Long winter coat and wallet CCW issue/problem encountered

PDA

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 16, 2010, 12:08 AM
So I'm at FedEx wearing a long winter coat covering up my strong side holster w/ gun (doing what else, shipping a gun to someone).

Wallet is on SAME side as gun - right side - gun is at 4 o'clock so very near right rear pocket.

Ordinarily, with a SHORT coat, this is not a problem, as you can put your hand UNDER the edge of the coat to grab wallet without exposing yourself. And I couldn't just pull my coat back on the right side, and expose my pistol. But this was a knee-length coat, so I had to do some fancy maneuvering to get that wallet out while the clerk was waiting for me to pay, *especially* since the holster interferes with pulling the wallet out smoothly and easily even under normal circumstances.

So this point of all this is a "note to self" kinda deal:

Put your wallet in your rear pocket OPPOSITE your strong side/ gun side when wearing a LONG winter coat! In my case, left rear pocket will work.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long winter coat and wallet CCW issue/problem encountered" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Brien Crotty
February 16, 2010, 12:49 AM
Another idea is to put your wallet in the inner breast pocket of your long coat (presuming it has one, of course).

B

rha600
February 16, 2010, 08:29 AM
I put my wallet in my front pocket. It's not good for your back anyway having it in the back pocket. :D

deadeyedog270
February 16, 2010, 08:42 AM
I carry mine in my front pocket started having nerve problems with it in my back pocket

kanook
February 16, 2010, 08:46 AM
front pocket here too. If someone wants my wallet, something else is back there.

Double Naught Spy
February 16, 2010, 08:51 AM
Put your wallet in your rear pocket OPPOSITE your strong side/ gun side when wearing a LONG winter coat!

Actually, it is a good idea not to carry the wallet behind the gun regardless of what coat you wear. It may be an uneasy situation if you need to produce ID for a cop and it looks like you are reaching for your gun.

bukijin
February 16, 2010, 08:58 AM
Sitting while your wallet is in your back pocket causes sciatica. Of course it depends how thick your billfold is LOL.

jackstinson
February 16, 2010, 08:58 AM
I always use my offside front pants pocket for my wallet.
It is far too easy to lift a wallet from a back pocket (aside from being quite uncomfortable).

Magic_Man
February 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
I carry mine in my front pocket. Only time it gets moved to my jacket is if the LCP is in that front pocket.

ArmedBear
February 16, 2010, 12:59 PM
In the old West, they'd have reach-through slits in the coat. You might consider such a coat.::D

JEB
February 16, 2010, 01:01 PM
i came to the same realization when i started carrying. i just couldnt figure a way to get to my wallet without showing my gun. so now my wallet rides left side rather than right.

ArmedBear
February 16, 2010, 01:05 PM
I generally shift my wallet, keys and gun to my coat pockets, if it's going to be an issue.

Vern Humphrey
February 16, 2010, 01:07 PM
I carry wallet and cell phone on the left, gun on the right. It just makes sense.

Mr. Whimsy
February 16, 2010, 09:24 PM
Ditch the wallet.

Carry a "wiseguy roll" of bills with a solid gold money clip in your left front pocket.

T. Bracker
February 16, 2010, 11:52 PM
If carrying in a back pocket, always in the opposite side from the weapon.

atomd
February 17, 2010, 04:42 PM
I never put anything in my back pockets. It's much easier for a pickpocket to get a hold of it. Also, you're less likely to notice if something falls out of a back pocket as opposed to front. I moved my wallet to my left front, got a belt pouch for my cell phone for my left side and have an LCP in my front right pocket now. When I have my 1911 in a pancake holster, there's nothing in front of it or behind it that I would need to take out in the line at a store like a wallet...so no one's going to see it unless I take my jacket off.

If you enjoyed reading about "Long winter coat and wallet CCW issue/problem encountered" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!