New Winchester Super Grade Not So "Super"

PDA

Geno
February 16, 2010, 11:59 AM
Dear The High Road Members:

I thought I would post this here for all to see and follow. I purchased this Super Grade two weeks ago. Well, I am given pause by the lack of quality control. For a $930.00 plus tax firearm, I expect more. I have returned the rifle to Browning/Winchester and will post any updates from them. I have provided a link to this thread so the representatives might make posts if they choose.

Geno

Dr. Xxxx Xxxx
XXXX Xxxx Drive
Xxxx, State XXXXX
XXX-XXX-XXXX
XXXX@XXXXXX.edu

Browning/Winchester Service
1 Browning Place
Arnold, MO 63010

To Whom It May Concern:

Please address the following problems with my newly purchased Winchester Model 70 Super Grade, caliber .30-06 Sprg. I have posted photographs at The High Road (dot org) for you to be able to view. Here is the link: [ http://thehighroad.org/showthread.php?p=6282978#post6282978 ]. I do not have photo paper to be able to print them. My specific concerns include the barrel’s bore, the stock’s barrel channel and the floor plate’s hinge.

The first problem that I noted when I arrived home was that the stock was not properly torqued. In fact, I was able to move the barrel action sideways inside in the stock’s barrel channel. I used my torque wrench and torqued the front screw to 40 pounds and then the rear screw to 40 pounds. The barrel was very noticeably not running straight in the barrel channel. See the picture posted at thehighroad.org Regardless, I figured that this was a matter that could be corrected by Winchester or an approved agent with a re-bed or a new stock.

At this same time, I examined the whole rifle over. The floor plate’s hinge is quite simply messed-up. The floor plate has approximately one-half inch lateral movement in both the left and right directions. There is something wrong with that floor plate hinge. I have never had a firearm that had such play.

The final concern is that barrel’s bore is both rough and pitted. It appears that perhaps a piece of metal was caught between the barrel tube and the mandrel during forging. When you examine approximately 1/8th” to 1/4th” inside of the bore, you will witness what appear to be disc-shaped cuts in the rifling and lands.

Following two days cure time for the scope mounts and rings, I took the rifle to the range. I have posted a target for your viewing. The target was fired at 100 yards, from a bench with sandbags. The ambient temperature was 23 degrees, and there was zero wind. Following each 3-shot string, I allowed 5 minutes to cool the barrel completely. The first three-shot group measured approximately 0.30”. I fired a second 3-shot group with measured approximately 0.60”. The 3rd 3-shot group measured approximately 1.80” and the final 3-shot group measured 2.10”. Now I mean to tell you, I am a whole lot better shot than that. When I returned home, I checked the stock, scope base and rings for looseness. Torque had held solid. As I cleaned the barrel, I noted the bore.

Specifically, I am requesting that Browning/Winchester install a new Super Grade barrel .30-06. I a requesting that the barreled action be bedded into a new Super Grade stock, and finally, I am requesting a new magazine floor plate. I don’t understand how a Super Grade could pass quality control and leave the factory in this condition. Feel free to contact me when you receive this letter and the rifle.

Your professionally,

Dr. Xxxx Xxxx
16-February-2010

Photos are provided below:

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Bore1.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Bore2.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Bore3.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/BarrelChannel.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Targets.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New Winchester Super Grade Not So "Super"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
esheato
February 16, 2010, 03:34 PM
Tag....I'm at work and can't see the pics.

Horsemany
February 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
Yuck!! They gotta fix it.

Geno
February 16, 2010, 05:33 PM
Horsemany:

You should see the stock in 3-D!! There is no way that anyone in QC reviewed that rifle. We'll now see how the repair goes. Thus far I have not been charged for the return shipping. It appears the dealer will pick that up. That's a smart way to not lose my business.

Geno

rswartsell
February 16, 2010, 06:53 PM
Geno,

Did you have reason to believe that Winchester would not make this good? Also, is there a reason you don't want a replacement rifle?

Geno
February 16, 2010, 08:00 PM
rswartsell:

I have no idea if they will make it right or not. I've never had to return a Winchester. If they choose to issue a new rifle, I am fine with it, but I had to detail the what's wrong issues in the letter. Certainly simply issuing a new rifle would be easiest. Hopefully they will either make it right, or issue a new rifle without undue delay.

Geno

rswartsell
February 16, 2010, 08:06 PM
I hope so too Geno,

I am looking forward to purchasing a new Model 70 in the not too distant future, I will follow your thread with interest.

smokey262
February 16, 2010, 10:10 PM
Super Grade my a**

Just out of curiousity, is the action glass/epoxy bedded? The last Model 70 I bought had the hot glue recoil lug bedding feature and it sat in the stock the same as your does.

Hope they make it right for you.

Geno
February 16, 2010, 10:23 PM
smokey262:

Yes, it is hard-bedded (resin). I wasn't real impressed with the bedding job. I didn't think to take pics of the interior of the stock...I should have.

You are correct that is no Super Grade rifle. That is precisely why I posted here. People need to see what is being turned-out, and people need to hold the company accountable. I want to buy USA-made firearms especially now. But they durned-well better be as-good-as (or better-than) what else is available.

Folks who have read my rants about Kimber know that I have extreme standards for firearms quality. They either are quality, or they are not. Kimber has lost my business for life, as a matter of principle. My principles can not compromised. So, here I sit waiting to see Browning/Winchester's principles.

What’s the old saying, “Beauty is only skin-deep, but ugly goes all the way to the core”? In this case, the ugly goes all the way to the bore. Here are some other pictures of the stock. What a shame to have such a wonderful piece of walnut destroyed.

Geno

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0059.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0060.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0061.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0062.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0065.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0066.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0067.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/100_0068.jpg

Horsemany
February 16, 2010, 11:04 PM
That's a great piece of walnut. The only thing I think they may not make right is the floorplate IMO. I've not seen a FN m70 that didn't have a sloppy flooplate as you described. I'd be surprised if a replacement rifle would have a better floorplate.

NVMM
February 16, 2010, 11:05 PM
Geno
Did you look at the rifle before you bought it?

Geno
February 16, 2010, 11:53 PM
NVMM:

Yes, I did inspect it. That the barreled action's screws were not torqued snug made the barrel channel's errant fit far less pronounced. In fact, that is what the dealer attributed it to, that it simply needed torqued-down. When the barreled action is not torqued, it has a free-floated barrel. When it is torqued properly, only the right side free floats. Who knows...it may just be bedding issues. But that bore?! It wasn't possible to see in the bore at that store. This would have been a good rifle to have had bore-scoped before purchase.

Geno

NVMM
February 17, 2010, 12:26 AM
I understand. I feel your pain pal.
I've been hearing of complaints about Remington but not much about Winchesters. Maybe a fluke?
I hope you get taken care of (in a good way).
Good luck

Horsemany
February 17, 2010, 12:33 AM
Proper bedding should keep everything centered up regardless of screw torque.

Maverick223
February 17, 2010, 01:47 AM
Can't believe they let that slip. Look forward to hearing their response. I plan to purchase a couple new Winchesters (a M-70 and 1895) in the near future, but my plans may change depending upon your results. Good luck.

:)

Geno
February 23, 2010, 07:38 PM
Update. I called Winchester today to confirm that they had received the Super Grade. They have and it, and it is waiting for a gunsmith's examination. The gentleman stated it will take about 3 or 4 weeks. I did alert them that this thread exists, here at THR.org, and that there are nice photos for their review.

Geno

Maverick223
February 23, 2010, 07:53 PM
Good grief what is taking them so long, I haven't even seen the rifle and I can tell what the problems are...it takes them a MONTH to do the same BEFORE starting work on it. Not so sure that I want a new M-70 now, but I will hold judgement until the rifle is assessed, repaired, and returned.

Geno
February 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
Maverick223:

Yeah...I pointed them to this thread. Among other things, they will see that I reacted to this incident by purchasing a new Kimber M84 LPT in .308 Win instead of waiting for the new Stealth in .308. Depending on how they resolve the matter, I may still buy a Stealth. Then again, perhaps I won't. There are equally priced alternatives on the market.

Geno

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/100_0193.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/100_0191.jpg

Jim K
February 23, 2010, 10:09 PM
That looks an awful lot like a sleeved barrel and a steel curl caught in the hammer forging mandrel. Both would be interesting in a rifle with Winchester on it.

Jim

Geno
February 24, 2010, 12:04 AM
Jim:

What do you mean, "sleeved barrel"? And what's a "curl"? Even with all the years I've shot, I still keep learning new terms. :) Thanks for the patience.

Geno

Shadow 7D
February 24, 2010, 01:20 AM
Sleeved barrel is just that, a liner with a sleeve, and a curl, most likely refers to a metal curl or chip from the rifling process getting trapped against the mandrill of the cutting head, wow, beautiful rifle, to look at, shame.

Geno
February 24, 2010, 10:49 AM
Oh. No, it's a regular barrel, but the target crown makes it look sleeved. I too suspect that something was caught between the forging hammers and the steel. Their finding will be interesting.

What gives me pause, it that it will take a month to repair?! How the Hades many defective Winchesters are going back anyhow?! :scrutiny:

Geno

rmfnla
February 24, 2010, 05:20 PM
The marks in the barrel look to me like they were made by a clamping device of some sort.

Geneseo1911
February 24, 2010, 05:53 PM
Folks who have read my rants about Kimber know that I have extreme standards for firearms quality. They either are quality, or they are not. Kimber has lost my business for life, as a matter of principle. My principles can not compromised.

Among other things, they will see that I reacted to this incident by purchasing a new Kimber M84 LPT in .308 Win instead of waiting for the new Stealth in .308.

Okay....now I'm confused

Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 06:45 PM
Okay....now I'm confusedI imagine that he decided that he didn't care for Kimber after he purchased it. ;)

Geno
February 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
Nope. That was me being an admitted an:

A) idiot
B) hypocrite
C) idiotic-hypocrite
D) rational
E) A little of all of the above

Kimber's rifles have excellent. It's their 1911A1s that burned me. And no, I won't touch their 1911s ever. I had 5 "Custom Shop" Kimbers, and... Well, you can search the threads. :rolleyes: I purchased the Kimber M84 at 21.5 percent off, which is a great financial deal. Thus far, it too seems to be an excellent rifle, as my other Kimber rifles were. So, from my point, purchasing the Kimber M84 was rational, because my former Kimber rifles were excellent. If I ever purchase another Kimber 1911A1, check me into a psych-ward!!

I was too vague in my post. Apologies. I do acknowledge that have a tendency to get too serious at times. For the sake of all due clarity of the matter, and I won't pull my punches: Kimber ain't the problem! Dennis (in their "Custom" Shop) is their problem, and they should have fired his backside. Kimber's Vice-president called me personally about Dennis' misconduct, and misrepresentations. That's how serious it was taken. Carry on. It's just me...bein' me. :o

Geno

Geneseo1911
February 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
10-4. I suspected that was the case.

Keep us updated on the Winny

Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 11:04 PM
Nope. That was me being an admitted an...idiotic-hypocrite.I see, didn't realize that you had that much of an issue with them...but then again I don't frequent the handgun forum too much because I am a rifleman in the truest sense. I like handguns and shotguns okay (and own both), but there is just something magical about a *good* rifle. I tend to be a little opinionated about hand/shotguns, despite not having a ton of experience with either, so I think it is best to let others argue about those matters. ;)

Geno
March 2, 2010, 01:26 PM
Browning has a nice on-line search feature to check on the repair's status. Here is what is posted to date on my "Super" Grade. I thought the "Jobs: MINOR REPAIRS" was comical. I know, they haven't seen it yet. <<Smirk>> I'd hate to see a major repair. :D

Geno

On-line Service Tracking Results:

Service Number : 123456
Customer Name : ****** ******
Address : 1234 Any Street, Your Town, MI 12345-6789
Firearm Type : MODEL 70, 30/06
Serial Number : ABCD1234
Received on : 19 Feb 2010
Est. Completion Date :15 Mar 2010*

Jobs: MINOR REPAIRS

Service Tracking results last updated on : 02-Mar-2010, 5:01 AM * Estimated completion dates are based upon repair volume and the type of firearm. Completion dates may vary and are subject to change. Please allow an additional 3 to 5 business days for shipping.

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 01:45 PM
I'd hate to see a major repair.That would be something like a bur in the bbl...or a misaligned/misshapened stock...or a wobbly hinged floorplate. It's a good thing yours doesn't have any of those problems...it would take them a month or so just to look it over. :neener: See ya in a few months. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/wave.gif

Geno
March 4, 2010, 09:54 PM
Well, it is waiting for final check. Now when I get it back, I can inspect it, fire it and take photos. Ya know, given that they started and completed it today, I can only imagine that they A) replaced the whole durned rifle, or B) did nothing. I hope it comes back with as-pretty of wood-as the original.

Geno

On-line Service Tracking Results:

Service Number : 123456
Customer Name : ****** ******
Address : 1234 Any Street, Your Town, MI 12345-6789
Firearm Type : MODEL 70, 30/06
Serial Number : ABCD1234
Received on : 19 Feb 2010
Est. Completion Date :15 Mar 2010*

STATUS : Firearm Is Ready To Be Inspected After Work Has Been Completed

Jobs: MINOR REPAIRS

Service Tracking results last updated on : 04-Mar-2010, 5:01 AM

* Estimated completion dates are based upon repair volume and the type of firearm. Completion dates may vary and are subject to change. Please allow an additional 3 to 5 business days for shipping.

Maverick223
March 4, 2010, 10:05 PM
Good luck...curious to know what they did, and more importantly, what it looks and shoots like.

Geno
March 6, 2010, 05:07 PM
Well, today I logged-in and found this up-date. I wondered how they were going to handle it. Now we know.

Geno

STATUS : Waiting For Replacement To Be Processed For Customer: We have determined your firearm is in need of replacement. The Browning/Winchester Service Center is processing an order for a replacement firearm.

Jobs Status
MINOR REPAIRS JOB COMPLETED
MANAGER GUN JOB COMPLETED
REPLACE GUN JOB STARTED

Service Tracking results last updated on : 06-Mar-2010, 5:01 AM

* Estimated completion dates are based upon repair volume and the type of firearm. Completion dates may vary and are subject to change. Please allow an additional 3 to 5 business days for shipping.

Maverick223
March 7, 2010, 12:21 AM
Great news, hopefully this one will have wood as nice, and properly constructed.

NVMM
March 7, 2010, 04:29 PM
Very good news! Excellent customer service. Not to bad of a wait either.
Geno, pics please of the new rifle when you receive it.
Hope you get a hand picked great one.

ElToro
March 7, 2010, 04:48 PM
i have a clasic super grade 25.06 from a few years ago. the trigger is kinda gritty. also it has a slightly buggered screw on the pistol grip cap. wasnt pleased about that. gun went back 2 times to fix the fact it wouldnt feed from the magazine. they never did address the trigger. and they added teh custom buggered screw

i also have a kimber 1911 that i finally traded off. for the money they want, at least it better work right for a while before it breaks.

so do they ship you a new rifle with the same serial ? or do you have to DROS a new rifle again at your dealer ? hopefully a red tag will follow this one through the shop and some extra attention will be paid to it.

Geno
March 7, 2010, 05:03 PM
I'm not sure what they will do for replacement, I imagine the entire rifle, and a new serial number. I'll post pictures of what they send.

Geno

Geno
March 8, 2010, 08:04 PM
Contacted Browning today, and was advised that they will be taking care of the paperwork for giving me a new rifle (new serial number too).

As a side note, this is the first call I have made since submitting the rifle for repair, so I haven't been pestering. Rudy was just about as rude and sarcastic as an employee can be! Bad day, Rudy?! The customer is always right, especially in 2010's economy, Sir!

Geno

Geno
March 21, 2010, 09:46 PM
Well, an update is in order, even though it is a Sunday and Browning/Winchester certainly would not be calling me on a Sunday. Regardless, here we are on March 21, 2010 and I still do not have my Super Grade back.

It's bad enough I had to go through the replacement process for a brand new rifle, let alone a "Super" Grade. It's bad enough that during the 1 week of spring vacation that I had from the college (I am a Graduate professor), I missed being able to take this new rifle boar hunting. I bought this rifle specifically to be able to take it boar hunting. Now, I have to wait until goodness knows when to finally receive it back?

It's just beginning to wear a bit thin. I expect better than this.

Geno

STATUS : Firearm Is Being Inspected After Work Has Been Completed
Your firearm has passed all inspections and a shipping ticket has been requested to return your firearm to you.

Jobs Status
REPLACE GUN JOB COMPLETED
RMA CREATION JOB COMPLETED

Service Tracking results last updated on : 20-Mar-2010, 5:01 AM

Geno
March 23, 2010, 02:00 PM
Well this will be an easy enough update. I just got off the phone with Browning/Winchester: the Super Grades are back-ordered through May. :rolleyes:

Geno

Maverick223
March 23, 2010, 04:08 PM
Why would they want to get you one quick, they already have your money. :rolleyes:

Geno
March 23, 2010, 04:56 PM
Agreed. I let them know I am not happy. I missed out on going hunting during my spring break, and that was the rifle's purchase intent, and now I have to wait until May?! It makes me ponder very deeply if I will or will not purchase one of the Winchester Stealth rifles when they finally hit the market. It this point, I seriously doubt that I will. Too, given the fact that they never communicated these facts to me, renders me very disappointed with their customer relations. I only called to assure that that the rifle had not errantly been shipped to someone else by accident. There was no compassion, no "we understand". No "We're sorry you missed your hunt"...nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

Score for Browning/Winchester as of 2010-March-23:

1) Product quality: Negative
2) Customer treatment: Negative
3) Follow-up Communication: Negative
4) Timely repair/replacement: Negative
5) Prospect of future purchase: Improbable

Geno

natman
March 23, 2010, 06:22 PM
Agreed. I let them know I am not happy. I missed out on going hunting during my spring break, and that was the rifle's purchase intent, and now I have to wait until May?! It makes me ponder very deeply if I will or will not purchase one of the Winchester Stealth rifles when they finally hit the market. It this point, I seriously doubt that I will. Too, given the fact that they never communicated these facts to me, renders me very disappointed with their customer relations. I only called to assure that that the rifle had not errantly been shipped to someone else by accident. There was no compassion, no "we understand". No "We're sorry you missed your hunt"...nothing, nada, zip, zilch.

Score for Browning/Winchester as of 2010-March-23:

1) Product quality: Negative
2) Customer treatment: Negative
3) Follow-up Communication: Negative
4) Timely repair/replacement: Negative
5) Prospect of future purchase: Improbable

Geno

It's a bummer that your new rifle had problems and an even bigger bummer that you'll have to wait longer to get a new one. This sort of thing is a risk you run when you buy a new gun in its first year of production from a brand new factory. Nobody can get a new Super Grade right now, it's not just you.

Just to put it in perspective, Winchester has acknowledged the problem and offered to replace the gun the first trip into the shop. It could have been FAR worse. I hope that the new gun is just as nice looking as the old one and completely satisfactory when it does come.

Best of luck.

Geno
March 23, 2010, 07:48 PM
Thanks natman. Your position is appreciated.

Geno

WoofersInc
March 23, 2010, 08:24 PM
Well, an update is in order, even though it is a Sunday and Browning/Winchester certainly would not be calling me on a Sunday. Regardless, here we are on March 21, 2010 and I still do not have my Super Grade back.

It's bad enough I had to go through the replacement process for a brand new rifle, let alone a "Super" Grade. It's bad enough that during the 1 week of spring vacation that I had from the college (I am a Graduate professor), I missed being able to take this new rifle boar hunting. I bought this rifle specifically to be able to take it boar hunting. Now, I have to wait until goodness knows when to finally receive it back?

It's just beginning to wear a bit thin. I expect better than this.

Geno

Quote:
STATUS : Firearm Is Being Inspected After Work Has Been Completed
Your firearm has passed all inspections and a shipping ticket has been requested to return your firearm to you.

Jobs Status
REPLACE GUN JOB COMPLETED
RMA CREATION JOB COMPLETED

Service Tracking results last updated on : 20-Mar-2010, 5:01 AM

If I read the order process form correctly it says firearm is being inspected. It also shows "replace gun job completed." So how are they inspecting a rifle that has a 2 month backorder? I would be asking questions on that one..

Maverick223
March 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
Hmmm, that is a good question. I think I know the answer, but I'd darn sure ask anyway...if only to make them look like idiots. :evil:

Badlander
March 23, 2010, 09:53 PM
Hope it works out well for you.

Geno
March 24, 2010, 11:14 PM
Yes, and it also states that a shipping ticket has been requested to return the firearm to me. That is why I called them. I got to thinking, who received my rifle?! Something doesn't add up.

Perhaps time to go up one level in communication for a follow-up and explanation. I won't waste my time with them the way I did with Dennis at Kimber. That went on for the better part of a year.

At the very least, they need to explain themselves. I'll follow up with customer relations as soon as I can. Too, I have been pondering putting a thread down under rate transactions, with a link to this post. I think I'll get at that tomorrow too, or ASAP.

At the very minimum, they should have communicated with me.

Geno

Geno
March 25, 2010, 12:21 PM
Just got off the phone with Rudy at Browning/Winchester. He advised that the way the rifle is listed as completed and ticket requested for shipping, is simply the way the computer presents the info. The gunsmith determined it needed to be replaced, and the simple matter is that they don't have any Super Grades in stock in .30-06.

Geno

Geno
April 1, 2010, 02:24 PM
No April Fools joking here, my replacement Winchester Super Grade .30-06 Sprg just arrived (about 20 minutes ago).

The stock's steel to wood fit is excellent. The wood's grain is very nice. It has nice straight grains and nice shadows when I angle it (effects of light and all). :)

The magazine floor plate is really nice and tight. It presents with perhaps 1/16" lateral play...if! :)

The bore is nice and clean. It looks smooth. No gouged-out steel bits. :)

A few added areas I checked before mounting the scope back on, the trigger is (as expected) as crisp as the first rifle. :)

The blued steel is as pretty as the first rifle. :)

So for now, I give this replacement Super Grade a 5-smiles vote. I'll hold the 6th smile for the day I break-in the barrel and check it accuracy. For now I have to content myself with cleaning it, mounting the scope and letting the LocTite dry. I can take it to the range for a break-in this weekend. Winchester does recommend a break-in, so I'll follow that. I'll post pictures as soon as I have an opportunity.

Geno

Maverick223
April 1, 2010, 02:31 PM
Great news, hopefully it will shoot just as good as it looks. Holdin' you to those pics you promised. ;)

Geno
April 1, 2010, 03:47 PM
Mav:

Here you go. I thought I would get out-of-doors pictures so the grain shows better.

Geno

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0354.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0357.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0356.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0355.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0360.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0361.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0359.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/Super%20Grade%20Replacement/100_0365.jpg

Maverick223
April 1, 2010, 04:07 PM
Looks great, here's hoping it shoots just as good. Glad that everything turned out good and it didn't take as long as proposed.

Geno
April 1, 2010, 04:42 PM
Thanks, Mav. I'm puzzled that they got one in so early given their previous feedback. All the same, it was great news, and a fine-looking rifle. I actually am confident that it will shot well. I don't doubt that they test-fired it to assure it was not a dude. <<pause>> I know; I'm an optimist. :D

Geno

Maverick223
April 1, 2010, 05:03 PM
I don't doubt that they test-fired it to assure it was not a dude.I would make sure of that to begin with. I wouldn't have any rifle that is a dude. :neener: From all the reviews (mostly featherweights) I have yet to hear of a bad review WRT accuracy. That isn't to say it is a tack driving benchrest rifle, but a better than average hunting rifle is fine with me. I am considering getting a Featherweight 7mm-08Rem. pretty strongly, just as soon as I get a 1895SBL.

rswartsell
April 19, 2010, 11:03 PM
Geno,

So drop the other shoe already! How did Winny .2 shoot?

If you enjoyed reading about "New Winchester Super Grade Not So "Super"" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!