Remanufactured 223 Primer Question

PDA

idahoglock36
February 16, 2010, 04:20 PM
Going through some range pickup and noticed I have some reman 223 with a weird primer indention on the brass. I'll try to add a picture so you can see. It appears when they were re-manufactured the primers were driven into the cases using a very strong punch. There is a heavy indent on the case that is not centered where the primer is. At first I thought it was another crimp added, now I don't know. Is this common for re-manufactured 223? I'm assuming the brass is still good, however there is a huge indent off center to the primer. Your thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Remanufactured 223 Primer Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ants
February 16, 2010, 04:23 PM
Doesn't it look like the primer crimp? Hard to see in the pictures, but it is Lake City.

rcmodel
February 16, 2010, 04:43 PM
It has nothing to do with them being re-manufactured ammo.
It's old GI brass.

The ring you see outside the primer cup is the remains of the original GI crimp used the first time when it was new.

The crimp was removed, probably by swaging, to be able to re-prime them a second time.
But that does not remove the old crimp ring showing outside the edge of the primer pocket.

rc

Quoheleth
February 16, 2010, 05:11 PM
From the title of the thread, I thought the question was going to be "how to remanufacture primers for the .223?"

Q

matrem
February 16, 2010, 06:29 PM
I'm a firm believer that it's better to remove unwanted metal, than to relocate it.

gdcpony
February 16, 2010, 07:40 PM
You can load them. It is just a way they crimped them in. It may not be pretty, but it is functional. Be sure there is no crimp remaining and have fun!

Sheldon
February 17, 2010, 03:34 AM
That is just normal crimped in primers. The military has that done to avoid a primer from failing out and jamming up a weapon. You just need to remove the crimp and it will reload fine.

rcmodel
February 17, 2010, 10:56 AM
Seeing as how he said this was re-manufactured ammo, the GI crimp has already been removed.

If not, they could not have re-primed them.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Remanufactured 223 Primer Question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!