Winchester .308 brass ...

PDA

tango2echo
February 19, 2010, 09:57 PM
Bought 100 pieces today from my local shop. I have used Winchester brass extensively in the past with good results. This lot measured 2.195 and longer!!! I had to trim all 100 pieces to 2.005!!! Am I being too picky, or is this much over spec acceptable? (BTW checked calipers and verified with second set.)

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester .308 brass ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Rollis R. Karvellis
February 19, 2010, 10:29 PM
When ever I buy new brass I size and trim it all just so i know it is right from the get go.

JDGray
February 19, 2010, 10:37 PM
Thats alot of trimming:eek: My Lee trimmer would have me flat wore out, after 100 cases! I've never bought new brass before, and will have to upgrade trimmers when I do:D

tango2echo
February 19, 2010, 10:38 PM
I do too, but Winchester is usually pretty close to 2.015 or under in .308. If it's under I let it go. I usually have to trim 6-12 pieces per 100 the first time. I thought this lot was excessive in length as it was .180 or more over max length for the caliber.

JDGray
February 19, 2010, 11:18 PM
Your lot of brass, might have missed a stage, in the manufacturing process.

That much trimming reminds me of making 9x18mm brass out of 9mm luger brass, a royal PITA!!

tango2echo
February 19, 2010, 11:38 PM
That's kinda what I was thinking. Other than length it is in spec.

It was a RPITA. The worst part was after I was done I remembered I still had a .308 trim die......

Redneck with a 40
February 20, 2010, 12:04 AM
I buy once fired .308 brass, Winchester and Remington only. Federal brass is junk, the military stuff is a total PIA, with the de-crimping and swaging, plus reduced case capacity, no thanks. I like Remmy and Winchester brass.:)

As far as factory ammo goes, I'd rate the Winchester over the Remmy, but I'd rate the Remmy brass over the Winchester.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "Winchester .308 brass ..." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!