Muzzle Flash?

PDA

racerngr1
February 20, 2010, 04:56 PM
I have been getting muzzle flast from my 40 S & W that I'm reloading. I'm using 5.3gr of Bullseye powder with 155gr bulletts. I guess it's not burning all the powder but my question is why does it do it and how do I stop it? I'm using my Lyman manual for reloading info.

Newbie Reloader

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle Flash?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
jfh
February 20, 2010, 05:11 PM
The fast powders flash more, generally--and Bullseye is one of the faster ones.

The only readily-available powder I know of that does not flash 'as much' is Ramshot's Silhouette (aka Win 570). You can check out the Ramshot reloading manual at their site; I don't know what powders they recommend for .40 S&W.

Jim H.

Randy1911
February 20, 2010, 07:34 PM
I use W231 in my 40 and have not noticed any flash. Give it a try. I load 4.9 with a lead TC 180 bullet. Some powder just flash a lot. My 44 mag using H110 flashes like I took a flash picture even in the daytime outdoors.

If you enjoyed reading about "Muzzle Flash?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!