Oppinions of the 6.8 spc

PDA

sprice
February 20, 2010, 11:59 PM
What are your oppinions of this cartridge? How does it compare to 5.56 NATO and 7.62x39? Would you ever buy a rifle chambered for this cartridge?

If you enjoyed reading about "Oppinions of the 6.8 spc" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
R.W.Dale
February 21, 2010, 12:06 AM
First off this cartridge really only makes sense when viewed in the context of fitting in an AR15 magwell

As far as terminal ballistics on game or "Other" contrary to the hyperbole it's really just a 7.62x39 that fits and most importantly FEEDS well from the aforementioned AR15 magwell

Think of the 6.8spc as a more expensive 7.62x39 for AR15's with about 50more yds range for equal performance

Here's an extensive thread where these cartridges are compared
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=503648&highlight=deer
with very good posts and comparisons by Kernel
http://www.thehighroad.org/showpost.php?p=6273951&postcount=111

Would I buy a rifle so chambered? if it was an AR15, it was priced right and I liked it there's be no reason not to..........provided I had the $$$$

rozziboy18
February 21, 2010, 12:47 AM
fine round, take 6 deer so far with it. basicly this round was brought about as a second choice for the ar platform and dose a great job, in my opinion, balistics ar good, and terminal performaces is much better that the 223. now with out starting the 5% more dead thing back up, better terminal performace, low chance of having to make a follow up shot or wounding an animal. the 6.8 is BASICLY a 223 necked up to a 115 grain 270 and is for the most part the mid way bullet between the 5.56 and the 7.62.

my .02 is that the 556 dose a good job in the deer department but i did have one that i wounded and never found, and the 762x39 do not have the ammo market that i require ie brass, with execptions of winchester, the 6.8 is a fine bullet but i have to warn you ammo is few and far between, and not cheep.

C-grunt
February 21, 2010, 02:55 AM
Its a good round for people wanting a bigger round in their AR.

I have a guy I have shot in my depts rifle class with who was a Navy SEAL. He stated they used it a couple times over seas and liked it a lot.

Only problem is, like stated above, that it doesnt have a huge market and therefor is expensive and somewhat hard to find.

I would personaly not buy a rifle for that reason. Also for my AR needs, defense and target shooting, the .223 is a great choice.

Shawn Dodson
February 21, 2010, 09:40 AM
I converted an older carry handle Colt AR15A2 to 6.8 and use it as my general purpose hunting rifle. Prior to this, I was going to sell the rifle.

To learn more: 6.8mm SPC History and Development (http://demigodllc.com/articles/6.8-mm-spc-cartridge-history-development-hornady-stag-arms-carbine/)

Zerodefect
February 21, 2010, 09:41 AM
I don't own a 6.8 yet, but plan on buying a Bison Armory Upper for my Colt 6920.

The 6.8spc Silver State armory that I've seen others run through a chrono seems about as fast as heavier 5.56 rounds. The Hornady stuff was a bit slower.
Some of the better 6.8 rounds were just as fast as 5.56!

Think about it, 110gn 6.8 going nearly as fast as 62-77gn 5.56, so yeah it outperforms 5.56. But there are no 6.8spc Pmags, so you have to run mags from C-products and a few other companies.

The 7.62x39 round has allways stunk at ranges outside of 200yds. IME, it needs a huge amount of holdover making it hard to aim without adjusting your optic.

6.8 is a better round for the AR if you want to hunt, or still don't believe that the new 5.56 defensive ammo works.

longdayjake
February 21, 2010, 10:03 AM
I happen to agree that it has a pretty similar trajectory to the 7.62x39. It also shoots a lighter bullet so terminal performance is reduced. The upside to it is that there is some really really accurate factory ammo for it. And it has a higher initial velocity so it can potentially be more lethal at closer ranges.

420Stainless
February 21, 2010, 10:52 AM
I like it. Nice compact cartridge that is easy to reload and fits my Ruger Mini good from a function and recoil standpoint. Haven't shot any deer with it yet, so I don't have any personal experience with how it performs on game. Got a bunch loaded up with Sierra Pro-Hunter's now and will be practicing and getting ready for next season. Its not a great choice right now if you like to go to the range and burn off a couple hundred rounds at a time. Cost per round of commercial ammo is running about $1.00 per shot.

I think it would be a fine youth chambering and may get my boy a Ruger compact in this one to start with.

bcaill4
February 21, 2010, 08:00 PM
It turnes the AR-15 into a legitimate whitetail and pig gun and has the potential get mainstream hunters to accept "black rifles". IMO a 16" 6.8 AR makes a great truck/ranch gun its kinda like a 30-30 levergun for the 21st centry. It is hindered by the high cost of factory ammo and the limited selection of bullets avaliabe for reloading as well as the confusion about the diffrent chamber specs.I think if someone came out with $8-10 a box ammo and cheap reliable mags it would really take off.

Vicious-Peanut
February 21, 2010, 08:18 PM
Makes no sense to me, go for the 6.5 Grendel.

44 Blues
February 22, 2010, 07:39 AM
There are MANY sources of complete guns and custom uppers as well as ammo and components -I don't understand why some folks on the web imply otherwise.

Look at the new Wilson Combat catalog - an entire section devoted to the 6.8.

There are several makers offering 6.8's -Bushmaster, Ruger, DPMS, Wilson Combat, Rock River, Stag, Noveske, Barrett, CMMG, Robinson XCR etc.

Ammo - Hornady, SSA, Remington, Corbon, Sellier and Bellot, Double Tap etc.

Reloading? got to Midway and look up .277 bullets - Barnes, Speer, Hornady, Nosler etc. there is no shortage of components.

If you want more punch out of the AR platform and don't want the bulk of an AR10, the 6.8 would be my choice. The 6.5 is another great cartridge but not for me as I don't have any ranges over 300 yards in my area so the extended range capabilities were not a factor for me...that and the fact that there are fewer manufacturers did not help. I ended up building a lower and buying a 6.8 upper from Titan Armory/AR Performance - it's been a fantastic shooter.

You may want to spend some time looking around here:
http://www.68forums.com/forums/index.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1fAYtwtkisE

Good luck with your decision.

If you enjoyed reading about "Oppinions of the 6.8 spc" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!