my m1 odyssey

PDA

mshootnit
February 21, 2010, 02:42 AM
I bought a SA June 1942 M1 Garand a few years ago, and it was maybe a little overhyped because the condition wasn't quite as good as I had hoped, but it is a good shooter. I realized right away that this rifle was having a problem kicking out the clips before they were empty causing shells to fly everywhere. I asked a knowledgable fellow and he referred me to the army technical chart which stated that the bullet guide and op rod catch assembly needed replacing. So I did using what I hope are good parts but the rifle now is doing the same thing as bad as ever. So I said what the heck and bought a new clip latch and spring and put in there along with a couple parts to make her look a little better. Hopefully problem solved but I guess we will see!
Everything I have researched about my rifle makes it a perfect example of a Korean war era rebuild which really intrigues me that maybe this rifle was used in both wars.
I would really like to replace my lower band so if any of you guys know where one is with a medium dark park finish I would sure use the info. I have the lower band that is semi rounded with a copper or brown color to it.
http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d14/rizbunk77/dgunpic.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "my m1 odyssey" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Orlando
February 21, 2010, 10:01 AM
Clip latch spring is usually the problem 99% of the time and the first, cheapest thing to replace. Should fix the problem. If you ahvent ever replaced the Op Rod spring I strongly suggest you do so. This is what cushions the bolt from slaming into the receiver heel when fired. Orion 7 http://www.m1garandrifle.com/Garandparts.htm is where I recommend for spring and other parts, stay away from Wolf brand Op Rod springs as they are overpowered and can cause short stroking

If you enjoyed reading about "my m1 odyssey" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!