Help me pick between three AR's

PDA

mshootnit
February 21, 2010, 02:23 PM
OK I am a non military sport shooter and pretty piss poor at that. But I do like to get out and fire off some rounds and expect to be able to hit what I aim at, I do tend to practice field positions more than some. I am looking at getting my second ever AR. I had a Bushmaster ORC and liked it except for the lack of sights. Now I am looking at three different rifles that really appeal to me. I would appreciate any information from any current owners or AR enthusiasts.

1. Stag Model 8 Piston Carbine. They really intrigue me becuase they had the balls to create their own simple affordable design.

2. Del Ton carbine from Aim Surplus. 669. Looks awesome but I don't know if the 4140 Chrome Moly barrel is right for the platform. I know the non chromed barrel was a problem with the original M16 so that has me wondering. Would a casual shooter ever know the difference? Do you have to clean more often with the chrome moly barrel to keep it running right?

3. A guy at work has a few Stag lowers and offered to sell me one for 250 total. That sounds great to me, then I could buy a partial upper and a complete M16 BCG and have some great internals.

Any thoughts on these rifles?

I was online looking at other rifles that have a sweet spot in my heart namely the milled Arsenals and there is a good one for sale, but I converted a Saiga 308 that now is shooting 2 moa or better even at 200 yds and I just cant justify another AK. Think its time for an AR!;)

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick between three AR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
briansmithwins
February 21, 2010, 02:30 PM
1) I'm not convinced that the add-on pistons solve any real problems. DI has worked with ARs for 40+ years.

2) I wouldn't have a AR w/o a chrome bore. Longer barrel life, easier to clean, much better corrosion resistance, and easier extraction. They didn't add chrome to the M16 just to drive up the price.

3) The way I would go. Get exactly what you want in bite size chunks. $250 ain't that great of a price though. I've recently seen stripped lowers for $55 a pop.

Good luck. BSW

tju1973
February 21, 2010, 03:36 PM
Give a good look at CMMG Bargain Bins also-- I spent the $25 for hand picked, but I probably would have done good for the normal $599...I got the 18" , 1/7" government profile one and I love it....oh, and the barrel is chromed also..

http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e70/tju1973/DSC02990.jpg

HOLY DIVER
February 21, 2010, 03:37 PM
yea option 3 is the way to go. i'd highly recommend looking into BRAVO COMPANY for the upper parts (u said you wanted quality) they sell parts second to none in my book

tju1973
February 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
OK I am a non military sport shooter and pretty piss poor at that. But I do like to get out and fire off some rounds and expect to be able to hit what I aim at, I do tend to practice field positions more than some. I am looking at getting my second ever AR. I had a Bushmaster ORC and liked it except for the lack of sights. Now I am looking at three different rifles that really appeal to me. I would appreciate any information from any current owners or AR enthusiasts.

1. Stag Model 8 Piston Carbine. They really intrigue me becuase they had the balls to create their own simple affordable design.

2. Del Ton carbine from Aim Surplus. 669. Looks awesome but I don't know if the 4140 Chrome Moly barrel is right for the platform. I know the non chromed barrel was a problem with the original M16 so that has me wondering. Would a casual shooter ever know the difference? Do you have to clean more often with the chrome moly barrel to keep it running right?

3. A guy at work has a few Stag lowers and offered to sell me one for 250 total. That sounds great to me, then I could buy a partial upper and a complete M16 BCG and have some great internals.

Any thoughts on these rifles?

I was online looking at other rifles that have a sweet spot in my heart namely the milled Arsenals and there is a good one for sale, but I converted a Saiga 308 that now is shooting 2 moa or better even at 200 yds and I just cant justify another AK. Think its time for an AR!;)
Unless you just want the rollmark, most lowers are pretty much the same, and in fact some companies turn out lowers for several others...I even saw a AR w/ a Vulcan at the LGS marked lower, that aside from the rollmark, it probably functions as any other...

$250 seems high for a stripped Stag...

Ughh
February 21, 2010, 03:44 PM
I think most barrels these days are chrome lined.

Personally, I do believe in the Piston operation system. Keep in mind that HK had been using this technology for decades in their G36 to great success while the whole DI stuff, even if for 40+ years, had a rough, rough start. Vietnam....

As for your 3 choices, and staying within the confines of your 3, the Stag model 8, lol, caught my interest too.

iamkris
February 21, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm not convinced AT ALL that 99% of people need a chrome lined bore, or chamber for that matter. Most of us, don't shoot 7000-10000 rounds through our rifles, we clean them religiously, and we don't operate in the humid, sopping jungles of Vietnam. The obsession that people have with chrome lining is misplaced for most people, IMO.

The reason chambers/barrels were chrome lined on the M16 was because of poor (or no) cleaning habits and humid conditions caused pitting in the chambers. Soon, the pits got deep enough that brass flowed into them and caused poor extraction. Barrels are chromed to make them last longer under extreme conditions like sustained full auto fire over many 1000's of rounds.

It also degrades accuracy if that is what you are looking for. If you can get it for the same price and everything else you want, go for it. But I wouldn't make or break a deal based on

mshootnit
February 21, 2010, 10:14 PM
Anybody shot a bunch of rounds through a model 8 here?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aJcAGK5F-xE

If you enjoyed reading about "Help me pick between three AR's" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!