HK USP 45 review?

PDA

browningpotato
February 21, 2010, 04:14 PM
Alright so I jsut bought a very lightly used HK USP 45 for what I think was a very good price. However, to be honest I do not know much about them, I primarily bought it for a home defense gun because the price was right.

I know they are known for being somewhat big and bulkt but I don't mind that. I am not going to be concealing it and have big hands so size is not an issue. I have tried to search for some reviews but havent come up with much. I watched a kid on youtube put one in sand and it jammed nealry every time, that was somewhat disheartening. So... what say you, are these good reliable battle pistols or simply overhyped?

If you enjoyed reading about "HK USP 45 review?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
February 21, 2010, 04:20 PM
Unless you have a house full of sand, I'd say you don't have anything to worry about.

They are good guns, I don't know why anyone would want to stuff their own pistol full of sand, someone else's, or an employer's, sure, my own, no.

NOLAEMT
February 21, 2010, 05:03 PM
if you want, you can make any gun fail.

I have a USP compact 45 for concealed carry, and its been 100 percent reliable, with the exception of some reloads that were way too long, that didn't allow the gun to go into battery. it is very accurate, and easy to shoot.

The full sized is even better, with its recoil buffer shooting 45 feels like shooting many 9mm's. The mags are expensive though, but deals can be had.
Apparently the full sized guns will also shoot 45 super right out of the box as well.

Ops Officer
February 21, 2010, 05:13 PM
I've had a USP-45 Expert for several years. It has to be the most accurate semi-auto I own. I've never had a hiccup with any .45 ACP I've fired. I have mostly SIGs and I had to get used to the different field stripping and cleaning. I haven't subjected it to sand and dirt so I am unsure how fussy it would be to grit. But I imagine it would balk at a lot of grit, since it has fairly close tolerances. The HK Pro Forum and the SIG Forum have a lot of knowledgeable HK people who could answer all of your questions.

CPshooter
February 22, 2010, 03:40 AM
I wouldn't worry about some guy on youtube if I were you. H&K makes one of the best, if not THE best combat pistol in the world. They are generally regarded as the most reliable polymer pistol on the market by anyone who knows their pistols. If you stick any gun directly into a pile of sand, it will jam. Once enough sand gets into any pistol/rifle action, there's nothing stopping it from jamming up.

H&Ks are not built with "too tight" of tolerances where reliability might be comprimised. No more so than a Glock, XD, M&P, etc. I would call them "precision-made" before I call them "tight." This is evident just by how the barrel and barrel hood wears. For example, a Glock's barrel hood usually wears first in one corner, then evens out. An H&K, on the other hand, shows faint, perfectly even wear throughout the barrel hood, and even the barrel itself (i.e., the "smileys" on the barrel).

I've owned Glocks, XDs, and just about every other popular polymer pistol on the market. H&K is the only manufacturer that has truly impressed me with overall build quality and sheer reliability. I had a Glock 19 that constantly stovepiped (also had another 19 that was reliable). My brother's 26 has experienced 1 or 2 stovepipes. I had an XD45 that experienced some FTF with WWB FMJ for the first 50 rounds or so. It was reliable after that, and I also had an XD40 that was very reliable from day one. H&K is the only brand that I've owned that has been flawless from the first round and has remained flawless for thousands of rounds after that. When I'm lazy I don't even bother cleaning both of my H&Ks between range sessions and I still know I won't experience any failures whatsoever. They are THAT reliable. I don't judge reliability by sandbox torture tests on youtube. I go with what works for me.

They aren't for everyone, but you should at least give yours a chance before you let a homemade torture test video alter your opinion on a gun that you just bought. You bought yourself a great pistol that is of a much higher build quality than its competition. Overhyped? Definitely not.

So... what say you, are these good reliable battle pistols or simply overhyped? The first one.

Good luck!

Hk Dan
February 22, 2010, 02:54 PM
I have 2 USP45s. They are surgically accurate, and have been very reliable. They shoot softer than my G21SF and my 1911s. Yep, they're big, and heavy. And they are absolute bulldozers, one tough, tough gun.

You'll like it, don't sweat the internet reviews. Go shoot it and write your own.

Dan

NOLAEMT
February 22, 2010, 03:14 PM
Their is also a lot of talk about how "HK hates its customers" and that Customer Service is awful, etc. This has not been my experience. I sent an email to HK about ordering new parts, not because I needed them, but I wanted to know where I could get them when the time came. Turned out I emailed the wrong person at HK. I got an email back the next business day from a very nice woman, who explained to me who I needed to contact in the future for these kinds of questions.

She also had looked up the part numbers for all the parts I was asking about, ( I had described the parts, but didn't have the part numbers). and had them listed with their prices, and the email, phone, and fax number of the person I could contact at HK to order them.

Pretty good CS in my opinion

rygould
February 22, 2010, 03:48 PM
It's true there isn't an abundance of reviews on the USP 45. When I was looking at picking one up I went through the same thing. Even saw the video you are talking about.

From what I could find in my online research you other than those who hated everything HK, the USP was viewed as ultra reliable and very accurate, and my USP has been nothing but that!

It is a blast to shoot, and after the match trigger upgrade it is one of the most accurate guns I own. Even my little 110lbs wife loves shooting it.

I am meticulous about cleaning, but that video of the sand experiment is out of control. If you are buried under a pile of sand then I don't think that the your sidearm functioning is going to be your biggest concern. However, I have no doubt that it would fire with far more than the average bit of grime and dirt in it.

HGUNHNTR
February 22, 2010, 08:07 PM
My HK USP Tactical is the most accurate pistol I have ever fired. Reliability has been 100%.

devildog32713
February 22, 2010, 08:08 PM
watched video, honestly, I would be more inclined to know that my handgun can survive those tests, but I would'nt actually subject MY handguns to these tests, I name and care for dearly with guns. :D

Bentonville
February 22, 2010, 08:17 PM
A good place to get reviews, howbeit probably a little biased, is HKPRO.com. I find those folks to eat and breathe HKs with great knowledge and enthusiasm.

Tim L
February 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
CDNN has (had?) 10rd mags for $20 and 12rd mags are about $50. Unless you absolutely have to have 12 rd mags just stick with the 10rd mags. Great guns, enjoy.

Echo9
February 22, 2010, 10:30 PM
I know you just got it, but consider selling it for an HK45.

February 23, 2010, 12:37 AM
bp-

The HK USP (9mm, .40, .45) is a massively built pistol and every one of the six HK USPs (3 USP45s, 3 USP9s) that I have are reliable, exceptionally accurate and quite durable.

If you like the USP45, it fits you well and you are satisfied with what you paid for it, then you've done well.

Enjoy your USP! :)

HGUNHNTR
February 23, 2010, 11:04 PM
I'll wager most of the folks that like to repeat the "because you suck" thing have never fired an HK, let alone dealt with customer service.

Hk Dan
February 24, 2010, 11:56 AM

Ya know the USP45 has the same grip size as the USP40 and USP9? At the widest point it's 1/8th larger in circumference. I was absolutely stunned, because it certainly feels bigger.

Oddly, the Mark 23 was the same size as the USP45. Go figger. They ain't all that big.

February 24, 2010, 11:38 PM

Ya know the USP45 has the same grip size as the USP40 and USP9? At the widest point it's 1/8th larger in circumference. I was absolutely stunned, because it certainly feels bigger.

Oddly, the Mark 23 was the same size as the USP45. Go figger. They ain't all that big.

Dan,

Yep, the mind will play tricks.

"Bigger" cartridges equate with "bigger" gun in the minds of most including me and rightly so. Not so the USP, initially designed as a .45, then "scaled down" to house the "smaller" service cartridges (9mm, .40).

I thought that the .45 was indeed larger in the grip than the others, 'til a friend who loves 'em more than I, brought me "up to speed" a few (5) years back.

I guess HK left many of the dimensions (like the grip) alone and just stuffed more of 'em (the smaller cartridges, that is) into the available volume within the grip. Overall, they are a little pricey, but nice guns, like 'em much as I do my many, many Glocks and would never dream of parting with any of them.

Works for me. :evil:

:cool:

February 24, 2010, 11:43 PM
I'll wager most of the folks that like to repeat the "because you suck" thing have never fired an HK, let alone dealt with customer service.

Most likely the cause of such sentiment. Internet "lore" at its best. (worst?)

Dealt with them twice over the last few years (for extra parts, accessories) and got courteous treatment, quick service and speedy delivery. Nice folks.

benderx4
February 25, 2010, 10:34 AM
Great choice of a gun for home defense, congratulations! May I suggest the Insight UTL M2 as an excellent tactical light specifically made for this weapon? Also, I found the Hogue Handall slip-on grip made the overall grip and handling much more comfortable for me. Happy Shooting!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3535/3314109414_abdd2f6f54.jpg

MachIVshooter
February 25, 2010, 12:53 PM
I had one, it was a reliable and accurate gun. But I found the ergonomics left a bit to be desired and ended up selling it to buy my S&W 1006. Never regretted that move. But if you like the way it feels, it should serve you well for many years.

If you enjoyed reading about "HK USP 45 review?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!