Any Reloading Manuals show RL17?

PDA

Eyesac
February 21, 2010, 03:39 PM
Are there any reloading manuals that have loads using RL17?
I'm going to pick up a new manual but I don't want to buy one that doesn't list (specifially) .284win loads (162gr Amax's) with RL17...

Anyone know?

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Reloading Manuals show RL17?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 21, 2010, 04:01 PM
The Alliant powder guide shows it, because they make it.
They don't show it for the .284 though.

Online at http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/default.aspx?page=/reloaders/index.aspx&

You can order the Free Printed copy from here:
http://www.alliantpowder.com/resources/catalog.aspx

Not too sure how good it would work in the .284 though.
It seems you might not be able to get enough of it in that small a case with that long a bullet, even with a compressed charge.

rc

the_right_reverend
February 21, 2010, 05:00 PM
checked loaddata.com and they don't even turn up anything in 284 win use RL

Eyesac
February 21, 2010, 06:19 PM
Yeah, I've looked and looked and haven't found anything to start with. There was a lot of fuss when it first came out on bench rest sites about some pretty big gains with 6.5-284 and 284win. Some guys report up to 150fps faster with RL17 over H4350 and the like... I own the lee manual, and looked in the Lyman 49th and there's nothing. Oh well, guess I'm on my own. Yikes!

NCsmitty
February 21, 2010, 10:24 PM
Oh well, guess I'm on my own.

Not quite, 'cause you got people here, and the internet.

There's a good bit of info at the 6mmbr site. Just scan down the page to find .284 load data including Rel-17. Good reading on several different cartridges.
If you contact Alliant by email or phone, they will also give you information.

www.6mmbr.com/7mm284.html

NCsmitty

Eyesac
February 21, 2010, 10:37 PM
Yeah, I saw some pretty good stuff over there, but I still don't know how they decided where to start and where to stop. Those benchrest guys push stuff pretty far sometimes (at least to me). I know to look for signs of pressure in primers as good as the next guy, but it's not exactly a science. Say for example I decide on a load and my primers aren't showing any terrible signs of pressure but in actuality I'm at 80,000psi (don't want to shoot that all day). Or is it an accumulation of signs, like hard to extract and some primer pressure signs, so I stop? I just wish Alliant had some load data... What about this quickload business?

NCsmitty
February 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
You need to take the data and reduce the powder charge by 10% to start. At the 6mmbr site, they have the warning to reduce loads by 10% spread through out the article.
WARNING: With all loads, ALWAYS START 10% LOW and work up incrementally.
Using primers as pressure indicators can give you false information because of the differences in primer cup thickness. I know that many factory loads will show flattened primers.
If you have primer strikes that creates cratering around the firing pin, that is an indicator of too high pressure and you need to reduce the load by a grain or two.
The base of the case can also show pressure if you see ejector hole brass flow on firearms so equipped.
These situations manifest themselves at around 70,000 psi and up and generally are clear indicators of too high pressures.
Hard bolt lift and sticky extraction is the method that I use most often, but if you stay within the min and max loads listed, usually you won't experience high pressure indications.
As you probably know, each rifle is an individual and you have to treat them as such. Start low and do not exceed legitimate maximum listed. Most often you will not have to use the max loads to achieve your accuracy goals.
Tools such as a chronograph can help you develop safe loads by comparing actual velocity to what the data says you should be getting, based on like firearms and barrel lengths.

NCsmitty

Kernel
February 22, 2010, 11:15 AM
The .284 Win and .280 Rem are VERY similar. From a handloading perspective, almost identical, except for OAL of course. Typically the Win holds 66 grains, the Rem 67. Near twins. Starting loads for the .280 can be used for the .284. Alliant’s web sight shows Reloader-17 loads for most every bullet weight under the .280 Rem cartridge.

Eyesac
February 22, 2010, 11:57 AM
Thanks for the advice guys!

ants
February 22, 2010, 01:19 PM
Have you noticed that you can use the Products button on the Alliant web site to find load data?

Go to the Alliant Powder web site, click on Products, then click on Rifle, Shotshell or Handgun powder.
Scroll down until you find the powder that interests you, and click on it.
When the page opens for your selected powder, there is a link that says "View all recipes". That opens a page that lists all the cartridges for which they have online data.

This navigation path often reveals data not listed in their online Reloader's Guide.

If you enjoyed reading about "Any Reloading Manuals show RL17?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!