Getting ready to take CC class in Oklahoma!

PDA

ThomasP
February 21, 2010, 03:42 PM
Im getting ready to take the concealed carry class in oklahoma, and was wondering what to expect. I have grown up around gun's since I was a youngster , and think I have a pretty good handle on gun safety and such. I see that it is a 8 hour course , and was curious if there was anything I should be prepared for.

Thanks for the help.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting ready to take CC class in Oklahoma!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
forindooruseonly
February 21, 2010, 05:45 PM
It is pretty basic. If you have grown up around guns and have been taught how to be responsible in handling firearms, that part of the test will not be an issue. There is also no real qualification score during the shooting portion, other than just demonstrating that you can safely handle a gun.

The most important part of the course has to do with the legal complications of concealed carry. When I took the class, this took most of the time and caused most of the confusion. The when and where you can or cannot carry, and when lethal force should be used from a legal standpoint is essential to understand. Lots of people don't really understand the limitations of carrying a firearm, which is unfortunate because if you don't stay within the legal constraints it will turn into a problem. I think for most people this is the hardest part of the test.

Its been ten years since I took the course in Oklahoma, so others who have been through it more recently might be better at giving pointers.

ClayInTX
February 21, 2010, 05:47 PM
This is what to expect, there might be some variation because each instructor does it his way and there is no canned curriculum:

You must present a valid photo ID, such as a DL.

You’ll be fingerprinted and must fill out a questionnaire to be used for your background check.

You will be photographed for your CCL.

You will be instructed in the laws regarding concealed carry, and obtaining and renewing your license.

You will get some advice on using your gun and what to say if you do.

You must demonstrate a proficiency with your gun, not a real hard test.

Do not express opinions of what you think you should do.

Elm Creek Smith
February 21, 2010, 11:45 PM
You will have to shoot to prove that you can handle a firearm without harming yourself or those around you through...well, let's just say negligence. If you don't mind being limited in what you can carry, you may shoot a revolver or derringer(!), which limits you to those particular firearms. If you shoot a semiautomatic, you can carry whatever you want later.

The classroom portion isn't a big deal. Part of the classroom portion will concern the "how tos" of carrying concealed since in Oklahoma "flashing," or not concealing your handgun properly, can get you into trouble.

ECS

rawhide
February 22, 2010, 01:16 AM
Go here: http://www.ok.gov/osbi/Concealed_Weapons_Licensing/index.html

Download and read this before going to class:
http://www.ok.gov/osbi/documents/SDA_Lawbook_NOV_2009.pdf

The OK CCL course is not a conceal carry training. It is a course to ensure that you know the SDA. You have the responsibility of knowing what it says. Good idea to read it before attending class. The firing portion of the test is very basic and best to use semiauto. For the purposes of the class a .22 is fine.

After completing the course you will provide 2 passport photos (about $7 at Walgreens)
Go to Sheriff in the county you live in for fingerprints.
Wait

Also see: www.handgunlaw.us
And gets lots of valuable info from: www.okshooters.com

Next - get some defensive handgun training.

Good luck

Mikhail Weiss
February 22, 2010, 12:57 PM
ThomasP:

Some of what the others have posted is probably good advice, but I took the class years ago without any study or preparation beforehand and found the eight hours interesting, amusing, informative.

Here's what I found when I walked in the door.

Students were required to hand their guns over for function and safety inspection, those guns then zip-tied to prevent loading, after which they were then returned to the students.

The owner of the range spoke to the students and said something like this: they believed wholeheartedly in the Second Amendment, and though they'd rather CCW licenses not be necessary, such licensing was nonetheless required by the state. For that reason, the class was not designed to exclude anyone, but to include everyone. The primary purpose was to satisfy state requirements that students were familiar with the SDA law. A secondary purpose was to assure that students knew basic, safe gun handling.

The eight hour class started with a very basic introduction to firearms and cartridges and how they worked (semi-auto and revolver). Basic safety lecture. An interesting and amusing discussion of the various ways in which one might carry a concealed weapon, what kinds of holsters one might use, with many different ones offered up for visual aid, a discussion of the various sizes and types of firearms that one might carry and how those choices might affect one's ability to effectively conceal what you're carrying, a discussion of the differences between men and women and how each might comfortably carry a firearm, what do with said firearm when in public and needing to answer the calls of nature. Probably some other things I've forgotten.

Then a lawyer took over to discuss the SDA, with lots of time given to where one might legally carry, per the law, and where one might not, with many, many examples given. There was also a discussion of the various penalties for carrying in places prohibited by law, and a little discussion of the possible penalties for carrying in places prohibited by private parties. Much more interesting was the extensive discussion of when one is justified in using deadly force and when one is not. Lots of back and forth questioning, here, between students and the lawyer.

In fact, unlike ClayInTX suggested, there was a lot of tossing about of opinion among students, and a lot of correction of opinion by the lawyer. That's some of what made this part of the class interesting. Here's one example: A discussion came up about exiting a mall only to find some loon bashing up your car with a baseball bat. Lawyer asked what we'd do in a situation like that. One fellow said he'd draw and tell the guy to stop. Lawyer then said he would not be legally justified for doing so and could in fact be prosecuted for it. A car is not a life. One is only legally justified in drawing if one feels a life is in imminent danger. If, however, the car owner were to tell the loon to stop bashing up his car and the loon turns on him with the baseball bat, the legal justification for use of lethal force may change. If the loon sez, “I'll knock yer brains out!” but does nothing more, there is no legal justification for drawing on him, much less shooting him. If the loon sez, “I'll knock yer brains out!” and approaches the car owner, the law now sees words + action = possible legal justification for use of deadly force. That “possible” is in there because a jury of your peers would have to be convinced that you took the only action available to save your life. Some sympathetic jurors may agree in this case. Others may not.

Opinions are beliefs held without substantive knowledge. Airing them during the legal discussion was a good way of correcting many inconsistencies between what folks felt was “right” versus what the law had to say about such matters.

In any event...

...we then took a written test covering the SDA. The test was open book, that book being the Self Defense Act publication, provided as part of the class material. We broke for lunch after the test.

Upon returning from lunch, we ventured into the range for the shooting portion of the class. Though we had bee instructed to bring one 50-round box of ammo, I don't think we ran through but half of it. The shooting requirement had two basic pass/fail components: (1) don't point the gun at anyone, (2) put most of your rounds on a big piece of paper not very far away. The instructors stressed that if you pointed a gun at the instructor, you would fail. If you had trouble staying on paper, you'd be taken aside for remedial instruction until you could do it. If you still could not keep your rounds on the big paper after remediation, you'd fail.

So here's what we did: five rounds in five seconds at three yards on a B-27 target. Five rounds in ten seconds on a B-27 target at five yards. We were asked to try and put our rounds in the 9 ring, but any hit on the big piece of paper was considered a pass. Some did well. Some did very well. A very few were surprisingly bad, but only one fellow ended up being taken aside for remedial instruction.

Most shooters used 9mm semi-autos, a handful used revolvers, one fellow used a Ruger Mark II.

The class did not supply the SDA application, so I picked one up from the OSBI. I also visited the basement of the Oklahoma City jail for fingerprinting, and my local tag agency for a pair of passport photos.

Hope you enjoy the class and have fun.

duns
February 22, 2010, 01:26 PM
Here is what I found when I took my CHL course in Texas. The shooting test is dead easy - I hadn't touched a gun in my life until a week before the class/proficiency test, I had had only one lesson, my eyesight is not great, and my shooting proficiency score was still very respectable, more than halfway between a pass and a 100% score. You can see from this that the required standard was very low. The written exam was also extremely easy - multiple choice questions with really obvious right answers - so obvious that everyone in my class scored 100%. What I found useful in the class was that it pointed me to the relevant legislation and demonstrated some of the subtleties in the law. Weeks later, I keep rereading the handgun laws and associated statutes because I feel I'm still very far from understanding them.

If you enjoyed reading about "Getting ready to take CC class in Oklahoma!" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!