.38 Special brass I haven't seen

PDA

Corner Pocket
February 21, 2010, 05:37 PM
I picked up a considerable quantity of .38 Special brass at the range the other day. About 30-40 pieces of them just have four characters as the headstamp:

R A 7 6

Don't think I've ever ran across these before. Just wondered about reloading them. Your thoughts/insights are appreciated. Thanks!

Corner Pocket

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Special brass I haven't seen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rcmodel
February 21, 2010, 05:50 PM
They are military Remington Arsenal made in 1976.

Perfectly fine for reloading.
(Check for GI primer crimps, but it is unlikely)

ants
February 21, 2010, 08:37 PM
Remington Arsenal, or Remington Arms?

Runningman
February 21, 2010, 08:50 PM
rcmodel nailed it. Remington operated the US Government owned arsenals under contract from 1940 -1985.

fguffey
February 21, 2010, 08:54 PM
http://www.odcmp.org/1101/USGI.pdf

F. Guffey

ArchAngelCD
February 22, 2010, 05:43 AM
I think it's Remington Arms, not Arsenal. (But does it really matter? Close enough for Government work!! LOL)

KSCCHTrainer
February 22, 2010, 10:01 AM
Definitely check for crimped in primers. Quite a bit of .38 military manufactured during the Viet Nam era had crimped in primers. I wound up with a bit over 3000 of the R A series, WCC (Winchester) and LC (Lake City) military .38 special brass picked up off a police range and they all had crimped primers. Not difficult, but a PITA having to ream the crimp out of each one before reloading.

rcmodel
February 22, 2010, 12:27 PM
Remington Arms it is.

What was I thinking? :eek:

rc

fguffey
February 22, 2010, 12:32 PM
RA Raritan Arsenal

http://toonsatwar.blogspot.com/2007/05/raritan-arsenal-publications-dpartment.html

F. Guffey

ReloaderFred
February 22, 2010, 01:06 PM
All of the military .38 Special brass is good brass to load. I'm still using some I got back in the early 1970's from a nearby Air Force Base, when we used to hold training sessions with the Security Police Detachment there.

Hope this helps.

Fred

GRIZ22
February 22, 2010, 01:54 PM
RA Raritan Arsenal

Raritan Arsenal stored ammo and did rebuilds on various small arms but never produced ammunition. RA headstamp is Remington Arms.

rmfnla
February 22, 2010, 04:44 PM
I once got hold of some .38 Spl Remington FMJ tracers.

Those were fun!

DesmoDucRob
February 22, 2010, 05:02 PM

Now that the OP's question has been answered; What would one do with such an animal?

rcmodel
February 22, 2010, 05:35 PM
Used by law enforcement years ago for training.
I have seen old photo's of the FBI shooting revolvers with tracer from the crouched point shooting position they used to use many years ago.

rc

ReloaderFred
February 22, 2010, 08:29 PM
Tracers were used by the military. I got several boxes of them from the Security Police at Edwards AFB. Lots of fun to shoot, since they make big spirals as they go downrange. Accuracy was terrible, since most of the projectile was taken up with trace material, and didn't have much weight.

I still have one round left, since the others all went sailing off out through the desert at night..........

Hope this helps.

Fred

GRIZ22
February 24, 2010, 06:33 PM

Now that the OP's question has been answered; What would one do with such an animal?

38 tracer was commonly carried by pilots and aircrew who carried 38 revolvers. As long as you had your revolver and some tracers you always had a signaling device for rescue. The tracer ammo could also be used defensively if needed.

Ed Harris
February 25, 2010, 03:34 PM
Problem using tracer for signal is that it looks like AA fire and may draw friendly fire onto your position. By the 1970s the Navy replaced them by the pen flare Mk. 79 Mod. 0.

Ret.CWO
February 25, 2010, 03:59 PM
GRIZ22 is correct. I was with 1stMAW in VN 65 & 66 in a section that was responsable for keeping flight crews emergency equipment supplied and updated. Most flight crew carried S&W Mod. 10 revolvers in 38Spl. cal.There were FMJ rounds and FMJ Tracers provided for emergency singling. I guess one could in a pinch use the round for self defence.

If you enjoyed reading about ".38 Special brass I haven't seen" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!