Tactical Bolt Knobs - Why?

PDA

WNTFW
February 21, 2010, 09:19 PM
What is the reason to change to a tactical bolt knob?

I'm not trying to crack on any body that has them. I honestly want to know why change from the original.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical Bolt Knobs - Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Snakum
February 21, 2010, 09:24 PM
The small "sporter" bolt handle knob on most rifles can be difficult to work during rapid fire. Using a large tactical knob provides better leverage, a better grip, and just seems easier to work all around. I could work a large tac knob very quickly using an 'inside knife-hand' to release and pull and then use my thumb to sling it forward and lock it down. I can't do that consistently with a small knob. Others might be able to, though.

Benelli Shooter
February 21, 2010, 09:38 PM
The tactical knobs seem like they would catch on more things in the field.

Geno
February 21, 2010, 09:44 PM
Tactical bolt handled are easy to grasp even with gloves. They don't catch on things in the field. Several of my friends rifles have been so equipped. Yes, they do add leverage, both for opening and closing tight chamberings.

Geno

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/100_0192.jpg

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/100_0193.jpg

Maverick223
February 21, 2010, 09:58 PM
They help give you a good positive hold and make rapid fire easier because of the added leverage (due to typically being longer). IME they do tend to hang up on brush and such, but I don't have them on my hunting rifles and that is why they make bolt locking safeties. In my opinion they serve a purpose, but are not necessary, and unwelcome on most hunting rifles as far as I am concerned.

:)

Flatbush Harry
February 21, 2010, 10:16 PM
I'm not tacticool, so I just go with standard knobs. I also prefer women with OEM standard equipment as well. I guess I'm just traditional.

FH

Geno
February 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
Flatbush Harry:

I got you covered friend!

Geno

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx63/Geno20101960/Hunting/StandardBolts.jpg

Zak Smith
February 21, 2010, 10:32 PM
A spherical knob, as on the AI and TRG, is very fast to operate. The large conical-shaped knobs can be knocked up a little bit by some shooters with large hands.

Bobarino
February 22, 2010, 03:27 AM
i don't have one on my long range build yet, but it's coming right after a new trigger. i didn't think it would be necessary either but since my scope is monstrously huge and i use low rings, i keep scraping my fingers on my scope since there's only about 1/4" of clearance between the knob and the scope. en extended bolt handle would allow me to get a full grip on it without banging my knuckles on the scope. there are some practical reasons behind them sometimes. plus they're just kinda cool :)

WNTFW
February 22, 2010, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the replies.
I don't shoot any events where speed is an issue. In the local F-Class you are waiting for the target to be scored & have to single load anyway. I guess it is probably really nice in the sniper type of matches. I am not familiar with them much, it sounds like speed is more of an issue.

I never considered the gloves and the scope being in the way.

Offfhand
February 22, 2010, 05:30 PM
Why! Mainly to appeal to the wannabees.

Maverick223
February 22, 2010, 05:37 PM
Why! Mainly to appeal to the wannabees.If it is worthless, then why do the "bees" use it? Contrary to belief they do have a purpose other than "looking tactical", and work well in some instances. That could have something to do with many of the best LRPRs in the world coming with them as standard equipment.

ArmedBear
February 22, 2010, 05:42 PM
LOL @ Maverick223.

Those involved in certain competitions or other applications favor specialized controls that work especially well for a specialized purpose. My match .22 pistol has a very funky custom grip on it, that works GREAT for its purpose, but would be a truly horrible thing on a general-purpose handgun.

For general use, the standard knob has been tried and tested in combat and in the field. So I understand the point of "tactical" and "standard" bolt handles.

What I DON'T get is the "butter knife" bolt handle. It's got just about the opposite of any characteristics I could ever imagine wanting.

rcmodel
February 22, 2010, 05:47 PM
But, real solders did not dress up in tackycool black Ninja garb, with double layer Nomax fighting gloves, when they still used bolt-action rifles with standard knobs.

Maybe you need Tackycool gear shifter knobs when you wear Tackycool nomax gloves?

rc

Maverick223
February 22, 2010, 05:56 PM
LOL @ Maverick223.Doncha be laughin' at me...I'll use my mean internet face. http://forums.nitroexpress.com/images/graemlins/smilies/general/av-3.gif :neener:

What I DON'T get is the "butter knife" bolt handle. It's got just about the opposite of any characteristics I could ever imagine wanting.Never really thought about it too much (or owned one), but you are very right. They do look nice and streamlined though.

JWF III
February 22, 2010, 07:57 PM
If speed is the issue, why not just use a 55-90+ year old Enfield? I don't think they can be touched by anything bolt action, when it comes to speed. (Save maybe a straight pull.)

They may have their purpose, but I think probably 75% of the people that have them, got them just for the looks.

Wyman

Maverick223
February 23, 2010, 01:06 AM
If speed is the issue, why not just use a 55-90+ year old Enfield?Accuracy. I am not saying that they are inaccurate, but without doing loads of work to them, there are much more accurate rifles available for less money.

Horsemany
February 23, 2010, 11:11 AM
They may have their purpose, but I think probably 75% of the people that have them, got them just for the looks.

Ding Ding Ding! Anyone who doesn't agree with this is fooling themselves.

doubleh
February 23, 2010, 12:03 PM
"What I DON"T get is the butterknife bolt handle."

I have hunted with this type handle on a 30/06 since the late '60s. I can't tell any difference in using it compared to the other bolt actions I own with conventional bolt knobs. I also like the way it looks, especially on a rifle with a Mannlicher style stock. Whatever floats your boat I guess. Tactical style bolt knobs sink my boat. :D

farscott
February 23, 2010, 02:02 PM
What I DON'T get is the "butter knife" bolt handle. It's got just about the opposite of any characteristics I could ever imagine wanting.
It works well for me with my small fingers. Very easy to grasp and operate. I can see how people with longer digits may not like the "butter knife".

ArmedBear
February 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
If I'm looking through my scope, I want something I can work entirely by feel, without my fingers slipping off. A bolt knob that sticks away from the stock slightly lets me do that, quickly and reliably, in all directions, with our without gloves on.

A butter knife offers nothing to keep one's fingers from sliding off the end when working the bolt rapidly, and many of them seem to be curved so that sliding off would be the natural thing for fingers of any length to do.:)

rcmodel
February 23, 2010, 02:10 PM
Anyone who doesn't agree with this is fooling themselves.Try one on a horse hunt using a saddle scabbard.
You might change your mind.

They don't poke you in the ribs quite as hard when carrying slung either.

rc

ArmedBear
February 23, 2010, 02:13 PM
I think that what he was saying was that 25% of users DO have them for some practical reason.

Hunters on horseback would be among those 25%, except that I'm guessing that few hunters on horseback use the things.:)

rcmodel
February 23, 2010, 02:23 PM
Well, I think hardly anyone uses them too.

Myself, I have had a strong hankering for a Mannlicher Schoenaur Model 1950 Carbine since I fondled my first one in 1968! And not because of the butter-knife bolt handle.

Those things are just too well made, slick, & cool!

Unfortunately, I never did want one bad enough to pay over two grand for one though!

rc

Tang419
February 23, 2010, 03:21 PM
While on this topic, what would be a good tactical knob for my Sendero SF-II ? I would like one that needs more recessing in the stock, and doesnt come as close to the scope. Is that possible ?

Uncle Mike
February 23, 2010, 03:45 PM
Anything is possible! Do a search on 'Tactical' or 'Extended' bolt knobs, this will help you decide on the style, length, diameter and so on for your bolt knob. Then it is just a matter of sending your bolt off to have it worked.

Horsemany
February 23, 2010, 07:37 PM
Anyone who doesn't agree with this is fooling themselves.

Try one on a horse hunt using a saddle scabbard.
You might change your mind.

They don't poke you in the ribs quite as hard when carrying slung either.

rc

I think you and I are saying the same thing rcmodel.

February 23, 2010, 08:14 PM
I shoot my bolt action .308 alongside the service rifle folks during matches. We shoot "tactical" stages at 200 and 300 yards and an F-Class stage at 600 yards. That means we have rapid stages just like the service rifle folks. We shoot at "hostage" type targets and have two sighters followed by 5 shots per head (two heads) at 200 yards in 60 seconds then two sighters followed by 5 shots per head (two heads) at 300 yards in 70 seconds. This is one of the reasons why I ordered a Badger Ordnance M2008 action for my .308. The Remington action has a 90 bolt lift compared to 60 on the BO. The bolt length and knob type/style makes a HUGE difference under these circumstances. The less time you spend working the bolt, the more time you have to aim or resolve unexpected problems. I had to make a lot of changes to the bolt on my Remington so that it'd clear the PRH scope. My final creation is very similar to the AI bolt knob as is the BO bolt and knob.

For those of you that don't want or see a need for a "tactical" bolt handle then so be it, but why try to find fault with those that find them to be practical and necessary in order to be competitive. As for what folks used to do, how is that relevant to this discussion? This thread is yet another example of the arrogance of so many members here. If it's not how they want it then it's not needed or not good enough. Get over yourselves!! :barf:

JWF III
February 23, 2010, 08:32 PM
Try one on a horse hunt

Never have wanted to hunt a horse before. Are they a challenging hunt? How do they taste?:neener:

Wyman

Uncle Mike
February 23, 2010, 08:42 PM
You tell em' 1858!

If you want a Tactical handle, then by all means, get one. Best thing is to get yourself a weld-on handle and grind/machine away till you get it like you want it, then... off to the smithie to get your creation made into life!

Howard Roark
February 23, 2010, 10:01 PM
I make and install my own. Occasionally I do some for friends that are competitive shooters.

http://www.mindspring.com/~abodom/bolt.JPG

http://www.mindspring.com/~abodom/bolt1.JPG

dubbleA
February 23, 2010, 10:30 PM
For those of you that don't want or see a need for a "tactical" bolt handle then so be it, but why try to find fault with those that find them to be practical and necessary in order to be competitive.

That pretty much sums up my thoughts too. +1

To the folks that worry about rifles equipped with enlarged bolt knobs....are you concerned with some 1911's having beveled mag wells, ambidextrous safties, extended slide releases etc? Just saying......:neener:

Geez, several rifles of mine came with "tactical" style bolt knobs. I tried taking some off but the threaded stud really bites into your hand...... very untacticool :rolleyes:

Like Zak Smith I really like the feel and operation of my TRG 42 bolt with it's very round knob.
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f268/dubbleA/Rifles%201/TRGKnob.jpg

Comloz
March 29, 2010, 06:34 PM
Take a look at this
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKDWMEoZS8o&feature=player_embedded#

If you enjoyed reading about "Tactical Bolt Knobs - Why?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!