Dilemma S&W M13 or SIG P226?

PDA

wnycollector
February 22, 2010, 05:21 PM
I just ran across two great deals on to classic guns. A 4" S&W M13 .357 for ~$325 or a West German SIG P226 9mm for less than $375. Both pistols are shooters not safe queens. They are cosmetically in good good condition but mechanically excellent. The classic carried a lot and shot a little.

I already have a West German P226 (plus three other 9mm pistols), but do not have a 4" K frame .357. I have several K frame .38's in 4" and 5" lengths, plus two N frame .357's, so I'm really not lacking in that department either. I guess I just like getting a good deal:) I plan on buying one of these (in a perfect world both!), so any input would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dilemma S&W M13 or SIG P226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
aHFo3
February 22, 2010, 05:39 PM
Great dilemma! As a revolver guy, I would pick the 357 especially since you don't own a k frame 357. I can see the appeal of the SIG as well, but you already own an identical one. It doesn't sound like you're looking for investment purposes, so forecasting resale is a waste of time, just go with your gut, flip a coin, let your family vote, draw straws, or see what kind of multiple discount you may get if they're from the same source and lay them away. You can't go wrong, so don't fret.

joe_security
February 23, 2010, 09:43 AM
I vote M13. Assuming its in good working condition, you will enjoy this revolver. Try the Safariland Comp 2 speedloaders, there are smooth and fast.

wlewisiii
February 23, 2010, 11:04 AM
I'd say to snag the S&W - that's a good price on one of the great revolvers.

Really, though, it's a matter of feel - which one feels better in your hand? I point better & shoot more accurately with revolvers even though I learned to shoot handguns with a 1911 courtesy of Uncle Sam. Your Milage Will Vary so check it and see.

William

Boats
February 23, 2010, 12:01 PM
Of the two, the S&W is likely to appreciate since S&W doesn't make revolvers anymore, just shooting locks.:p

Thaddeus Jones
February 23, 2010, 12:07 PM
I'd go with the model 13. For all the reasons previously mentioned. Plus it has soul :) TJ

NG VI
February 23, 2010, 12:30 PM
The 13 for sure.

Sigs are cool, but you've already got one, and you can never have enough older S&W revolvers.

Captain38
February 23, 2010, 03:57 PM
PARTICULARLY, if the Smith & Wesson in question is a Model 13, 13-1 or 13-2, which would mean it was manufactured prior to 1982 and that its barrel is pinned to the frame AND its cylinder holes recessed!

wnycollector
February 23, 2010, 07:45 PM
that its barrel is pinned to the frame AND its cylinder holes recessed!

It is NOT P&R (its a 13-3). If it was, I would have bought it on the spot no questions asked. I am leaning in the M13 direction. In all honesty, the only reason the SIG was in the running is that it's a West German made pistol!

Boats
February 24, 2010, 01:48 PM
It is NOT P&R (its a 13-3). If it was, I would have bought it on the spot no questions asked. I am leaning in the M13 direction. In all honesty, the only reason the SIG was in the running is that it's a West German made pistol!

One more data point for you. Bruce Gray is one of the leading SIG gunsmiths in the entire nation. He had this to say about old school SIGs. . . .

The truth is, the occasional suspect MIM part notwithstanding, that modern P-series pistols are in most other respects far superior to the relatively fragile German-made crap that we threw away after shedding spring boxes and frame rails like fleas off a Hamburg whore back in the early days of SIG's so-called "Golden Era".

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/454103913/p/3

Iggy
February 24, 2010, 01:53 PM
Another vote for the S&W Model 13

Nick5182
February 24, 2010, 02:02 PM
I own neither of those two, and if it were up to me, I'd choose the sig. However, if I was in your situation and already had a 226, I'd go with the S&W.

wnycollector
February 24, 2010, 04:55 PM
I ended up buying the S&W M13-3. The best part is that I ended up getting it for $295:) And yes, pic's will be forthcoming. Thanks for the input!

jad0110
February 24, 2010, 11:10 PM
I ended up buying the S&W M13-3. The best part is that I ended up getting it for $295 And yes, pic's will be forthcoming. Thanks for the input!

Excellent price, congrats! 4" Model 10s often sell for that price, so you did good!

I have a 3" 13-3 and love it. The round butt and fixed sights make it an exceptional gun for CCW. And the DA trigger on my example is ultra slick. I've got other P&R S&Ws, I was just happy to finally find a 3" K Frame. Just stay away from the really hot, sub 140-150 grain .357 loads, as they are pretty hard on the forcing cone.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2013%20357%20Magnum/DSC01078.jpg

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2013%20357%20Magnum/DSC01083.jpg

golden
February 24, 2010, 11:59 PM
WNYCOLLECTOR

Both are good guns and are well made. You can shoot inexpensive generic is both.

S&W 13
I was issued a 3 inch model 13 and found it to be a very nice carry gun. The 4 inch model is a little easier to shoot with the longer, heavier barrel giving it a nice feel.

SIG 225
This is a compact gun that also carries well. It is not too heavy and can shoot even WINCHESTER White Box quite accurately.

Now the bad news.

S&W 13
The best load in the .357 magnum round is the 125 jhp. IT IS TOO HOT FOR THE MODEL 13. My agency used the 110 grain load and when we tried the 125 grain ammo, the forcing cone split.
I like this gun, with HOGUE grips on a 4 inch model and WINCHESTER White Box 110 grain jhp. It is pleasant to shoot and has good power.

SIG 225
The bad news here is again, the ammo. You can shoot any load you like as long as it is pointer or round nose ball (full metal jacket). It will jam on even full metal jacket if it has a flat tip. I discovered this the hard way.
It will not shoot FEDERAL, REMINGTON, SPEER or WINCHESTER hollow point.
IT WILL SHOOT CORBON Power Ball rounds without a hitch.
A Dutch cop who carried one told me that their issue load was the GECO BAT round which is a "CAPPED" hollow point, similar to the Power Ball.

If you do not mind the buying only the Power Ball for carry, it makes a nice carry or car gun.

By the way, the double action pull was a little rough. Not as good as my 226. That can be fixed by a good gunsmith.

charlie echo
February 21, 2012, 03:08 AM
WNYCOLLECTOR

Both are good guns and are well made. You can shoot inexpensive generic is both.

S&W 13
I was issued a 3 inch model 13 and found it to be a very nice carry gun. The 4 inch model is a little easier to shoot with the longer, heavier barrel giving it a nice feel.

SIG 225
This is a compact gun that also carries well. It is not too heavy and can shoot even WINCHESTER White Box quite accurately.

Now the bad news.

S&W 13
The best load in the .357 magnum round is the 125 jhp. IT IS TOO HOT FOR THE MODEL 13. My agency used the 110 grain load and when we tried the 125 grain ammo, the forcing cone split.
I like this gun, with HOGUE grips on a 4 inch model and WINCHESTER White Box 110 grain jhp. It is pleasant to shoot and has good power.

SIG 225
The bad news here is again, the ammo. You can shoot any load you like as long as it is pointer or round nose ball (full metal jacket). It will jam on even full metal jacket if it has a flat tip. I discovered this the hard way.
It will not shoot FEDERAL, REMINGTON, SPEER or WINCHESTER hollow point.
IT WILL SHOOT CORBON Power Ball rounds without a hitch.
A Dutch cop who carried one told me that their issue load was the GECO BAT round which is a "CAPPED" hollow point, similar to the Power Ball.

If you do not mind the buying only the Power Ball for carry, it makes a nice carry or car gun.

By the way, the double action pull was a little rough. Not as good as my 226. That can be fixed by a good gunsmith.
Really, interesting, thanks. Was waiting for a S&W Mod 13 or 65, but now I may as well get the Ruger GO100, since we plan to shoot heavy loads, 148 o 200 grains...

Yes, I know: Thread necromancy. Just pass on by, if you ain't got useful to say.

wildehond
February 21, 2012, 09:16 AM
I'll go with the Sig 226. the workmanship on those German examples are something else.

If you enjoyed reading about "Dilemma S&W M13 or SIG P226?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!