Who Are the Best Smith & Wesson Revolver Gunsmiths?

PDA

smoking357
February 22, 2010, 06:05 PM
Cylinder and Slide comes to mind. Who else?

I want a custom barrel made and some other services on a N-Frame.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Are the Best Smith & Wesson Revolver Gunsmiths?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
MrBorland
February 22, 2010, 06:27 PM
Off the top of my head, for the type of work you're asking about, the names that come to mind are Randy Hollowbush, Alan Tanaka, Jim Stroh, Travis Strahan, Mark Hartshorne, Sandy Garrett.

There's also Randy Lee, who's the smith for competitive wheel gunners. Grant Cunningham is also highly respected, but his wait time is very long.

Also check out Matt Almeda (revolverarmorer.com).

Google each for more info (I'm running out the door). I don't have personal experience with any of these, but each is highly respected.

9mmepiphany
February 22, 2010, 08:47 PM
i have had a experience with Randy Lee of Apex Tactical in Morro Bay CA. his work is awesome and his action work defines the S&W action's potential...he has completely re-engineered the hammer sear geometry

he has another smith, Scott Folk, now working with him, who has extensive machining experience for any work you might be interested in. www.ApexTactical.com

Nomad
February 22, 2010, 09:30 PM
I'm a big fan of Frank Glenn, www.glenncustom.com

Brian Williams
February 22, 2010, 10:11 PM
Bowen.

RidgwayCO
February 22, 2010, 10:18 PM
David Clements did a terrific job on my 4" M691. And the price was reasonable too.

http://www.clementscustomguns.com/

F1
February 22, 2010, 10:52 PM
What about S & W themselves? They just did a warranty repair for me, no postage cost and round trip less than a week.

9mmepiphany
February 22, 2010, 11:02 PM
What about S & W themselves?

they only wish they could do what Bowen, Glenn or Lee could do

Brian Williams
February 22, 2010, 11:03 PM
S&W will only do what they made, not much in the way of custom.

sw282
February 23, 2010, 11:12 PM
Smith redid a couple of Model 19s for me. Wont use them again. They left the grip stud out of one I had reblued and charged me shipping when I sent it back for them to correct their mistake.. I plan on trying C&S soon

jad0110
February 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
Another vote for Matt Almeda. He does excellent work for very reasonable prices. Plus he is a really great guy to work with, really a pleasure to do business with.

As for S&W, I would only use them for (1) Warranty work (on guns made after mm/dd/1989 - not sure the exact date) or (2) possibly a factory reblue.

deano186
February 24, 2010, 10:19 PM
Nelson Ford in Phoenix is the only guy I've used, but I've always been happy with his work.

230therapy
February 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
I won't deal with Garrett. Northern Virginia Gun Works charged me nearly $200 for a trigger job on a SIG that left the gun non-functional (failure to fire). They refused to refund my money AFTER offering to return the gun in original condition. I guess they thought it was a fair deal to pay $200 for cleaning the slide. Needless to say, I just sent it back to SIG for repair.

Grant Cunningham did a great job on my S&W K18.

If you enjoyed reading about "Who Are the Best Smith & Wesson Revolver Gunsmiths?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!