Titanium Rifles

PDA

exbiologist
February 22, 2010, 07:46 PM
What's the downside, other than cost? I know it weighs less than steel, does it rust or corrode in any way? Is it as hard as steel, will it scratch more or less than steel? Any special maintenance issues or issues when handloading titanium receivered guns. Any special issues when mounting scopes to titanium?
Reason I'm asking is I'm kicking the tires on a .325 WSM Browning A-Bolt Ti. 5 1/2 pounds is pretty tough to beat.

If you enjoyed reading about "Titanium Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
rogertc1
February 22, 2010, 08:12 PM
Very Expensive to machine. Can't make an entire gun out of Ti.

blackrussian
February 22, 2010, 08:23 PM
Ti has excellent corrosion resistance. But there are issues with rifling a Ti barrel, IRC.

jr_roosa
February 22, 2010, 09:07 PM
Titanium isn't all that great except in certain applications. It's main appeal is that it sounds cool. If you believe ads then you might think that titanium it's best friend carbon fiber can cut diamonds all day long and then slice a tomato afterwards.

It is less strong than steel, but stronger than aluminum, so it fills a middle ground. It doesn't take a finish easily, but it forms a very thin layer of oxide on the outside that prevents further corrosion. It is also tricky to work with.

It's great for items you would make from aluminum, but would like to get away with less material or make it stronger with about the same weight. It's also good for items that you would normally make from steel, but you would like to make lighter and in exchange are willing to give up strength. It makes a nice bicycle frame, for example.

Titanium is also flammable. You can build a bonfire with it if you use magnesium for kindling. I don't think that it gets hot enough in a barrel to ignite.

If you had a titanium barrel, I bet it would wear out in no time.

-J.

exbiologist
February 22, 2010, 09:17 PM
Ok, but the two mainstream titanium rifles (Remington and Browning) have stainless barrels right?

Uncle Mike
February 22, 2010, 10:20 PM
Ok, but the two mainstream titanium rifles (Remington and Browning) have stainless barrels right?

Right...the only thing Ti on these guns are the receivers. You cannot use Ti for a barrel, even with a liner, Titanium does not do well for barrels.

No special precautions have to be adhered to with the Ti receivers.

rha600
February 22, 2010, 10:24 PM
in a bike, I'll take Ti any day.

In a rifle (or pistol) eh, I'd rather have SS.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 23, 2010, 01:07 AM
I *really* want a Rem 700 Alaskan Ti in .280 Rem. Receiver only, as UM said. Only downside I think you'll find, other than cost, is that it will only last 4 lifetimes, instead of 5 like a steel receiver gun. :)

waterhouse
February 23, 2010, 02:37 AM
Had one in 260. Great gun, no issues with the Ti receiver. It turns out I prefer the balance/feel of the regular mountain gun (steel) so I sold the Ti, but it was a great gun other than the cost.

exbiologist
February 23, 2010, 11:35 AM
I hadn't really considered them until I found a NIB Abolt Ti for $1,100, which has really got me thinking hard about this.

Tang419
February 23, 2010, 03:23 PM
The Rem Ti rifles are really nice.

Uncle Mike
February 23, 2010, 03:30 PM
Something else to ponder....the .325WSM has one foot in the grave as we speak, in the near distant future you'll be reloading for the rifle...if this is of any concern.

SpeedAKL
February 23, 2010, 03:32 PM
Ti is light and has excellent heat resistance, which is why you see it frequently in aircraft components and high-performance automobile engines. Not cheap though!

Tang419
February 23, 2010, 03:33 PM
People have been calling the .325 dead since it came out, but just like the .45 GAP, its still hanging on and gaining ground slowly. It has been 5 years since it was released, and there are still rifles being chambered for it, and ammo being produced. So I have to respectfully disagree with you on this.

You still have Browning, Winchester, Kimber, and even Nosler Custom rifles being chambered for it. I'm not a huge fan of the shorties, but I did own a .325 until last year, when I decided I didn't need it along with my .338 Win Mag. It's a great chambering. As far as ammo, Winchester, Double Tap and Nosler are loading for it.

Uncle Mike
February 23, 2010, 03:42 PM
Disagree away...but Winchester cut 325 production by 30%, and that was 'last' year, if the numbers do not respond this year, they will cut it again.

There will be ammo loaded in this guise for sometime, but unless this round takes off, and seeing how it has no real advantage over already established cartridges, I doubt it ever will, I think it will enjoy an early retirement.

Art Eatman
February 23, 2010, 04:29 PM
My 700 Ti in 7mm08 was 3/4 MOA, right out of the box. That's with both Core Lokts and handloads. With a Leupold 3x9, ammo and sling, it's 6.25 pounds. Much appreciated by my ancient legs. :) The stock fits me well enough that the recoil at the bench is not at all onerous--and the butt pad is good.

Color me "really happy". :D

February 23, 2010, 05:08 PM
My 700 Ti in 7mm08 was 3/4 MOA, right out of the box. That's with both Core Lokts and handloads. With a Leupold 3x9, ammo and sling, it's 6.25 pounds.

While I agree that the Alaskan Ti rifles are very accurate and beautifully made, are you sure that you're correct about the weight? I'm having a hard time believing that the rifle, scope, rings/base, sling and ammo tip the scales at only 6.25lb. I'd be more inclined to believe 7.25lb based on the weight of my Alaskan Ti in .300 WSM with a Zeiss 3-9x40mm scope and Talley Lightweight one-piece rings/bases. Not trying to cause an argument, just curious that's all. I didn't care for the stock on the Alaskan so I switched it for a much nicer Bell and Carlson model.

Since you mention 7mm-08, my "new" Savage Weather Warrior 16 FCSS in 7mm-08 with a 1:11.5 barrel isn't doing well at all with 139gr SST bullets from Hornady. I'm hoping the next range session is a lot better than the first two.

:)

February 23, 2010, 05:14 PM
By the way, I get the impression from Remington's web site that the Alaskan Ti models have been discontinued. Any thoughts or first-hand knowledge about this?

waterhouse
February 23, 2010, 06:37 PM
While I agree that the Alaskan Ti rifles are very accurate and beautifully made, are you sure that you're correct about the weight?

Art may not have an Alaskan Ti. The first ones were just called 700 Ti, and they weighed less than the later Alaskan models. My 260 was one of the originals and on a fairly accurate scale came in at 6.3 scoped and slung.

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 23, 2010, 08:41 PM
Had one in 260.

Which one, waterhouse - Rem?

Oh, now I see you answered that - wow, cannot believe you didn't keep that one, WH!

1858, how hard or easy was it to sell your stock?

Uncle Mike
February 23, 2010, 08:46 PM
By the way, I get the impression from Remington's web site that the Alaskan Ti models have been discontinued. Any thoughts or first-hand knowledge about this?

While the fat lady is just clearing her throat right now on this issue...she'll be singing shortly!

The 700Ti has not been a stellar seller for Big Green, so I would imagine it is in the sights of the bean counters....they are being 'slightly' discounted at most wholesalers right now, and have been for a while now! Problem is, they are still way up there as to price!

P.B.Walsh
February 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
Would Ti be any good for a rifle stock? Better then aluminum, but with better resisance and same weight.....

February 23, 2010, 09:59 PM
The 700Ti has not been a stellar seller for Big Green, so I would imagine it is in the sights of the bean counters....they are being 'slightly' discounted at most wholesalers right now, and have been for a while now! Problem is, they are still way up there as to price!

But it's not listed on Remington's website under 700 models, hence my suggestion that Remington is quietly dropping that model. I'm very happy with my Alaskan in .300 WSM and have no plans on getting rid of it. It shoots very, very well.

1858, how hard or easy was it to sell your stock?

I didn't sell it ... it's still in the closet.

Uncle Mike
February 23, 2010, 10:07 PM
hence my suggestion that Remington is quietly dropping that model.

Yup!.....sssshhhhhhhh, me tinks big green want to keep it a secret!

TehK1w1
February 23, 2010, 11:17 PM
P.B. Walsh, finished Ti products are NOT cheap. you could make a stock out of it, but between the cost of materials and difficulty of machining it would probably be quite expensive.

waterhouse
February 23, 2010, 11:40 PM
It was a great gun Dr. tad, but I shot the regular steel mountain rifle better offhand, someone offered me way too much for the Ti, I'm 30 so carrying an extra pound means nothing at this point, and I prefer the look of the laminated wood.

Mainly the way too much money offer though :)

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 23, 2010, 11:46 PM
Cool. Gotta ask, whaddja get fur it? :)

P.B.Walsh
February 24, 2010, 01:10 AM
I know, just curious to know if it would be a better riflestock, money being no objust of course.....

February 24, 2010, 01:13 AM
Do you mean the complete stock like an AICS or just the bedding block? Personally, I think that it'd be a total waste of money for either. 6061 aluminum uncoated has decent corrosion resistance and strength and with any kind of surface treatment or coating such as anodizing or powder coat it's very durable. 7075 does need anodizing since it's less corrosion resistant than 6061 due to its higher copper content among other things.

If you enjoyed reading about "Titanium Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!