New ALL polymer framed revolvers

PDA

Full Metal Jacket
February 23, 2010, 12:27 AM
this new one from taurus is an all polymer frame revolver, rather than a polymer lower with an alloy upper, like Ruger's LCR. the cylinder, bore insert, and crane are metal parts. :what:

http://www.taurususa.com/2010newcatalog/images/11.jpg

http://www.taurususa.com/2010newcatalog/images/16.jpg

also in judge flavor:

http://www.taurususa.com/2010newcatalog/images/10.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "New ALL polymer framed revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
2RCO
February 23, 2010, 12:39 AM
Interesting but I'm not sure what my opinion is other than that.

tank mechanic
February 23, 2010, 12:40 AM
It is painful to even think of shooting 45 colt ammo out of that judge.

FIVETWOSEVEN
February 23, 2010, 12:59 AM
hopefully gunmetal doesn't become a thing of the past in these future generations.

LawofThirds
February 23, 2010, 01:02 AM
Polymer enclosure sure, but look at the metal imbedded in the frame above the trigger. Methinks that is continued into the hammer area. Wonder what they do to limit flame cutting of the topstrap.

Also, I would be hard pressed to find an uglier pair of grips than those plastic taffy wads on the bottom of the top one. Frankly, the gun looks like it was given an extra helping of ugly every morning.

Wingnut13
February 23, 2010, 01:05 AM
Wow, that's neat! The only thing I'm really not sold on is the "wood colored" polymer grips. If you don't like them don't buy them, then after awhile they won't make them. I might go sign up for one of the .38's..... maybe.

pikid89
February 23, 2010, 01:17 AM
that defender snubbie is the worst design for a ccw firearm i have everseen, like has been said here by me and other, it aint good at all the stuff it does (better put by a fellow THRer, cant remember who...but, jack of all trades, master of none)

http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/bot41.htm

and those faux wood grips make me:barf:

maybe ruger should take a hint though and put at least a bodyguard type hammer on the LCR...i would buy one tomorrow

ilikepancakes
February 23, 2010, 01:26 AM
It is painful to even think of shooting 45 colt ammo out of that judge.
+1. The judge has pretty wicked recoil as it is!

Zoogster
February 23, 2010, 01:50 AM
The new junk handgun!

There goes half of the benefits of a revolver.

Wonder what they do to limit flame cutting of the topstrap.
They better do something or the round count on that thing is going to be very low.
I can see on the defender what appears to be a thin strip of metal underneath. A strip that will certainly wear down much more quickly and get hot (so oxidizing faster) faster than a solid piece of metal.

I imagine the timing on them will go out much faster too. Since the frame will be able to flex and stretch.
Polymer for a frame is not a big deal on an auto as the slide is entirely metal and the slide and barrel lock together.
But for the bulk of a revolver...

.38sp might get away with it a little longer because it is relatively tame, but those defenders look like a nightmare in reliability and round count.

Plastic is cheaper to turn into products though. So I imagine they will start using it wherever the market will allow them. The profit margin on a polymer gun sold for similar to what they sell an all steel gun is significantly greater.

Kind of Blued
February 23, 2010, 02:18 AM
My S&W 642 is lighter, so... what's the point?

kd7nqb
February 23, 2010, 03:40 AM
Call me nuts but I really like it. I have been considering adding a .38spl snubbie to my line up and that Taurus may just fit the bill. Also I like the grips because even though they don't look like wood they look very bright and it almost as an illusion effect.

PTK
February 23, 2010, 03:41 AM
So they're not ENTIRELY polymer, guys. Look at the weight. There's a steel frame inside, guaranteed. :)

youngda9
February 23, 2010, 05:48 AM
18 oz for a polymer 38...the SW airweights are lighter, better looking, and there are holsters galore already for them. Why bother if you're going to make a heavier gun than the industry standard for 38 carry.

Don't like the looks of the gun either. Reali sights though. Anyone know the cost?

messerist
February 23, 2010, 06:05 AM
I would like to handle one. Unique looking package, but you will only pry my steel revolvers from my cold, dead fingers!

griz
February 23, 2010, 07:24 AM
The top strap/barrel shroud looks like you could land a small airplane on it, but I still might buy one if it's as inexpensive as the steel framed one.

dom1104
February 23, 2010, 07:29 AM
so now we are selling polymer coated steel firearms.

Why? for the love of all thats holy... why?

natman
February 23, 2010, 08:29 AM

Because it is a lot cheaper to cast polymer around a rough steel frame than it is to machine, polish and finish steel. The resulting gun is lighter than all steel and won't rust.

Now I'll grant you the resulting gun doesn't have the aesthetic appeal of a Colt Python, but have you priced a Python lately?

rattletrap1970
February 23, 2010, 08:39 AM
I'm sure that top strap has metal molded into it. It doesn't look awful.

gym
February 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
They should have put in a laser like The new Smith, Bodygaurd series. Then I could see the reason to encase it in plastic. This is merly an attempt to cash in on the revival of the revolver market.

PTK
February 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
Honestly, after giving this some overnight thought, I'd be happy to own one of those polymer-shelled Judges.

RidgwayCO
February 23, 2010, 09:07 AM
My NAA mini revolver in .22 WMR weighs 7 oz, and my 638 weighs 14 oz. If they don't suffice, there's nothing this 18 oz five-shot .38 Special will do any better.

PTK
February 23, 2010, 09:16 AM
Any word on MSRP?

CajunBass
February 23, 2010, 09:23 AM
This is merly an attempt to cash in on the revival of the revolver market.

And the problem with that is?

danprkr
February 23, 2010, 11:30 AM
I also think it'd be painful to shoot. Especially with +P loads. I'll carry a couple of extra ounces to keep my wrist in tact thank you very much.

gordy
February 23, 2010, 03:20 PM
If I owned a lcr I would say that it looks better then my ruger.
But I own a S&W 642. So I wont say anything.

hankdatank1362
February 23, 2010, 03:31 PM

That's what I was wondering. Larger than, but not as light as, some of the Ti/Scandium offerings that have been on the market. I don't see the appeal.

The aesthetics are kinda neat, though.

BCRider
February 23, 2010, 05:37 PM
Looks are a personal thing of course but I find the shape to be decently balanced. The fake wood grips are a bit much though. But if you think about it if for some reason you had to reach for it quickly in near dark conditions the grips would be that little bit more noticable than if they were all black.

Some are complaining about the weight. But it seems like being a touch heavier to soak up the kick of the +P isn't that bad a thing. Or for someone that found the lighter Airweight to be a LEEETLE too much "air" and not enough "weight" for even .38Spl that the slight extra mass would be just the ticket.

Honestly, sometimes I think revolver owners are so mired in the old glory days of S&W and Colt that if it isn't one of those or a slavish copy then nothing a company can do has a chance of acceptance. Something like how the Mateba Rhino was recently raked over the coals.

Nick5182
February 23, 2010, 05:46 PM
I don't mind polymer in semi's, but something just seems wrong to me about polymer revolvers.

jcs271
February 23, 2010, 06:14 PM
Ruger poly LCR is 12ozs for a five shot .38,,the Taurus Poly is 18oz for five shot .38

That is a BIG difference!

The Lone Haranguer
February 23, 2010, 06:42 PM
I find it hard to believe that the part of the frame surrounding the cylinder is also polymer. Revolver frames are subject to stretching when fired as well as flame cutting/erosion at the barrel/cylinder gap.

jad0110
February 23, 2010, 08:27 PM

The new polymer Taurus roughly splits the difference between the lighter S&W airweight and heavier all steel J Frames, which come in at 23 oz.

As for the looks, well, I guess what they say about beauty being in the eyes of the beholder is true afterall :p. Some in this thread think it looks great. That's cool. But I think my retinas have been scarred for life! And that Stouffer's mac & cheese I had for lunch tastes much better going down than coming back up. :D

For those of you that are on my side of the fence, here's a pic of a snubbie that I hope soothes those burning eyes ;) ...

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q139/jad0110/Smith%20and%20Wesson%20Model%2015%2038%20Special/047.jpg

jad0110
February 23, 2010, 08:31 PM
BTW, I find the use of the semi-auto "DA/SA" terminology particularly silly.

Is that supposed to make the exude more tacticool-ness? ;)

Gary A
February 24, 2010, 12:20 AM
Looks like something out of Bladerunner...

Full Metal Jacket
February 24, 2010, 12:40 AM
^^^that's what i thought!

Ifishsum
February 24, 2010, 02:29 AM
Thanks Jad, I needed that. I'm actually a Taurus fan, and I have a couple of plastic autos but I just can't seem to get warmed up to the idea of a plastic revolver. Kinda like seeing a naked picture of your sister :eek:

savit260
February 24, 2010, 08:14 AM
Kinda like seeing a naked picture of your sister

I was thinking more along the lines of Bea Arthur.

Jonah71
February 24, 2010, 09:11 AM
Shoot me now. I'm just too old. But please do it with steel....I wanna go out with a little style.

DMZ
February 24, 2010, 09:23 AM
They have my attention. I am looking for a all-weather, outdoor snub for my wife as a berry picking carry piece. I definitely want to handle one, but if the price is less than $350, I'm in. Otherwise it will purchase another LCR.

snooperman
February 24, 2010, 09:40 AM
What else is the purpose? Heck the new Ruger LCR weighs less , and so do many S&W J-frames. Perhaps if they were to make a polymer that is a 5 shot 32 H&R magnum weighing 10-11 ounces then some could see the point of it all .

AcceptableUserName
February 24, 2010, 09:43 AM
pass.

Jonah71
February 24, 2010, 09:49 AM
Didn't mean to come off as a smart a**....I own a few Taurus handguns and I do think they are under rated and have a bad rap. (mostly due to products of the past). Guess I'm just an over the hill "old school" grandpa. Damn, that's hard to admit. This polymer revolver may be a good thing. I just prefer a little weight with any handgun. I was really tempted by the Taurus "slim" 709 (I think) but I didn't wanna forget it was in my pocket and put it through the washer. Gotta watch that when you're ancient. I have a really old but VERY clean .38 spec. Springfield Derringer to prove my point. I may shoot a round or two through one of these polymers if my dealer starts carrying them...just out of curiosity of course.

oneounceload
February 24, 2010, 10:28 AM

It might hold up better in a corrosive environment like a beach/boat scenario and salt water spray....maybe

gym
February 24, 2010, 04:08 PM
So they can melt into your interior if you leave them in the car at the beach?

w_houle
February 24, 2010, 04:19 PM
Doesn't it make you pine for the days when they made guns from metal...
http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/4269/img082t.jpg
:neener:

Brian040
February 24, 2010, 06:36 PM
And I thought that the LCR was ugly.........

These things fell off the ugly tree and hit every branch on the way down.

To each his own though :)

jad0110
February 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
It might hold up better in a corrosive environment like a beach/boat scenario and salt water spray....maybe

It certainly may be marketed that way. The fact that polymer won't rust is marketed has a huge selling point by many manufacturers. In fact, this started with stainless steel guns, and has moved on to polymer. Never mind the fact that even stainless can rust.

In the conditioned minds of many gun buyers today, blued carbon steel guns will instantly rust into a heap of scrap metal if you open the window and dangle them outside for a few seconds on a 75 degree day with 50% humidity. :rolleyes:

MCgunner
February 24, 2010, 10:19 PM
They're 18.2 ounces? My Taurus M85SSUL, an alloy gun and Taurus's own, is but 17 ounces. Methinks that polymer is covering up some metal in there, frankly. Don't know, but i'm not a potential customer, put it that way, not when I can get a Ruger that's 13 ounces. I mean, not that 17 ounces is too much. Heck, I don't even notice it in a pocket all day. I've got that niche covered at any rate, not the plastic revolver niche, but the lightweight snub carry niche.

sidheshooter
February 24, 2010, 10:57 PM
#1) those things make a black rhino look like taylor swift. (not that there is anything wrong with ugly guns; I like Glocks...)

#2) I'm with others on the weight. If you are making a blocky, polymer gun that actually weighs more than a slick little metal one, then I'm missing the point.

Unless that thing has a DA trigger that breaks like glass at 5 pounds with total ignition reliability, the accuracy of a tuned Colt Python and comes in streeting at well under $250, we are looking at the next in a long tradition of discontinued Taurus models for the back pages of thier website.

JMHO, of course.

That said, if it actually *has* the killer trigger, handling, accuracy and streets for dirt cheap, then what the heck: I'm in...

;)

PT1911
February 24, 2010, 11:03 PM
I think they have an appeal... lets see.. still pretty light, never gonna rust, and IMO cool looking to boot... I Like the things... all of em... yes... even the judge.

aHFo3
February 24, 2010, 11:07 PM
I don't think any less of Taurus.

kmrcstintn
February 24, 2010, 11:50 PM
those beasts are FUGLY X 10 and are a step too far to the left!!! they are VERY BLOCKY...I guess we have found the GLOCKS of the revolver genre!!!

OK...I'll be a bit kind...I might buy a .38 spl +p variant as a vehicle gun depending upon price point...I'm considering an EAA Windicator for this role as a 'beater gun' that can still function well

usa59
February 25, 2010, 12:59 AM
How much $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ anybody know

If you enjoyed reading about "New ALL polymer framed revolvers" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!