Ar 15 rear sight adjustment.

PDA

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 05:52 AM
This is on a fixed carry handle Bushmaster. It doesnt have a windage dial like it shows in the manual. Its a round dial on the right side with 5 or 6 holes in it with a pin sticking through. Manual said it should be zeroed. It shoots 5'' to the right at 50yds. And 3''high. We moved the rear sight to the left two holes. Didnt seem to make any difference. Is there a better rear sight i can install? Dont really like the peep hole and would rather not put a scope on it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar 15 rear sight adjustment." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Sport45
February 23, 2010, 08:56 AM
You probably didn't turn it enough. If it is 1/2min per click then each click at 50 yards will only move your group 1/4". I'm not familiar with your sight and don't know how much a "hole" is.

Peep sights are fairly common on military style rifles. I've never seen a buckhorn type sight on an AR but I suppose you could cut off the top half of your peep sight if you were so inclined. I'm really not sure what other options you have. For me, a handle mounted red dot or scope is too high to get a cheek weld.

Zach S
February 23, 2010, 09:27 AM
Sounds like an A1 rear sight. Adjustable for windage only. IIRC its 1 minute per click, for both the front and rear sight. So, (in theroy) 2 clicks at the windage drum should have brought POI one inch closer to POA.

Your only option is to ditch the A1 aperture for based on an A2. You will not regret it (I only use A1 sights, with A2 apertures).

Did you flip the aperture when adjusting the sights? One is for short range, the other for long range, so there is a POI shift.

Destructo6
February 23, 2010, 09:28 AM
Sounds like an A1-style rear sight. They are a little more difficult to turn, since you have to depress the little pin, which also makes them quite a bit more difficult to "accidentally" adjust.

Use a bullet tip, or similar, to depress the pin.

That peep sight is very good. Make sure you put the tip of your nose to the charging handle to ensure the same cheek weld every time.

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 09:38 AM
I did flip the peep. But isnt that only for hi/lo?

I can look at it and see that it should be shooting left of the target instead of to the right. The peep is quite a ways closer to the left of center than it is to the right. As far as it is shooting to the right, it might have to go all the way to the left. hmm

DMK
February 23, 2010, 10:02 AM
Sounds like your front sight is canted to one side. Could probably be fixed by re-seating the barrel and twisting it counter clockwise to take up the slack. Sounds like it needs to go back to Bushmaster.

Zach S
February 23, 2010, 10:20 AM
Sounds like your front sight is canted to one side.
I forgot about that...

BM used to have a bad habit of over-torquing their bbl nuts, which would cant the front sight left, which would cause it to shoot right...

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 10:29 AM
Thanks guys. I'll go check it out and call Bushmaster. This was bought new in Dec 09. Is that when they were doing that?

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 10:40 AM
I called Bushmaster. They said send it back. Good think i have a spare! They laser site them they said. Hopefully it will come back fixed. UPS it?

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 08:57 PM
This is what it takes to make it shoot center. Is it bad enough to send it back or should i just live with it and shoot it?
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/rearsight.jpg
The target. Dont laugh, i dont shoot without a scope except for this.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/orange.jpg

DMK
February 23, 2010, 10:32 PM
Send it back, get it fixed right. Ultimately, that rear sight should be centered.

UPS or USPS are both fine for a rifle. You are sending it back to the manufacturer for repair. No need for a dealer to send it in or to receive it when it's done.

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 10:33 PM
Thanks DMK.

ole farmerbuck
February 23, 2010, 10:35 PM
All i need to send is the upper, right? Or will they want the complete gun?

Sport45
February 24, 2010, 04:45 AM
Upper should be all they need.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ar 15 rear sight adjustment." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!