Spike's Tactical 9mm upper?

PDA

hoodfu
February 23, 2010, 10:05 AM
My search fu is lacking any tangible results here, so I'll just ask. I've got a spare Bushmaster XM-15 lower, and I'd like to mate it to a new Spike's Tactical 9mm upper that I was shown the other day. It's comes with the mag well block and increased weight buffer tube for smoother operation. My 2 questions are thus:

1. Anyone here have this setup? Likes/dislikes etc? I'm having trouble finding reviews of such a setup.

2. Being in an AWB state, I need to use pre-ban magazines. I'm hearing that I can't use regular uzi magazines, they need to be dremeled etc. Are there pre-ban magazines around that are hi-cap and would fit this setup correctly?

Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spike's Tactical 9mm upper?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Zach S
February 23, 2010, 11:12 AM
1) Spike's uppers are based on the colt system, same as CMMG, RRA, Garrison MFG (are they still around)? I have a RRA build that I'm happy with.

2a) UZI mags need to have a slot milled into them for use in an AR lower, otherwise you're looking at pre-ban colt mags and CProducts ten rounders. M60Joe will modify UZI mags for $10/each IIRC, i cant think of anyone else off the top of my head that does it, however I know they're out there...

2b) A VM Hy-Tech (http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=19669/Product/AR_15_M16_9mm_MAG_BLOCK_ADAPTER) mag block will allow the use of un-modified UZI magazines.

Note: BHO does not work with UZI magazines.

hoodfu
February 23, 2010, 12:09 PM
Wonderful, thanks for the Brownell's link. Only downside is that it looks like I'm either spending the money on the mag block, or the high priced pre-ban colt mags. Same either way, although uzi magazines are far easier to find.

hoodfu
February 23, 2010, 12:23 PM
Note: BHO does not work with UZI magazines.

I'm not making out what the BHO means. ? Thanks again.

NG VI
February 23, 2010, 12:27 PM
Bolt Hold Open

Zach S
February 23, 2010, 12:33 PM
Pre-ban colt SMG mags are unobtainium, even before the federal ban died they were going for $120+ if I could find them. After then died I picked up a few LEO mags for about $70 or $80 each.

In a ban state, I think the best option would be the VM block. Otherwise your only realistic options for mags are modified UZIs and CP ten rounders.

If you can get buy on two or three mags, the VM block is a waste, and you'd be better off with two or three UZI mags. I cant do two or three mags, I have at least 20 for most of my guns. Exceptions being rimfire plinkers and my AK (I haven't had it long).

Walkalong
February 23, 2010, 12:55 PM
C-Products mags (http://www.cproductsllc.com/shop/product_info.php?cPath=22_37&products_id=148) work great in my RRA 9MM AR. Same basic mag block as yours has. Uses modified Uzi mags, real Colt mags, or Colt knock offs like the C-Products mags.

hoodfu
February 23, 2010, 02:04 PM
Thanks again for the additional info. With pre-ban uzi mags being $30+, I may end up sticking with the dremel, seeing as I'm getting a regular mag block thrown in with the upper.

dom1104
February 23, 2010, 02:35 PM
Quick Question, I understand the desire for a 22lr upper but whats the attraction to the 9mm?

the ability to use them at pistol only ranges?

In pin / steel challenge shoots?

to have similar ammo to your sidearm?

Oh wait, I just answered my own question. :)

Eightball
February 23, 2010, 02:43 PM
A buddy has the VM tech magwell thing, and it makes his magazine search much, much easier. He has a spike's upper & barrel, but hand-picked the rest of his components; they seem to be working out alright for him, and he's had zero complaints.

As to the "why" question? He has thousands and thousands of rounds of 9mm, and it's his favorite pistol round; this way, when he goes to the range, he can take a long gun and his pistol(s) of choice, and not have to worry about "well, I only have 200 rounds for this one, and 57 rounds for this one, and....."

Zach S
February 23, 2010, 02:53 PM
Since it recoils similar to a .223, 9mm also gives more realistic practice than .22lr.

hoodfu
February 23, 2010, 03:46 PM
Yeah, pistol caliber carbine matches, some of the cheapest non .22lr ammo available, fits in with the 9mm handguns I hope to eventually have (waiting on permit) etc. Although a non-issue for ~45 other states, the availability of pre-ban hi-cap mags tends to govern gun choice around here. Fill up a surplus ammo can with hundreds of rounds and go to town.

dom1104
February 23, 2010, 04:01 PM
sounds like fun to me. :)

hoodfu
February 25, 2010, 08:42 PM
Well, I got the Spike's Tactical upper going, which works wonderfully with the colt style mag it came with. I got an assortment of uzi mags as well for when the vm hy-tech block came in. I received it today, and it worked perfectly with the old beat-up grey 25 round uzi mag I got, but the other 32 round much blacker and in better shape uzi mags won't even fit in it. They're too tight. So, I'm in the same boat. If I use the spike's block, one mag; if I use the hy-tech block, 1 working mag. :) I'm thinking I'm going to have to employ my friend's dremel at this rate.

If you enjoyed reading about "Spike's Tactical 9mm upper?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!