Case for takedown?

PDA

ArmedBear
February 23, 2010, 04:41 PM
Anyone with a takedown rifle (Marlin 39, various Winchesters, BLR, SA22, etc.)

Do you ever carry it broken down?

What case do you use for yours?

If you enjoyed reading about "Case for takedown?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
waterhouse
February 23, 2010, 05:29 PM
I've got a marlin papoose, but it came with a case.

My browning sa22 has an aluminum case I got off craigslist, it looks very much like the cases that nice poker chips come in but is a few inches longer than my poker chip case, which wasn't long enough. It looks like this:
http://www.bbopokertables.com/pokertables/images/CSE500.jpg

I've never traveled with my 39 taken apart.

Although not designed to be a take down model, my buckmark rifle's barrel is pretty easy to remove, and I did it once to put it in a hard suitcase for flying, but I don't have a special case for it. It normally travels with the barrel attached.

ArmedBear
February 23, 2010, 06:14 PM
Thanks. This looks really neat, but it's almost as expensive as the rifle I was going to put in it...

http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,3551.html

http://www.buffaloarms.com/prodimg/TLC.jpg

Dr. Tad Hussein Winslow
February 23, 2010, 07:38 PM
I do not have a special case (yet) for the IMI Timberwolf .357.

I do have a soft-sided short case for the Marlin 39 (factory case), but I don't take it anywhere much at all, since it's a TDS in excellent condition.

AB, that thing is cool!

dmazur
February 23, 2010, 08:12 PM
I have a Browning SA22 and a Winchester 1895.

I just use the take-down feature when cleaning, so I can clean from the breach.

So far I haven't used the short length to advantage when traveling, and I have full-length cases for them.

ArmedBear
February 23, 2010, 09:31 PM
I figure that 1895 deserves a leather case like the one above, though, doesn't it?:)

dmazur
February 23, 2010, 09:53 PM
Yes, I saw that case. I figured it would be just the thing for a horse camp... :)

Farnham
February 23, 2010, 10:03 PM
Does this count? :D

http://i268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/makarov13/guns/th_SPR_Case.jpg (http://s268.photobucket.com/albums/jj34/makarov13/guns/?action=view&current=SPR_Case.jpg)

I'd think a mid-size Pelican or Storm case (though pricey) might be nice to try out. A little extra room for a couple boxes of ammo, binoculars, spotting scope...

tango2echo
February 23, 2010, 10:08 PM
I've got a Browning BLR takedown, but its a safe queen. I have several Pappose .22lrs that do get used and are carried broken down. I use a shotgun O/U case for the BLR.

T2e

B24
March 3, 2010, 11:47 PM
Okay... slightly different question but since I may have the ear of some takedown owners; here's what I want to know: If anyone has shot the Browning BLR takedown rifle after takedown/reassemble several times, how does it hold zero? I have read that it's quite good, but that was found in a magazine and I'm not sure if they have a bias (i.e., please their sponsors). In case it matters (probably), If I buy one of these I'd want to mount the scope on the rear section vice the barrel (in "scout" style). I love levers and takedown, so if I get reports that the zero remains solid this will become a serious purchase contender for me.

tango2echo
March 4, 2010, 08:05 AM
My BLR takedown holds zero very well after repeated breakdowns. I would say that zero doesn't even change noticably.

t2e

dakotasin
March 4, 2010, 01:03 PM
i have a savage 99 takedown. i do not have a special case for it, and after i got the taking-down component out of my system, i no longer take it apart. it did hold zero well, though, when i used to take it apart.

Kwanger
March 4, 2010, 02:14 PM
I'm in the market for a case myself, and I keep coming across these take down cases. While I like the idea of them being compact....can someone tell me - is there really any other advantage or point over a full size case?

I fear if I buy a take down, after the novelty wears off, I'll be annoyed I did - it's not like a regular case won't fit in my car.

B24
March 5, 2010, 02:19 AM
Thanks Tango2Echo

Did/do you use a scope or iron sights? If scope... is it mounted on the barrel or on the "rear" (action) section?

tango2echo
March 5, 2010, 04:44 PM
B24, my BLR has a Leupold VX3 2.5x8x36 mounted on the barrel with the Browning factory "scout" mount in Leupold rings. It's a .358 Winchester Magnum. I don't think Leupold makes that scope in extended eye relief anymore, but it is perfect for that rifle.

Honestly, for around $850, the takedown BLR is a bargin. You can put top quaility glass on it, buy a few extra mags, and be out the door for $1200-1400.

Browning makes a fitted leather guncase for the BLR, but it cost $600!!! I bought a O/U guncase from a friend that never used it for $50. With the "scout" style mount and the compact scope it fits perfectly.

I am thinking about a fall hunt in BC or the Yukon for 2012, and if I go the BLR will probably be the primary rifle on that hunt.

t2e

ArmedBear
March 5, 2010, 04:46 PM
is there really any other advantage or point over a full size case?

Watch Joe Kidd, and tell me you don't want a leather takedown case.:D

If you enjoyed reading about "Case for takedown?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!