Super Blackhawk B-C Gap Questions

PDA

Maj Dad
February 23, 2010, 08:44 PM
I bought a 7 1/2" SBH 44 in Korea in '75 (carried it on the DMZ & around; I was Intel spook, got away with a lot), and had some issues with it binding with factory ammo. When I got to Benning in '76, I took it to Accuracy Gunshop in Columbus, and the smith faced off a bit of the rear of the bbl/forcing cone, and the front of the cylinder where the cylinder pin enters the frame. That took care of the binding, but unbeknownst to me at the time opened the b-c gap to around .009. Later on I got so aggravated by the cylinder slop I put a shim in front of it to keep it from sliding to an fro so much (o.k., it's not that much, but you know what I mean), but that keeps the gap wide. I am tempted to send it back to Ruger to get the barrel set back, or cylinder replaced, or whatever, but thought I'd ask for any suggestions. I am sure cylinders can be had & installed by non-factory smiths, who can also set it back a thread, but AGAIN: my mind goes off on all these tangents and I need some redirection at times. The pistol shoots great, is very accurate, but spits fire & lead more than I would prefer. It has been rode hard and put up wet and is no safe queen, but is still in good shape overall. It's an old friend and I want to treat it right - thoughts?

If you enjoyed reading about "Super Blackhawk B-C Gap Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
nicholst55
February 24, 2010, 08:24 AM
Send it to a good gunsmith like David Clements or Alan Harton and have them set the barrel back. Have them eliminate any cylinder endshake while they're at it. It doesn't sound like your first gunsmith did you any favors at all!

Confederate
February 24, 2010, 02:58 PM
The gunsmith only needed to file a very small amount off the end of the barrel to negate the binding. Even with a gap of .009, you're still within factory specs, but you shouldn't have any cylinder play. Was this play caused by the gunsmith or just normal wear?

If you've put a lot of full throttle ammo through it and can stop the end shake, you should be okay. If you're still getting a lot of spitting, your gun may be a bit out of time.

If your gun needs work, Ruger is still your best bet. Accuracy Gunshop shouldn't have opened the gap to .009 if all you were experiencing was occasional binding. Still, you've gotten years of use from it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Super Blackhawk B-C Gap Questions" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!