New to 1911's, Mag Question?

PDA

Deadheadted37
February 23, 2010, 09:49 PM
I just bought a Springfield 1911 GI 45, can I use anybodies mags or do I have to stick with Springfield's?

Thanks

If you enjoyed reading about "New to 1911's, Mag Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
highorder
February 23, 2010, 09:51 PM
Reliability will vary, but you can use almost any magazine available.

I use Wilson's, Novaks, and Colts.

Oro
February 23, 2010, 10:06 PM
Just stick with high quality magazines. SA's magazines are decent. I think SA also offers to a good deal on them when purchased directly. Colt magazines should also work beautifully in your gun for good value (check their website).

Do not be tempted by "USGI in the wrapper" and other BS ads.

gwnorth
February 23, 2010, 10:10 PM
I don't own a SA pistol, but looking at their magazines, I'd think check-mate mags should be good (they are an OEM maker of Colt mags). They have the same type of hybrid follower, are made in the USA and can be had for less then $20/apiece (check www.topgunsupply.com).

Fremmer
February 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
If your new Springer runs reliably with Springer mags, then buy more Springer mags. Don't try and fix something that isn't broken. JMHO.

tangomike706
February 24, 2010, 03:35 AM
My Springer works fine with any mag I've fed it .. including Kimpro 8 round mags and Wilsons

ms6852
February 24, 2010, 03:53 AM
If you purchased the gun brand new, check the pistol case for an orange discount coupon cards and you can order up to 10 new magazines for a ridiculously low price, maybe just under $100.

sara bellum
April 17, 2010, 10:34 PM
Please fill me on the GI mags in the wrapper.

qwert65
April 17, 2010, 10:43 PM
I have a SA GI I use the 7 rd that came with the gun. A shooting star 8rd, 2 Wilson 8rd and a Wilson 10rd all work flawlessly

Kingofthehill
April 17, 2010, 10:45 PM
Wilson 47's...

Your welcome :) hahaha...

Seriously though, great mags. When i buy new 1911's mags, the 47's have served me very well.

JOe

Jolly Rogers
April 17, 2010, 10:53 PM
They are most likely imitation mags. Lots of fakes out there. I haven't heard of any real "spec" mags still available in paper wraps.
Joe

Quoheleth
April 17, 2010, 11:00 PM
Watch Midway for genuine Springer mags. They regularly go on sale below Springfield's price. I was on the phone with their tech folks one afternoon and asked if Midway was selling knock-offs. She said no; Midway bought directly from them - why? I told her the price and she was stunned.

Q

bobelk99
April 17, 2010, 11:17 PM
Like Oro said.

I personally use only Wilson 47 series. Works for me.

Oro
April 18, 2010, 12:44 AM
Please fill me on the GI mags in the wrapper.

Forgers have been faking "GI" mags for a few years now. They completely stamp the government part number as well as Checkmate Industries (a maker of good magazines) coded manufacturer ID. They are both sold individually and in some cheap brown pseudo-kraft paper. You can find them on Gunbroker, at gunshows, and in many on-line forums classifieds.

You can compare the sturdy real ones to the thinner steel and stampings of the fakes to help weed them out. But use common sense - if it's new in the wrapper and 20 years old, and available in pretty unlimited supply from unlicensed vendors at 1/2 the cost of new, you might want to wonder if the deals legit.

I have some real GI ones from the 80s and next time I have the photo gear out I'll try to snap some photos of them for comparison. Also, there's a sticky at the top of the Autoloader section from 1911Tuner with some other common fake magazines and ID tips.

Al LaVodka
April 18, 2010, 03:08 PM
I like the idea of sticking to the manufacturers mags but any quality ones should work.

For my Colt Combat Target? Chip McCormick Shooting Star 8-rnd. They are Colt's "factory" magazine manufacturer and the tolerances are twice as tight as governement specs at a fair price I think!

Al

possum
April 18, 2010, 05:40 PM
i have had no issues what so ever with sa 7 rd factory magazines, i had a total of 6 of them, i gave em to a friend because i was running a magfunnel and i couldn't really use them anymore, and he has had zero issue with them either. the 10rd sa mags is a different story they would not work in my sa 1911, but they work great in my buddies taurus pt1911.

as a genaral rule i get chip mc cormick magazines, and i have never had an issue with them in any 1911.

The Lone Haranguer
April 18, 2010, 08:22 PM
There are so many makers of 1911s and magazines (there are at least half a dozen design variations in just mags) that sometimes one mag that may work well in a given gun, may not in another. If the supplied magazine(s) do work, I would get some more just like them.

hanno
April 18, 2010, 09:42 PM
I've owned and tried many makes over the years. The ones that are always in my range bag because they have never failed me are the Wilsons (47 and ETM ), the CMCs, and Mec-Gars.

Mooseman
April 19, 2010, 12:06 AM
I bought a couple of the wilsons 47d and a cmc shooting star. all function as they should.

If you enjoyed reading about "New to 1911's, Mag Question?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!