American Made RPG-7

PDA

NOLAEMT
February 23, 2010, 11:55 PM
now I'll start off by saying that I obviously don't have any intention of trying to purchase an RPG. I wouldn't have a use for one, I don't know if its legal and I'm sure I can't afford it if it is (200 dollars per grenade just in ATF taxes :what:).

But according to this Wikipedia Article, an American company is now producing these weapons. Airtronic USA. Has anyone heard of this company? Are they being used by our troops (I doubt it). Are they for export? Am I going to start seeing these next to me at the local range? They would probably be hell on the 100 meter steel gongs.

The Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-7

If you enjoyed reading about "American Made RPG-7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Birdmang
February 24, 2010, 12:00 AM
I live right next to Elk Grove. Weird.

Im gonna go buy one at their retail front.

ClickClickD'oh
February 24, 2010, 12:02 AM
For some reason I think something might be messed up there. When I clicked over to the airtronics page there was this:

Airtonic USA RPG-7
Features

* Mil-Std-1913 Quad Rail System for mounting combat opics (optical sights), flip-up BUIS (Back Up Iron Sights), aiming lasers/illuminators, tactical white lights, and vertical foregips
* Flip-Up BUIS
* AR-15 Carbine-type Vertical Foregrip
* AR-15/M16 Pistol Grip
* M4/M4A1 Carbine Collapsible/Telescoping Buttstock

Doesn't sound very RPGish to me.

NOLAEMT
February 24, 2010, 12:08 AM
from the article:
"Airtronic USA has developed a series of lethal and less lethal ammunition including a long range chemical dispersion round that can dispense 2 liters of OC/CS for civilian crowd control."

It sounds like they have also developed less lethal rounds, but I can't imagine US police using an RPG for crowd control, the media would have a field day.

NOLAEMT
February 24, 2010, 12:11 AM
here is a link to the airtronic website.

it looks like an RPG is giving birth to an AR

http://airtronic.net/datasheets/airtronicrpg7.pdf

ClickClickD'oh
February 24, 2010, 12:12 AM
Oh good god... it's real...

Big picture of horrible contraption attached. Click here to hurt yourself laughing. (http://www.defensereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/airtronic_rpg_7_usa_21.jpg)

NOLAEMT
February 24, 2010, 01:19 AM
QUICK... Someone go warn Sarah Brady:eek:

it has a pistol grip, a vertical fore grip, eight (8:what:) rails to attach evil accessories, and that shoulder thing that goes up, (or two, depending on your personal definition) and some kind of obviously evil sight that probably seeks out the closest elementary school.:neener:

I wonder if it will be offered for sale in california?:D

Ragnar Danneskjold
February 24, 2010, 05:11 AM
Why?

Walkalong
February 24, 2010, 07:21 AM
Looks fun, but Alabama won't even let me have an SBR yet, so I don't think they'll be up for those either. :rolleyes:

ultradoc
February 24, 2010, 07:34 AM
I would love to shoot one of these

Sam1911
February 24, 2010, 07:57 AM
The rails are pretty convinient, I'd bet. You can mount a white light for identifying targets while clearing your house.

Of course, once you fire your house will be REALLY cleared! :D

[Beavis&Butthead]Heh heh...we're going to have to charge you extra...we cleared your WHOLE house! Heh hehhh.[/Beavis&Butthead]

-Sam

Mandolin
February 24, 2010, 10:52 AM
Adding rails and electronics does not make it modern, it makes it stupid. Russian weapons should be wood and have iron sights, US stuff needs plastic, rails and electronics. BTW, are SAMs (surface-to air missiles) legal? I'm curious. (I've wondered ever since I read Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler)

Prince Yamato
February 24, 2010, 11:40 AM
It sounds like they have also developed less lethal rounds, but I can't imagine US police using an RPG for crowd control, the media would have a field day.

If I ever found out about a police force that used those, I think I'd incite a riot just to see them bring them out for crowd control.

Jokes aside though, I think the M4 buttstock is removable. You could probably just put rubber rail covers on the rail that it's attached to and voila, you have a modernized RPG-7.

Mandolin
February 24, 2010, 11:55 AM
Less-lethal rounds from an RPG? I can't see how sticking a tear gas round on the tip of a model rocket(esentialy what they are doing) is less-lethal. Aside from shooting a rocket at a roit, what about the backblast? This would make the acustic things that drive you nuts with sound look alike good idea.

Z-Michigan
February 24, 2010, 01:46 PM
Oh good god... it's real...

Big picture of horrible contraption attached. Click here to hurt yourself laughing.

Best, most accurate, and funniest post I've read this week.

It's just like the tacticool gun, only less practical - and (apparently) real.

cleardiddion
February 24, 2010, 02:45 PM
http://www.defensereview.com/airtronic-usa-rpg-7-amerikansky-rocket-propelled-grenade-launcher/

It's ghastly.

Adding rails and electronics does not make it modern, it makes it stupid. Russian weapons should be wood and have iron sights, US stuff needs plastic, rails and electronics. BTW, are SAMs (surface-to air missiles) legal? I'm curious. (I've wondered ever since I read Welcome Back Mr. Nightcrawler)

Btw, an RPG 7 isn't really a SAM. It's a man portable light anti-tank/armor weapon. Though, admitedly it works pretty well if you can hit aircraft with it.
I don't know for sure but I would think they are legal; I mean, people can buy HE 40mm grenades and all that by going through the proper channels right?

nalioth
February 24, 2010, 04:01 PM
. . . more proof that NOTHING is safe from the Tapco T6 butt stock :D

LemmyCaution
February 24, 2010, 05:02 PM
Ow! Ow! Ow! Can I please un-see it?

Dravur
February 24, 2010, 05:09 PM
Support your inner Mall Ninja!

This thing is a must have for the Tactical Wheelbarrow... That and the side of Tactical Bacon.

I want an RPG..... just for a few minutes.... You don't need to know why...

These aren't the droids you are looking for....

straitnate14
February 24, 2010, 09:59 PM
What? No bayonet lug?

Cap'n Jack Burntbeard
February 24, 2010, 11:09 PM
Oh good lord.

armoredman
February 24, 2010, 11:32 PM
Egad. Words fail.

NOLAEMT
February 25, 2010, 12:19 AM
Ow! Ow! Ow! Can I please un-see it?

I'm afraid not

spartywrx
February 25, 2010, 01:08 PM
I totally want it. If only because it is so freaking ugly and goofy

Sam1911
February 25, 2010, 01:11 PM
If ever there was a weapon deserving of the rail-mounted tactical drink-holder...

-Sam

NG VI
February 25, 2010, 02:34 PM
Why?

This thread haz gotten teh good laughz out of me.

I need them today.

Thanks guys.

Why?

desidog
February 25, 2010, 03:00 PM
In my experience an RPG has two triggers/two pistol grips.

That thing is just laughable.

What is the legality of making a bazooka out of PVC and firing model-rockets out of it?

JHansenAK47
February 25, 2010, 03:12 PM
I wonder if they are angling for an Afghan government aide contract. Maybe some special forces use too.

USAFRetired
February 25, 2010, 03:15 PM
In the "old days" we use to have bottle rocket wars. Built our launchers out of 1/2" PVC. with a Bic lighter taped to the "grip". (Back before you had to worry about the other kid's parents trying to sue your folks) :(

DoubleTapDrew
February 25, 2010, 04:03 PM
It even has the shoulder thing that goes up!

Cromlech
February 27, 2010, 11:06 AM
Now all it needs is an under-slung M16. With an M203. Plus a Keymaster Shotty. :D

jojo200517
February 27, 2010, 10:13 PM
Seriously? where the hell do mount my bayonet? The only thing its missing is a way to be fed from a high capacity magazine.

That thing made me laugh.

There's something missing tho, needs a bipod. :)

Acera
February 28, 2010, 02:27 PM
Save your money. Spend it on a vacation to South East Asia, and rent one. Fire it a few times to get the craving out of your system. Then come home with a good tan, relaxed, and some great stories for you buddies.

Steve Lee did:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TC2xTCb_GU

Here is an insight into the vacation with his buddies,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BtVaX_RNvos

If you enjoyed reading about "American Made RPG-7" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!