Ruger 10/22 for HD?

PDA

shephard19
February 24, 2010, 02:11 AM
I know many people here will laugh at the idea, and I know
it isn't ideal for the task, but would it work reasonably well?
It does have some advantages, zero recoil, the sound doesn't disorient you...
I know that works both ways, fast follow up shots and you don't have to worry much about overpenetration, also its very easy to shoot accurately for most people. Does anyone know how far .22 will penetrate into human flesh?
Also does anyone know where to but aftermarket bannana magazines for the Ruger? I know they exist I've seen one in person.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 for HD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
February 24, 2010, 02:14 AM
If it were all I had, and that's a huge if, I would be most likely to use Aguila 60 grain SSS in it to get the penetration needed. Maybe the CCI Stinger or Quick-Shok if the Aguila wasn't working out, or the Aguila full-speed 40 grain solid.

azyogi
February 24, 2010, 02:26 AM
+1 on the 60 gr. SSS they hit hard, have used them on large black tail Hare [rabbit]

Kevin77
February 24, 2010, 02:30 AM
It would work perfectly if some crack head squirrels were breaking in.

tkopp
February 24, 2010, 02:40 AM
There are plenty of good reasons to have a .22 handy, but self defense really isn't one of them. It might work by scaring an intruder off, just like a big but friendly dog barking at an unfamiliar person.

It suffers the same problem as any other firearm -- shoot someone in a nonvital spot and it will hurt but not incapacitate them.

It suffers a unique problem in that limited penetration and displacement can cause a near miss of a vital where a more potent caliber would cause a disabling hit. Worse, the low power of the round means that a vital hit might hurt an awful lot but fail to incapacitate for a good while. This is true of all calibers, but moreso with marginal ones like the .22lr.

So sure, it can be used in home defense. But the inexpense of so many other, more capable firearms (like a 12ga or a high point pistol or carbine for $200) is really what makes these threads a little silly. I love my ruger 10/22 and have poured more money into it than I care to think about, but I spent just a little more and got another (well, several more) capable weapons for home defense.

ms6852
February 24, 2010, 03:31 AM
If that is all you have than use it. Anything can be used for home defense, Pots, pans, rolling pins, golf clubs. (Just ask Tiger Woods).

THE PROBLEM WITH 22LR FOR HOME DEFENSE IS RELIABILITY!!! Most shooters know that 22lr bullets are not reliable and will always at some point get a bad round and not fire even if the firing pin has made firm contact with the rim. Question should be do you want to rely on this caliber knowing that sometimes it fires and sometimes it does not?

JEB
February 24, 2010, 03:40 AM
/\ /\ /\ BIG +1 there! 80% of the problem for me is reliability. it MUST go bang EVERY TIME!

wgaynor
February 24, 2010, 05:18 AM
In the right hands, with the right ammo, with the right circumstances, yes...it will work. It is not ideal though.

I've heard many arguments for the .22lr as a defense tool and against it. My wife chose it as her tool and I have the utmost confidence in her abilities with it. On the other hand, I prefer something with a bit more stopping power. Either way, at least it's a gun.

outerlimit
February 24, 2010, 05:32 AM
You could squeeze off 25-30 rounds very quickly. And the shots would probably be more accurate than with a pistol. Sure, why not?

jn1965
February 24, 2010, 05:44 AM
To tell you the truth I thought about this a lot. I stopped carrying my TTC into hotel rooms with me and now 'sneak' in my 10/22 carbine. Although the TTC has much more stopping power it is also going to go through the walls of my hotel room and down the hallway stopping only when it hits somebody. I know the .22 will also penetrate a wall but it is pretty spent by the time it comes out the other side.

I do not have a shottie small enough to take into places where I don't want it to be a neon sign saying HE HAS A SHOTGUN

I throw the Ruger into a small duffel bag and nobody knows it is there but me.
I like the fact that the 10/22 is accurate (esp at HD distances) and I can put round after round into a small target area

It is a trade off but like it was said before any gun is better than no gun...

Marlin 45 carbine
February 24, 2010, 10:48 AM
a hi-vel .22LR into the snot locker, pie-hole or headlight is gonna drop a bg right there. give 'em 3-4 anywhere else, right fast like.

Izzy77
February 24, 2010, 10:51 AM
2 rounds of some hi-shock type .22 is better than a .25 auto.

Also you wont have too much ear damage from a 22.

not ideal, but still acceptable IMHO.

wombat13
February 24, 2010, 11:02 AM
A year or two ago, Rochester Police Officer Anthony DiPonzio was shot in the back of the head by a 14yo punk using a rifle in .22lr. It was not a point blank shot as it took the cops days to identify the shooter (and there were at least two other cops on scene with DiPonzio at the time of the shooting). DiPonzio only survived because the other cops rushed him to the hospital. He will never work again.

22lr out of a carbine will get the job done. Shot placement is critical, as always.

Al Thompson
February 24, 2010, 11:28 AM
Any gun is better than no gun. If that's what I had, I'd do a couple of things. One, load only with high quality ammo, regardless of bullet weight or construction. CCI Match loads have never misfired for me, nor has CCI products in general. Test a brick or two and see what your rifle likes. Two, work on your malfunction drills. Tap, tug, rack and roll will work on almost any semi-auto. Just have to improvise, adapt and overcome.

By the way, Brassfetcher has some good info on performance. 22LR (non HP) penetrates quite a bit more than some folks think.

http://www.brassfetcher.com/var22lrrifle.html

husker
February 24, 2010, 11:34 AM
if it dont jam :-). not the first 22 i would grab that i own to kill with. BUT it is better than nothing. & it will get the job done

Oic0
February 24, 2010, 11:47 AM
As far as .22 for home defense, in something like: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFuuU21cCyc yes please. I would pick that over most other weapons! Think of it as time release buckshot lol.

A 10/22 with a big clip full of GOOD ammo could be pretty deadly too. More so at across the house range where you can unload on the person before they get to you.

tango2echo
February 24, 2010, 12:03 PM
It would be my first choice if they ever stop making baseball bats.

t2e

dom1104
February 24, 2010, 12:27 PM
I would suggest the CCI Velocitor.

CCI in general has the best primer reliability I have seen.

And then quickly save up for a shotgun and do it right.

150 bucks goes a long way in the cheap shotgun realm.

Oh and stick with the 10 round rotary factory magazine, the likelyhood of a extended mag jamming is far higher than the likelyhood of needing the other 15 rounds.

Nothing is as reliable as the factory rotary. the Tactical Innovations mags are the closest but still can be manipulated into jamming.

kenno
February 24, 2010, 12:32 PM
I know of several situations where a 22LR pistol has dropped a BG and 22LR rifles droped large animals

natman
February 24, 2010, 12:40 PM
It's possible that a 22 rifle could work. Talk about shot placement being critical is true, but overlooks the realities of a self defense scenario. It's not hunting. You're not going to get a chance to draw a fine bead and squeeze off a shot with surgical precision.

So to deliberately plan on using a 22 for defense rather than any one of the vastly superior alternatives is foolish. Self defense is a serious business. Be serious about it.

Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 12:42 PM
The best .22LR (Aguila Super-Maximum hyper-velocity HP) from a rifle is roughly equivalent to the .380ACP. There is no reason that it won't suffice for HD, but if you have something better I would use it.

:)

Shawn Dodson
February 24, 2010, 12:47 PM
I suggest CCI Velocitor with a 10/22.

Test data for Aguila 60gr Sniper SubSonic: http://www.firearmstactical.com/tacticalbriefs/volume3/number2/article3.htm

Test data for Aguila Super Maximum High Velocity: http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/22lr/agu22-30smhv-r2245.htm

CCI Stinger: http://www.firearmstactical.com/test_data/22lr/cci22-32stgr-r2245.htm

wombat13
February 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
A previous poster mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating. Everyone agrees that shot placement is critical for any caliber and it is going to be much easier to hit the intended spot with a carbine than with a handgun. Nice long sight radius, shoulder stock, and extra weight to handle recoil. I would think the 10/22 would be better than most handguns for most people (unless you practice enough to put 10 rounds of .45/9mm into a moving target in a few seconds).

armchairQB
February 24, 2010, 01:03 PM
Id say you want the fastest moving solid projectile you can get. Maybe a velocitor or at least a Mini mag solid.

CZguy
February 24, 2010, 01:08 PM
I would look around for a used S&W or Mossberg 3000 they can be found pretty cheap usually. They were a Japanese copy of the Remington 870 built by Howa. They are high quality and work just as well as the Remington, but the parts are not interchangeable.

S&W 3000 above a Remington 870.

http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii299/badgerone/Shotguns.jpg

tc54
February 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
i used to play golf with a doc that worked the emergency room for 15-20 years. he told me numerous time that a .22 bullet has killed more folks than any other pistol round. i wouldn't hesitate to use a loaded ruger 10/22 as a home defense weapon. sure, other rifles, pistols, shotguns would work, but so will that ruger.

X-Rap
February 24, 2010, 01:12 PM
I think a 10/22 belongs in every house in America along with a couple bricks of reliable ammo.
As far as home defense, if it is reliable using the real hi vel hollowpoint ammo at home defense distances the little rifle will probably group better for most folks than a handgun given the same amount of training and practice. There are ample small 22 handguns that are used daily for self defense and the 22 is well known as a poachers choice.
There are some things that I would do to the 10/22 to enhance it like the mag release, bolt handle, and sights. I put a Choate folder on one of mine and it makes a nice compact package but the big birch stock would make a nice feature if one had to get down but stroking someone.
I would be cautious about the hi-cap mags as I have never seen one that was close to 100% reliable all the time but there is a product that attaches 4 stock mags together that I would like to try.

CZguy
February 24, 2010, 01:18 PM
big birch stock

Big :confused:

X-Rap
February 24, 2010, 01:20 PM
Bigger than the Choate, maybe I should have said solid??

shadowalker
February 24, 2010, 01:36 PM
As others have said it can work, the likelihood of it working is not as high as more capable calibers.

Plan on needing multiple hits and some time, the problem in a self defense situation is you can't be guaranteed of having time or getting multiple hits.

bad_aim_billy
February 24, 2010, 07:52 PM
Try this: fill a 2-liter or milk jug with water. Grab the .22 and stand at self-defense distance (10-20 feet is probably good.) From the hip, empty the mag as quickly as possible into the milk jug. Then see how many hits you've gotten in a few seconds. I think many peoples' opinion of an autoloading .22 rifle for self-defense would change if they could experience this for themselves...

801sureshot
February 24, 2010, 08:25 PM
If this guy killed a bear with a ruger mkII, I think an intruder would be at the very least not happy meeting a .22lr round in the dark. Yes my personal hd set up is not that, but if thats what ya got, use it.
http://www.sltrib.com/ci_12845830?IADID=Search-www.sltrib.com-www.sltrib.com

Storz
February 24, 2010, 08:26 PM
I've always thought a high cap .22lr would be a good home defense weapon, and from everything I've read it seems to be preached over and over that shoot what you're most comfortable with, and I tend to agree.

mokin
February 24, 2010, 08:36 PM
Practice with it, a lot. Fortunately, you can buy 500 rounds of ammo for the same price you can get 100 9mm rounds.

Big Bill
February 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
With a 30 round mag, you could sure shoot the crap out of any intruder that came around. But, he may still keep comming. I wouldn't but he might.

Al LaVodka
February 24, 2010, 08:52 PM
I know of several situations where a 22LR pistol has dropped a BG and 22LR rifles droped large animals
Where, "Poachers-R-Us"!?

A .22 is better than nothing. Just don't bet it all or be stingy on using the ammo.

Al

shockwave
February 24, 2010, 09:04 PM
I'm not quite sure I get the thinking here. If you were breaking into a hotel room, and the occupant had a Ruger 10/22, and was firing a stream of these (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFgVj-ru1JA) into your face, I don't think you'd be laughing about it.

Of course, I'm in the school that wants a .38 spl/.357 mag for this kind of thing, but the .22lr would probably be enough to send most people heading in another direction. And if not, by the time you have engagement, the bullets should have softened the target up a bit for your krav maga work.

Al Thompson
February 24, 2010, 09:10 PM
Al, yeah, I've seen the same - think "large" as maybe 150 lbs., not "large" as cows. :D

As we've all noted, not optimum, but beats going hand-to-hand.

801sureshot
February 24, 2010, 09:33 PM
At wallyworld today I spent $27 on 100 rounds of wwb 9mm, the shelves were stocked with 5 or 6 different brands of .22lr in 375-550 round boxes for $12-$17. So yeah way easier to practice with....I'm still using 9mm

Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 10:20 PM
Al, yeah, I've seen the same - think "large" as maybe 150 lbs., not "large" as cows.Funny you mention that, I own a .22LR that was formerly owned and used by my grandmother to kill a rogue bull. The neighbor's bull kept getting in the garden, and the neighbor wouldn't do anything about it...but Grandmother did. One shot to the nether region, said bull was found dead the next morning in the creek on the outskirts of the property (several hundred yards away). Until the day she died, my grandmother swore that she aimed to miss the bull, and I believe that she didn't mean to kill it...but you can't miss that good. ;)

I don't choose the .22LR, but if I was that good of a shot perhaps I should. Shot placement is always paramount, HD situations are not conducive to precise shot placement.

mljdeckard
February 24, 2010, 10:35 PM
Use what you have. But if that's all that you have, GET SOMETHING ELSE.

If you think that dumping a full mag into a bad guy is good enough, now imagine dumping a full magazine of 5.56 or six shots of 00 buck into a guy. NOT THE SAME THING.

As for the guy who 'knows a doctor who says that .22s are very lethal', I'm less interested in what an ER doc thinks than I am what THE CORONER thinks.

It's not just that it's a .22, it's a .22 RIFLE. At least guys who use .22 pistols can say they want it to be compact. If I have a long arm, I should also have the benefit of overwhelming stopping power. If I don't, why carry a long arm at all?

For the price of a 10/22, you can buy a large variety of used defensive shotguns. Be real. Get a real gun.

19-3Ben
February 24, 2010, 10:38 PM
I've actually been planning on a 10/22 as an HD gun for my wife. I've got the 870 on my side of the bed (along with whichever handgun is playing HD duty), but if I am taken out of the equation, my wife is left alone. She's not really comfortable with a shotgun, nor one of the handguns. So I asked her about a semi-auto .22lr. She was fine with the idea of the .22 and since it's better than the alternative, I'm gonna get her trained up with a .22.
I was even thinking that the Marlin model 60 would give 14 VERY quick rounds with minimal noise, recoil, blast, etc...
That's enough to ruin anyone's day.

mljdeckard
February 24, 2010, 10:46 PM
My wife's primary is an M-1 carbine. Same size and function, easy for her to shoot, MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE.

ms6852
February 24, 2010, 10:49 PM
The 22lr is a very lethal round and can be very deadly. I shoot 22lr two times a week minimum and I know that it can be devastating in the right hands. I shoot at 200 yds often with the 22lr and their are times when I am testing new scopes or rifles that I miss the target at that distance and hit the wooden frame instead. It is a 1 x 4 pine frame and every time I hit it at 200 yds, regardless of ammo used, it always penetrates the wood through and through. Anthing is better than nothing, and a 22lr is a very lethal caliber especially in very well trained and expert hands. Nonetheless the question remains, is it reliable? My wife has a 9-shot revolver in 22lr much against my wishes but that is what she is comfortable with. And I chose the revolver over an auto this way if a round misfires she can continue to squeeze the trigger until the gun is empty. But the 22lr is not truly a reliable round because of failure to fire. DO YOU WANT TO BET YOUR LIFE ON THAT.

Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 10:56 PM
(along with whichever handgun is playing HD duty)I would suggest becoming proficient with one pistol and using it as the sole "bedstand gun" unless the controls and handling characteristics are the same with all that you use.

My wife's primary is an M-1 carbine. Same size and function, easy for her to shoot, MUCH BETTER PERFORMANCE.That is the third gun for HD, pistol (HK USP-45FS) is first, followed by Saiga-12 (with No. 1 buck) as time permits, and finally the M1 Carbine (with HPs in 15rnd mag.) if something really goes awry. I believe it is the best of the bunch for HD rifles (though I would choose the M17 if my job was kicking in doors).

LibShooter
February 24, 2010, 11:02 PM
I think the unreliability of .22 ammo is often overstated. I've shot tens of thousands of rounds though my 10/22 (a lot of it cheap bulk stuff) and can remember maybe a dozen or so failures. With mini-mags I remember exactly one failure.

Granted, that's not perfect, but still pretty darn good. If that one bad round happens to be the one at the top of your magazine when you really, really need it, that WOULD suck. However, your brakes might fail on the interstate when you really, really need them, too. Sometimes your number is just up.

Having said that, 10 to 25 holes of 22/100ths of an inch in diameter poked in most any part of a bad guy seems very likely to provoke a rapid change in plans. If all I had was a 10/22 I would load it up and put it by the bed and feel safe.

Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 11:11 PM
I think the unreliability of .22 ammo is often overstated.I don't. I have had three near case-head separations in two different rimfires (.17HM2 and .22LR), all were from a well respected company that I have lost my respect for...CCI. All were in properly functioning, well-built firearms (one was damaged, the other temporarily out of service), and in the course of about 100rnds of .22LR and 14rnds of .17cal. over the course of one weekend. I do not put a great deal of faith in rimfire cartridges and NONE whatsoever in CCI QC (or CS).

TimboKhan
February 24, 2010, 11:36 PM
My answer to this is what it always is:

Not ideal

Will Work, though probably not immediately

Shot placement and/or volume of accurate fire is the key

Big Bill
February 25, 2010, 12:17 AM
The problem with a 10/22 for HD is the close quarters. In most houses distances are measured in feet - not yards. It doesn't take a young BG very much time to cover 10' to15' and take you out - even if it's dark. In some cases, a knife may actually be the more effective weapon for close in defensive work. That's why I have this next to my bed...

http://www.ontarioknife.com/images/specplus/sp6_fightingknife.jpg

benEzra
February 25, 2010, 12:23 AM
Try this: fill a 2-liter or milk jug with water. Grab the .22 and stand at self-defense distance (10-20 feet is probably good.) From the hip, empty the mag as quickly as possible into the milk jug. Then see how many hits you've gotten in a few seconds. I think many peoples' opinion of an autoloading .22 rifle for self-defense would change if they could experience this for themselves...
I'm curious about the suggestion to shoot from the hip. In my experience, one can shoot far more accurately and about as fast from the shoulder, using the front sight tower only (or even a shoulder point).

As to the OP's original question, if a 10/22 is what you have, use it. Choose ammunition that is absolutely reliable, and I'd try to find a reliable 25-round magazine instead of the factory 10-rounder.

AcceptableUserName
February 25, 2010, 12:25 AM
run what ya brung, i guess. if its all i had, and it had a banana.hi cap mag in it, i doubt the intruders gonna keep asking for more after you've peppered him, lets face it.

41magsnub
February 25, 2010, 12:29 AM
Not ideal, but if it was all I had I would not feel totally hosed. 25 rds of .22lr into a tight group as fast as I can pull the trigger, not bad as long as the circumstances line up to allow it. I'd much rather use something harder hitting.of course.

bad_aim_billy
February 25, 2010, 12:53 AM
I'm curious about the suggestion to shoot from the hip. In my experience, one can shoot far more accurately and about as fast from the shoulder, using the front sight tower only (or even a shoulder point).

Of course shooting from the hip isn't ideal, but the point is, in a self-defense situation, with a .22, it's actually very doable. It's scary how accurate a rifle with no recoil can be shot from the hip, at close ranges...

mljdeckard
February 25, 2010, 01:55 AM
You can drive a car with your feet if you want to. Doesn't make it a good idea.

NG VI
February 25, 2010, 02:34 AM
Not just as fast, show me the guy who can shoot either or even better both more accurately and faster from the hip as compared to the shoulder.

Can't be done, shoulder is always better in every way.

UnTainted
February 25, 2010, 02:40 AM
velocitor.

and suppressor

and clean the action and make sure to run it to feel for the reliability of that particular weapon.

Maverick223
February 25, 2010, 02:44 AM
ve-lo-cit-orCase-head sep-ar-a-tion. Definition of un-re-lia-ble.

I'll take mine hecho en mexico...Aguila Excelente Máximo HP por favor.

Dimis
February 25, 2010, 03:37 AM
i wont get into the argument of lethality or effectivness but in a situation where all i had was my 10/22 you better believe im dumping mags in the BG

the OP asked about good highcap mags that work i would go with the tactical innovations inc TI-25s
http://www.tacticalinc.com/ti25-advanced-composite-steel-magazine-ruger-1022-p-532.html
ive run thousands of rounds through the ones i have and never had a malfunction due to the magazine
they are adjustable to your rifle and you can get three types all metal all polymer or polymer with a metal lip the poly with metal lip is what i use and they can be dissmantled for cleaning

outerlimit
February 25, 2010, 06:37 AM
Lots of good posts in this thread. Once again I'll say a semi-auto .22lr carbine is nothing to sneeze at, even loaded with cheapo value brick rounds. I would not want to face one with a pistol.

There was an unprovoked random shooting recently in a nearby town where one person in the vehicle shot into the other with a .22lr carbine. It has caused me to rethink my car gun, though I haven't changed anything as of yet. There were two perps in the car, both armed with .22lr rifles. If that happened to me, I would not want to face those two attackers with a typical service sized pistol as my only arm.

Storz
February 25, 2010, 08:09 AM
How much of a difference is there in power between a .22 round from a pistol, and a .22 round coming out for a rifle or carbine?

I've had several .22 rifles (10/22 and a MarkII-FV) and was always amazed at how hard they would hit a swinging metal plate I had set out at 50 yards.

dom1104
February 25, 2010, 08:54 AM
I did a test once, comparing the two and the ability to penetrate aircraft aluminum <all I had> and the 22lr out of a rifle was far and away more powerfull.

I would almost call the 22lr out of a pistol anemic. It would barely dent the metal.

And the same round, and ESPECIALLY the hot 22lr rounds, just torn it up and blew chunks out of it out of the 24 inch rifle.

To me, it really is 22 Long Rifle :)

outerlimit
February 25, 2010, 08:59 AM
All of the hot and value box loads I've shot registered highest fps on the chronometer with an 18" custom barrel on a 10/22, that seems to be the sweet spot. That or around 20 inches. The Marlin M60 22" had nearly a 100fps decline with the hottest loads. It might have been a 24" barrel on the Marlin, not really sure it was several years ago. In fact now that I think about it, I think it was a 24". A barrel design difference could also be a slight factor between the two guns, but that's probably a small issue. More than 20" with a .22lr is pretty much pointless from my experience if you're only interested in speed!

Nicky Santoro
February 25, 2010, 09:33 AM
Ruger 10/22 for HD?

Pointed at an intruder's face, the bore to him will appear to be 12 gauge. Shot in the face, he'll wish his mother never met his father.
Ideal? No. Better than any non-firearm for HD? Absolutely.
I have a friend who was robbed by someone pointing a .22 rifle at his face. He said it seemed like he was looking down a sewer pipe.

wombat13
February 25, 2010, 09:50 AM
Not just as fast, show me the guy who can shoot either or even better both more accurately and faster from the hip as compared to the shoulder.

Can't be done, shoulder is always better in every way.
I think a few people have missed the point. The poster didn't write that one should fire from the hip in a HD situation. He was merely pointing out how much easier it is to put rounds on target from a non-ideal position with a carbine rather than a pistol. If you know that you will always be able to assume the proper stance, then this is irrelevant. If not, then ease of putting rounds on target in non-textbook stances is something to consider.

19-3Ben
February 25, 2010, 10:33 AM
I would suggest becoming proficient with one pistol and using it as the sole "bedstand gun" unless the controls and handling characteristics are the same with all that you use.

Every one of my pistols handle the same way for that exact reason. Everything is either striker-fired, revolver, or DA/SA with no safety. That way, i just pull the trigger. If I ever get a 1911 (which ai really want to eventually), it would just be a range gun. I don't want to change the routine or alter my well ingrained muscle-memory to "point and click."
I also don't pick a gun that doesn't point totally naturally for me right off the bat.

Oh and 90% of the time, it's my M&P9 that is pulling nightstand duty. So it's not like I'm switching around all that much.

But I appreciate the tip.

MCgunner
February 25, 2010, 10:43 AM
Proper application of a .22 bullet can do marvelous things. Just ask any successful poacher.

Shawn Dodson
February 25, 2010, 11:01 AM
I've had good performance with Butler Creek 10 rd Steel Lips magazines. They’ve been very reliable in my experience.

Ruger factory rotary magazines become unreliable when they get dirty. They cannot keep up when I work the trigger rapidly. I’d never use a rotary magazine for defense use.

I have three Tactical Innovations polymer 25 rd magazines. They’re nowhere near as reliable as the Butler Creek 10 rd magazines. When fully loaded with 25 rds the mass of cartridges is too much for the magazine spring to reliably keep up when firing the first half-dozen or so shots. I wouldn’t trust it for defense use.

Years ago I equipped my 10/22 to serve as an understudy gun to my AR/M4s. I installed a butt ugly Choate Pistol Grip Stock, XS Sight Systems Ghost Ring sight set, and a Power Custom Weaver base to mount a cheap ($30) BSA red dot optical sight. The whole setup has been very accurate and reliable for me.

http://www.riflestock.com/images/Products/Ruger-10-22_Pistol_Grip.jpg

If I were to use my 10/22 for home defense I’d use the Butler Creek 10 rd magazine for its superior reliability. It reliably feeds as quickly as I can press the trigger in rapid fire.

Good luck!

ezenbrowntown
February 25, 2010, 01:10 PM
I would think it lay largely on the "type" of home defense. The idea of being able to unload a large amount of ammo is appetizing for sure. Could it work, yeah. The problem I find with it is that there are better options available.

An AR has a 30 round magazine too, that could be unloaded quite quickly with a whole lot more stopping power. This doesn't even take into account various other rifle platforms, or even shotguns.

While not knocking anyone's defense options, my 10/22 would be the last thing I'd grab. I just can't justify it with other options available. Can it work, yes. Can something else work a lot better, yep.

X-Rap
February 25, 2010, 01:32 PM
There is little doubt that the 22 is well to the left of ideal, my support for it comes by the notion that everyone should have at least some kind of firearm at home and for me the all around favorite would be the 10/22. Shoot it often teach your wife and kids as well. If you have the money build on that but for the $100-$200 it takes to get one there is no excuse to be unarmed in your home and it is legal everywhere as far as I know. Shoot guns and center fire rifles are great but if the cost of ammo, recoil, weight is an impediment for your family and you can have just one then that would be my choice. Even if SHTF you have a nice compact weapon that will fill many rolls and you can keep a lot of ammo for.

Maverick223
February 25, 2010, 01:46 PM
An AR has a 30 round magazine too, that could be unloaded quite quickly with a whole lot more stopping power. This doesn't even take into account various other rifle platforms, or even shotguns.Speaking of which, a magnum load of No. 1 buck can deliver 24 pellets of .30cal that are in the neighborhood of the energy of a .22lr...so it is effectively a 25rnd magazine in one shell. :D

rondog
February 25, 2010, 01:58 PM
I have two 10/22 carbines, and they're the jammingest little bastards I've ever owned. Neither can get through a 10-rd. stock Ruger magazine without at least one jam/FTE. I know the 10/22's can be worked over to fix this, but until that's been done and the rifle tested to prove function and reliability, I wouldn't trust it. I just haven't tweaked mine yet, I have many other toys that don't jam.

But, that being said, if the rifle HAS been tweaked so that it runs well and won't jam, and it HAS been thoroughly tested with a good quality ammo that proves to function without problems, then yes, I would use it for defense. The 22LR round can certainly be deadly, especially if you dump as many into a BG as you can before he hits the floor.

Fortunately, I don't have to worry about it because I have many other choices. First in line are my 1911's and M1 carbine. And my .40S&W High Point carbine is deadly accurate and totally reliable. But, the original question was about using a 10/22, wasn't it? So that's my opinion.....well cleaned, tweaked for reliability, and tested with top shelf ammo, you should be OK. 22's are well-known for lethally damaging and stopping humans.

Fred Fuller
February 25, 2010, 05:55 PM
No matter what you use for defense, you have to accomplish two things for that firearm to be effective- placement and penetration. A .22 can manage penetration sufficient to be an effective stopper in a defensive role if placement is correct. As an EMT I saw proof of that in the field more than once.

In a defensive situation, the triangle formed by the outside corners of the eyes and the bottom of the nose is the most appropriate frontal target for any .22, handgun or carbine, IMHO. Shifting down the scale to a low powered round like a .22 rimfire only increases the necessity for good placement, and the best placement for a sure stop with a .22 is a CNS (central nervous system) shot.

If all I had for defense was a 10-22, I would use whatever ammunition 1) was most reliable in the particular 10-22, and 2) preferably with a solid bullet for the sake of penetration. I would definitely shoot from the shoulder if time and proximity permitted and likewise definitely use the sights, as accuracy is IMHO more important than rate of fire. I'd rather have something besides a .22 for defense, but if it was all I had I'd certainly use it to the best of my ability if the necessity arose.

fwiw,

lpl

Big Bill
February 25, 2010, 06:06 PM
I have two 10/22 carbines, and they're the jammingest little bastards I've ever owned.Do you completely disassemble and clean them? I have two 10/22s that NEVER jam. Never! But, I always thoroughly clean them every time I shoot them. I do the same with all my guns and very seldon ever get a jam or stovepipe or anything else.

Grey_Mana
February 25, 2010, 06:27 PM
Count on the 22lr giving you an advantage but not stopping the threat. Expect to have to continue fighting; know what you're planning to do next and don't be a dumb bunny stuck on observe-orient when you've emptied the magazine. If you don't have a better weapon handy, use the rifle as a whip, not a club. Keep ahold of the stock and use the tip of the gun like a cane to whip the skin (more effective against bare skin, less effective against drunks). Don't turn the gun around and try to bash with the stock.

unit91
February 25, 2010, 08:30 PM
The real question here isn't what is possible, it's what is probable. Can you kill a man with a .22 LR? Sure. Many people have. Would I want to try it at 3 AM, when I know that failure could result in the death of my wife and daughter? No way.

I can say with the confidence of experience that I can absolutely smoke a moving, 4 5/16 inch disk with a $170 Mossberg. Take the shotty, take the shotty, take the shotty.

shockwave
February 25, 2010, 09:47 PM
If you don't have a better weapon handy, use the rifle as a whip, not a club

Right. I was hoping someone would bring this up: a rifle is a weapon even after the bullets are gone or your opponent has engaged at close quarters. I train in quarterstaff, and in close combat I'd hold the rifle at the 1st quarter - 3rd quarter positions and use muzzle and stock for striking, jabbing, hooking and swinging. It's a very formidable weapon used this way and if you peppered the BG with .22lrs on the way in, by the time you're in clinching distance you'll have a huge advantage.

Practice this by using a heavy bag and, holding the rifle like a quarterstaff, swing the hips then follow through with stock or muzzle, elbows close to the body, and it will maximize your weight, lean forward and thrust with either end to the sternum, swing up for an uppercut, slam down on the back of the head or neck, the sucker's going down. We know that being pistol whipped is no fun, but being rifle-whipped is a game ender.

If you enjoyed reading about "Ruger 10/22 for HD?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!