You think Rifles cost too much? Look in the mirror

PDA

Golden_006
February 24, 2010, 11:31 AM
Prices are controlled by supply and demand but remember supply is controlled by who's willing to sell a given anything -- which in this case is a gun. Gun dealers control the supply of guns since they are willing to sell theirs, but you do to since you can sell yours.

If you enjoyed reading about "You think Rifles cost too much? Look in the mirror" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Maverick223
February 24, 2010, 12:08 PM
Hmmm, you're right...the darn mirror cost too much, besides what do I need a mirror for anyway. I think I'll sell my mirror so I can buy a new gun.

Nico Testosteros
February 24, 2010, 12:10 PM
Guns are cheaper than kids.
:evil:
Don't talk back either.

schlockinz
February 24, 2010, 12:21 PM
Really, mine talk back when I pull the trigger. I try to teach them a lesson by pulling the tigger more, usually they just keep talking back, so, I take them home and clean out that muzzle of theirs with Hoppes. That'll shut them up for a while...

R.W.Dale
February 24, 2010, 12:36 PM
Guns are far and away the cheapest hobby I've had.

You wanna spend some $$$$ buy a jeep!

schlockinz
February 24, 2010, 12:39 PM
Damn straight, if I had all the money that I put into my scrambler, I'd have a nicer collection and a damn fine safe to put them in!!!

longdayjake
February 24, 2010, 01:06 PM
What about taxes? Those are somewhat at fault as well. Guns would either be a lot cheaper without them or gunstores would be a lot richer.

Arkansas Paul
February 24, 2010, 01:13 PM
I don't see the issue. Yeah you can drop a few grand on a custom rifle. You could also drop $800-$1,000 on a very nice production rifle. You could spend $400-$500 on a mid range rifle or just pay $250 for a single shot.

There are many options for people with different budgets. If your budget is tight, you would want to look at the last two options. I think the main problemb is people expect custom products at budget prices. Sorry. Doesn't work that way.

I'm a fan of Weatherby rifles and I would love to have a MKV. That's not an option now, because I'm a broke full time student. So I bought a Vangaurd for $400 and it works fine, just doesn't have some of the nice features of the more expensive rifle. I'm not complaining though. Some day I'll be able to afford the more expensive one. You work with what you've got. It's not the gun maker's fault, or the gun dealers.

RedLion
February 24, 2010, 01:30 PM
There are cheaper guns out there.

The prices can be inflated by buyers and sellers, but at the end of the day, its up to the gun company to decide if what profit they are pulling in can keep them afloat.

And with the amount of gun dealers, its pretty hard for one dealer to inflate the prices too much. They also are more interested in moving product rather than a large profit on each product. It doesn't matter if you make $1,000 on a 1911, if nobody buys it for a year and a half.

Gregaw
February 24, 2010, 01:33 PM
I try to avoid looking in mirrors altogether. It's never a pretty sight.

I don't think selling our used guns is what would drive prices down. The increased supply needed to drive prices down won't happen unless we stop buying guns so quickly, and I'm afraid I can't sign up for that program either! :) My wish list is too long.

noob_shooter
February 24, 2010, 01:34 PM
Try cars.... very expensive. car parts and labors are hella expensive

WNTFW
February 24, 2010, 06:41 PM
Cars $$$$$
And guns have a good shelf life with a bit of care.

ms6852
February 24, 2010, 07:38 PM
Less expensive than drinking. As a matter of fact I shoot guns because I don't drink.

bad_aim_billy
February 24, 2010, 07:41 PM
You wanna spend some $$$$ buy a jeep!

JEEP = Just Empty Every Pocket

Less expensive than drinking.

And much easier on the liver and brain.

stsimons
February 24, 2010, 07:47 PM
About 10 years ago I got the offshore fishing bug pretty bad... now that is an expensive hobby. Shooting is cheap in comparison! I could by a couple nice rifles a month for what I used to spend a the fuel pump... not to mention the lastest whiz-bang lures and fishing reels and spectra line and dead bait and dockage and storage and and and and...

They say the happiest and saddest day in a fisherman's life is when he sells his boat. I can vouch for that!

Col. Plink
February 24, 2010, 08:02 PM
I like to think of myself as a bargain hunter, since I don't hunt animals. Everything I have shoots cheap stuff or can use surplus ammo. I do have a .40 and a .45, but with federal shells now plentiful at WalMart that's not too bad either (there are also Tula steel-cased loads too). Garands? $500 for a darn good shooter. Tokarev-shootin' CZ52's are still cheap and maybe the best round on the market for cost. Got a cherry VZ-24 8mm for $150... A HiPoint 40carbine for some ammo... New Savage boltie .22 for under $200 out the door at Dick's... Okay, I paid more than I might have for a Saiga-308 v.21, but it's worth it. The only rifle I've sold was for what I paid for it at WalMart, so nuts to the price gouging craze!

jmr40
February 24, 2010, 08:37 PM
In 1974 I bought my first rifle. Paid $175 for a Remington 700 adl. I was a kid working at minimum wage. It took 92 hours to save up the money. At todays minimum wages 92 hours of work will get you a little over $600. Today you can buy a better rifle than my old 700 for $300-$400. I'd say gun prices have gone down.

Hatterasguy
February 24, 2010, 10:17 PM
I'm a boater and an avid Mercedes enthusiast....guns are by far my least expensive hobby.

Rollis R. Karvellis
February 24, 2010, 11:35 PM
I just droped 1300.00 on my Jimmy last month, this is a viehicale that might get driven 1-200 mile's a month. That is almost 2 new Classic S&W's. Don'tt get me started on the junk that my wife is stuck driving. ect ect ect. If the market will bare $45.00 a box of 9mm. then that is what it will cost. I, bet our Europien friend's are laghfing there buts off at our whining.

browningguy
February 24, 2010, 11:48 PM
Who said they cost to much???

Sure the HK's of the world price their stuff out of sight but for the most part firearms are as cheap as they have ever been compared to incomes.

mokin
February 24, 2010, 11:51 PM
The market will only accomodate prices that reflect demand. So far, the majority of the replies have stated that, in fact, compared to other expenses, guns are cheap, demand remains high, and the market can support high (and increasingly higher) prices. This is called a "shortage".

I think what the OP has in mind is that if we want to reduce the price of rifles (create a "surplus"), we could increase the supply (sell our guns) to match the demand and bring the prices down. Another way of bringing the prices down would be to reduce the "demand" of rifles by stop buying.

Not to bash free-market, supply-side economics, it's democracy at a financial level, and it's not about charity. We have a large degree of control over the markets and if we don't don't buy it, for whatever reason, the product or company goes away.

Big Bill
February 24, 2010, 11:52 PM
I look in the mirror and all I see is Eric Holder. So, it's all his fault. If he hadn't opened his big mouth, all those sheep wouldn't have run down to the local gunstore and bought everything they could get their hands on, drivin up prices for us poor folk.

Texas Gun Person
February 24, 2010, 11:53 PM
Mirrors are pretty expensive...

lopezni
February 25, 2010, 12:01 AM
you also have to account for the corporate overhead the bulk of manufacturer's have to cover. in the last decade the majority of manufacturer's have been purchased by a handful of larger companies. also, the increase in money spent on advertising. they have to support the publications and staff of the magazines that promote their junk. so stop buying those dumb magazines that never write a bad review on any gun that comes out. then stop going to gun shows where people can gouge prices and show companies how far they can push the envelop when it comes to markup

schlockinz
February 25, 2010, 12:29 AM
I think that most hunting rifles are still pretty cheap, 'cept used 30.30's.

Now, pistols, tacticool stuff, thats all through the roof still, but a lot cheaper than last year.

If you enjoyed reading about "You think Rifles cost too much? Look in the mirror" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!