Safety notch problem on my remington 1858

PDA

klalewicz
February 24, 2010, 11:41 AM
Hello,I recently purchase a used Pietta Remington 1858 and am very pleased with it, however, the bottom of the hammer catches on the cylinder not allowing it to seat properly in the safety notch. Because of this, the cylinder can be rotated, and the hammer can fall onto the nipple. I was wondering if it has the wrong hammer, or possibly the wrong cylinder. Aside from that problem, everything functions great. I'm thinking the problem is the hammer, and I could file down the bottom of it to fix this problem. If any one has one, could you post a picture of the hammer so I could compare the two. Thanks.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety notch problem on my remington 1858" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
sundance44s
February 24, 2010, 12:04 PM
I`ve owned many Remingtons and never had one that came with a propper hammer to safty notch fit .
The best fix ...is to load 5 and keep the hammer down on an empty chamber .
If you want the hammer to fit the safty notches ...get out a file and stone and have at it .

klalewicz
February 24, 2010, 12:06 PM
thanks for the advise

oldpuppymax
February 24, 2010, 12:20 PM
I have a '58 Pietta Police and it works fine into the notch. (As does my Pietta Colt)

Fingers McGee
February 24, 2010, 01:19 PM
I've had a couple Pietta Remmies that needed a little judicious file and stone work for the hammer to fit the safety slots.

FM

NCWanderer
February 24, 2010, 04:20 PM
The notches on my '58 Remmie (Pietta) engage just fine, but with these old eyes I have trouble lining them up. So I do like Sundance and just load 5. That is unless I'm heading for a gun fight.:D

SixShootinSam
February 24, 2010, 05:12 PM
I just took a pic of my hammer in the safety notch for you, it barely seats in there, but it does stay. Slightly filing it would probably do the trick for ya.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/7841/hammergj.jpg

Hellgate
February 25, 2010, 02:10 AM
I've had Piettas that needed either the hammer filed where it contacted the cylinder below the safety notch (the top of the protruding part where the cylinder rubs against the frame) AND the tip of the hammer being too wide to fit into the safety notch. Filing one area let the hammer seat deeper and filing to thin the tip of the hammer to actually allow it to rest in the safety notch. I have not had the above problems with either Ubertis or Euroarms Remingtons.

madcratebuilder
February 25, 2010, 09:19 AM
They don't spend much time fitting these during manufacturing. Depending on how hard the case hardening on your hammer is you may need to stone it vs a file. A small flat stone in a Dremel well make short work of it.

klalewicz
February 25, 2010, 09:25 AM
Thanks for all the info

GENTLEMAN OF THE CHARCOAL
February 25, 2010, 09:34 AM
I'vd never had a problem with the safety notches on my Pietta's or my Uberti Carbines. I know they work alright but why don't you do like I do on my guns including my Walkers and my Colt .31? Just load all six (five in the .31) and go. Get the notches (or the hammer) on the firearm repaired of course and then don't worry about it. I'vd carried mine in all sorts of situations over the years and have never had one fire unless I cocked it and pulled the trigger. Can't you carry a revolver in a holster without dropping it? That gun ain't gonna go off unless you mis-use it or abuse it in some kind of way....PS..Don't mean to sound dis-respectful or like a smartass here. Wasn't meant that way at all. Hell, I slip my revolver (whichever one) into the holster, (except for the .31. Lot's of times I will just drop it in one of my pockets) slip the rawhide safety thong over the hammer and I'm good to go, loaded all the way around and ready to kiss ass....

mykeal
February 25, 2010, 01:38 PM
GOTC - We're all human. We make mistakes. To answer your question: Can't you carry a revolver in a holster without dropping it?
the answer is almost yes. Almost all the time. And then there's the one time we get distracted and the barrel catches on the edge and the hammer catches on your belt and oops! a mistake is made. If nobody ever made mistakes then nobody would have ever gotten accidentally shot, but somehow it happens, and it's not always due to carelessness.

Have you ever been in a car accident? Do you know anyone who has? Have you ever spilled a cup of coffee? Ever cut yourself with a knife?

The last guy who was perfect and never made mistakes died over 2000 years ago. I haven't seen the next one yet.

Mike OTDP
February 25, 2010, 03:17 PM
My Hege (and, of course, my originals) work perfectly. I load six rounds for team events...but the gun is in my hand, not in a holster.

February 25, 2010, 03:52 PM
Mr. MyKeak, that MAY be true for some people but it dosen't apply to me. No Sir, I am far from being a perfect human being but I can assure you that I know what a firearm is capable of doing and I am very careful with my guns. Anyone who has a loaded firearm belted on or in his (her) pocket or in their hands or at sling arms and allows themselves to become distracted by anything for any reason dosen't belong within 40 feet of any loaded firearm. I wear a gun most all the time. I have one on right now. Went outside awhile ago and buckled it on before I went outside. Fully loaded Walker hanging on my right hip and a CaseXX Bowie on my left hip. They are there. I'll get around to taking the rig off in a little while here, but I can assure you that while I have it on it never leaves my mind that I have it on and I can also assure you that I will make NO mistakes with it, either wearing it, removing it, shooting it, cleaning it, reloading it, or laying it on the foot of the bed where it usually stay's when I'm not wearing it. I will agree that accidents happen in this world but I'll tell you right now that accidents do NOT happen with loaded firearms and explosives but is instead the result of plain STUPIDITY, nothing more nothing less. There is no excuse that will serve to excuse such behavior....

SixShootinSam
February 25, 2010, 05:18 PM
Gonna have to agree with mykeal on this, it's not always the fact that YOU are well aware of your surroundings. Accidents also often happen when your surroundings influence YOU instead. Something falls on you, something makes you trip, you slip etc etc, and there you have it. May not be a big chance that your firearm will discharge from it, but the chance is definitely there, and it won't matter how careful you were with your gun. I'm a pretty careful guy, and I can say honestly that most accidents that happened to me were not because of being distracted or stupidity.

Anyway, getting a little off topic here.

sundance44s
February 25, 2010, 05:51 PM
Murphys law has been hard on me all my life ..and I have the scars to remind me .
Not a good idea to challenge ol Murphy ..he`s a sly one .

February 25, 2010, 08:09 PM
I wasn't trying to say everyone should do like me but was just explaining how it is with me. I can't help how I am or how I feel. If I was afraid to belt on a loaded gun because I was afraid there would be an accident and I'd get hurt or hurt somebody else then I wouldn't fool with a damn gun period. Wouldn't even own one if I worried about stuff like that all the time. All you have to do is be careful and use a little common sense. I don't keep my guns locked up and maybe once a week carry them to some range in my pickup truck and stand at a table and load them and shoot them. I'vd got loaded guns and razor sharp knives laying all over this 5th wheel. On the bed, on the table, on the couch, just all over. If one of them get's in my way I just slide it over a little or whatever. I ain't never had one of them go off unless I meant for it to. Can't help how I am and didn't mean any harm but I'd rather be like me than to be like ya'll....

SixShootinSam
February 25, 2010, 08:55 PM
GOTC I don't really understand why you are getting worked up about this.
Nobody here said they were afraid of having an accident with a gun. Good for you that you have an arsenal in your trailer and never had any accidents. The original poster just asked about a possible defect on his hammer/safety notch. You're taking this completely out of context. I'd rather be like 'us' than 'yous' I guess, no offense meant.

arcticap
February 26, 2010, 02:38 AM
There's different ways of doing things and not everyone has to agree.
If there's any one thing that we should all do it is to agree to disagree. :)

I think that if folks want to be prepared then they should be prepared.
An armed person shouldn't always expect that there's going to be less than 6 bad guys or a need for less than 6 shots.
Would've, should've, could've loaded 6! :rolleyes:

mykeal
February 26, 2010, 08:22 AM
Why not carry six revolvers? How about three? An armed man shouldn't always expect that there's going to be less than, say eight bad guys, or a need for less than fifteen shots.

There's no logic there, only speculation.

I agree that if folks want to be prepared then they should be prepared. And our experience as humans has taught us to be prepared for the mistakes that we make, because we are going to make them.

February 26, 2010, 11:08 AM
Hell, I'm not worked up about anything. Just responding to something I read in this thread. I do not keep or have an arsenal in my trailer. Having 3 or 4 ol' loaded black powder guns laying around dosen't exactly qualify as an arsenal the last time I checked. Don't I have a right to voice my opinion on a matter? No, I do not have accidents with loaded firearms and if ya'll are prone to such behavior I am certainly glad ya'll are not around me. Mr. MyKeal, just because you evidently don't trust yourself with a loaded firearm and are scared to death it's going to go off by itself or that you're going to do something to it 'accidentally' to cause it to discharge when you don't want it to sound's like a personal problem to me. You should really consider therapy for this hang-up. You 'gentlemen' have a good day....

theotherwaldo
February 26, 2010, 11:16 AM
I figure, if you have a safety device then it should work. If it doesn't work, either make it work or discard it.

That applies to safeties, sights, seat belts, senators, or anything else that is supposed to protect you and/or those around you.

sundance44s
February 26, 2010, 11:27 AM
Boy seems like everyone is a little up tight these days .....I know I have been ...doctor bills takeing all my gun buying money ....Heck last year I was buying a gun a month .
Now I have to sell one to buy one ...sure hope things improve soon .
Hang in there guys ...just let things roll off yer back like water off a duck .

arcticap
February 26, 2010, 12:47 PM
Why not carry six revolvers? How about three? An armed man shouldn't always expect that there's going to be less than, say eight bad guys, or a need for less than fifteen shots.

There's no logic there, only speculation.

I agree that if folks want to be prepared then they should be prepared. And our experience as humans has taught us to be prepared for the mistakes that we make, because we are going to make them.

There's a risk to loading six and there's a risk to not loading six.
Each individual gets to decide which is the greater risk, loading six or not loading six.
All I know is that people have the freedom and the right to load 6 so I defend that right.
I think that's totally logical.
The reasons for wanting to be prepared with 6 shots are no more speculative than saying that loading 6 is an accident waiting to happen.

http://cookiemag.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/07/03/spock.gif

February 26, 2010, 01:03 PM
sundance44s..I'm having a good time! First lively conversation I'vd seen on this site in way over a year. I'm not uptight here. A little disgusted with a couple of people here but that alway's happens when you discuss guns, politics, and religion. sundance, do you know anything about the stainless steel (or nickled steel) U.S.Marshall .44 caliber other than what Cabela's say's about it? Cost's about $360.00 I think. Have you ever shot it? A good friend of mine who was assigned to me (I was instructed to take him under my wing as it were) is retiring from the FBI shortly and I want to get him a present. I know he has expressed interest in black powder revolvers from time to time and I'vd caught him a couple of times peeping at the Marshall's Model. Sound's like you collect and go through a lot of guns and thought you might be able to help me..Thanks..

Fingers McGee
February 26, 2010, 01:27 PM
GOTC,

I've got three of the Pietta Marshall Model '51s (two .44s and one .36). I haven't been able to get a definitive reply from Pietta on the finish. What I have gotten from them is that they are a highly polished carbon steel with a hardened finish. Not sure what exactly that means. It's not nickle or stainless but something that is stain and rust resistant. I bought all of mine used, and they have been reliable and fun to shoot. First thing I did to each one was disassemble, deburr & install Treso Nipples.

Here's a picture of the .36
http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c86/fingersmcgee/100_1704.jpg

Fingers

sundance44s
February 26, 2010, 01:39 PM
GOTC ..Thats one I have never owned .. it is eye candy though.
Maybe when times get easyer..I`ll give one a shot.

NCWanderer
February 26, 2010, 02:44 PM
Don't give him something too pretty. He might be afraid he'll mess it up by just shooting it. He might just hang it on the wall instead. I would suggest a sort of Plain Jane Colt or Remie. You know what I mean. A real shooter that he wouldn't worry if it got a scratch or ding now and then.
Just my 2 cents worth
NC

Jim K
February 26, 2010, 03:52 PM
I think there got to be some confusion here. The OP and most of the other responders were talking about the safety notches in the rear of the Remington-type cylinder. If the gun is made correctly, it is perfectly safe to lower the hammer into those notches and carry all six chambers loaded.

Some posters appear to be talking about the safety notch in the hammer of a SAA type revolver (percussion guns don't have a safety notch). Resting the hammer in that notch is not very safe because any significant blow on the hammer will break the thin trigger and drive the firing pin into the primer of a cartridge under the hammer. For those guns, either carry with an empty chamber under the hammer or with the hammer down between rounds.

It is interesting that the makers of repro Remingtons do put in the cylinder safety notch, but makers of Colt repros almost never install safety pins, even though they cut the hammer for them. If installed and used, the Colt safety pins are as good as the Remington cylinder notch.

Jim

klalewicz
February 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
I'm glad I started this thread. Seemed to have stirred some things up!

February 26, 2010, 08:00 PM
Fingers, yeah that look's like something close to the .44 except the one on Cabela's website showed it with the plain wooden grips. Thanks for the info. The fact that you have found them to be (#1 RELIABLE) and (#2 FUN TO SHOOT) really told me what I was trying to find out....NC Wanderer, you have a good point but he is a good friend. Thought about giving him one of my worked on Pietta Remington .44 Armies to kind of help him get started but I just couldn't bear to part with it. Out of the question....Well, I'vd never shot one of them either sundance. Never seen one in real life and only knew what Cabela's had to say about it and it is pretty although I myself prefer my Army Model Remingtons. (next to the Uberti Walkers of course)..Thank ya'll. Ya'll have been helpful....

Fingers McGee
February 26, 2010, 08:32 PM
GOTC, my .44s are as pictured in the Cabelas catalog, brass BS/TG & one piece walnut grips. Just didn't have a picture of one of them handy. The .36 was that same way when I bought it. The polished in-the-white BS/TG and faux ivory grips came from a Great Western II. Thought they made the pistol look better. Would like to do same with the .44s if I can find some reasonably priced parts for them. Prices for parts have skyrocketed of late.

sundance44s
February 27, 2010, 02:00 PM
I`ve got a few revolvers I`ve polished in the white ...they do clean easy ..and I like them better than the stainless steel ones I`ve owned .
Some of the Italian stainless steel is a little soft ..compaired to the regular steel guns.

February 27, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'vd never messed with stainless or nickled hardly. I have a stainless Pietta Remington 1858 New Model Army (not Target Model) but I'vd never shot it much. Maybe 12 times. I just feel so exposed using stainless. I like blued steel. Not much reflection and the sun or moon or stars won't reflect off of it and let someone see you 15 miles away.... I guess I'm going to present him with the .44 U.S. Marshall's Model. His wife will probably take it away from him and keep it for herself but I don't reckon I care. I can't really afford it but who the hell can afford anything nowadays anyway?....

Tommygunn
February 27, 2010, 08:36 PM
It is interesting that the makers of repro Remingtons do put in the cylinder safety notch, but makers of Colt repros almost never install safety pins, even though they cut the hammer for them. If installed and used, the Colt safety pins are as good as the Remington cylinder notch.

Hmmmm. Uberti installs them on all their Colts. Pietta installed them on their 1860 Army models, and did not used to on their 1851 Navy. But I have noticed that as of a few years ago they have started to.
In the early 1990s when I started BP I bought some Armi San Marco revolvers. Their colts never had the pins back then, but I once saw an earlier 1861 Navy they had made and it had the pins.

As for Palmetto or Euroarms .... don't know.

Smiling Bob
January 17, 2013, 01:33 PM
Hellgate,

Sent you a PM

Smiling Bob :D

SOORY Wrong Post

Smiling Bob

Jaymo
January 17, 2013, 11:35 PM
The 51 Marshals probably are nitrided. It's harder than hard chrome, and more rust resistant, too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Safety notch problem on my remington 1858" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!