S&W 586 cylinder gap & end shake problem?

PDA

Ozarkrick
February 24, 2010, 06:07 PM
I have a S&W 586 no dash I purchased in 83-84' that has a significant amount (.018") of barrel/cylinder gap and cylinder end shake and I would like to get advise on the best way to fix the problem. I have approximately 75K rounds through the pistol (mostly light to mid-range 38's). From what I have read, anything over 0.012" is out of spec by S&W standards. I have never shipped a firearm to a factory. Is sending it to the factory the best way to go? Do they charge for the repair? If so roughly how much. If I send it to the factory are there other things I should have looked at or fixed? I live in a remote area (Ozarks) far from any city. Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 586 cylinder gap & end shake problem?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dfariswheel
February 24, 2010, 07:27 PM
I'd ship the gun in to S&W for a factory repair and inspection.

While some of this can be repaired by a good local gunsmith or even by you, after that many rounds the gun could stand an inspection and possible overhaul.
S&W will do it the right way and put the gun back in top condition.

As for extras, you could have the gun given an action job to give a smoother, lighter trigger, but after that many rounds its probably already pretty smooth.
If the finish is really worn, S&W can re-blue it for you.
Mechanically, there's not much to be done other than having it put back in good working order and adjustment.

You can ship the gun yourself direct to S&W, and S&W will ship it direct back to you.
You have to use UPS or FedEx, since a non-dealer can't ship by US Mail.
If you know an FFL dealer who will do it for you, he can mail it cheaper, but he'll charge a fee to ship it which may cost as much as if you shipped it yourself.
You do have to tell the shipper that its a gun, and you do need to fully insure it.

To ship, the shippers insist the gun be shipped the fastest way, which is usually around $30.00 or so.
Wrap the gun REALLY well, make sure to put a letter inside with your name and address etc, including the serial number of the gun, make and model, and a short note on what you think is wrong and what you want done.
DO NOT put the S&W name on the outside of the box.

After S&W gets the gun, they'll do a full inspection and send you an estimate of repair costs. Most gun companies can repair most anything in an hour, so the usual minimum charge is one hour's labor and parts.

I'd get on the S&W web site and read up on their directions on getting factory repairs.

Jim K
February 24, 2010, 08:01 PM
I would call S&W first. They might not pick up the shipping cost since it is not a warranty repair, but they have been known to send a UPS label for returns even for regular repair.

Jim

If you enjoyed reading about "S&W 586 cylinder gap & end shake problem?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!