Revolving Rifles

PDA

GunsBeerFreedom
February 24, 2010, 07:34 PM
I've been toying with the idea of a revolving rifle. I've seen several available, but only in pistol calibers. I want a rifle caliber. But my biggest concern is, is such a thing even possible? Could a revolver cylinder hand the pressures that modern rifle rounds deliver? I know there are 45-70 revolvers, so I wouldn't think a revolving rifle in that caliber would be too far fetched. But most loads I've seen in reloading manuals don't go past 35K.

So in short is it possible to make a revolver cylinder that can handle say, 308 pressures?

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolving Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Balrog
February 24, 2010, 07:43 PM
You know with a revolving rifle, you have to put your left arm on the forearm of the stock, which means it will be exposed to the cylinder gap and hot escaping gases. Does that sound like a good idea?

GRIZ22
February 24, 2010, 07:59 PM
You know with a revolving rifle, you have to put your left arm on the forearm of the stock, which means it will be exposed to the cylinder gap and hot escaping gases. Does that sound like a good idea?

Rifle pressures would make the blast worse. It's even a worst idea with a cap and ball revolving rifle. If you get a chain fire you're supporting hand gets hit by up to 5 balls. That would be a surgeon's nightmare trying to put it back together.

GunsBeerFreedom
February 24, 2010, 08:11 PM
I've never heard of such problems with the MTs-255, but granted, I've heard little at all about them.

Balrog
February 24, 2010, 08:18 PM
That would be a surgeon's nightmare trying to put it back together.

Actually it would be simple. Just snip off any bits left attached, and apply a dressing. Hand goes in the bucket.

I've never heard of such problems with the MTs-255, but granted, I've heard little at all about them.

If I am not mistaken, that shotgun has a metal shield that covers the cylinder gap.

Vicious-Peanut
February 24, 2010, 08:18 PM
I've never heard of such problems with the MTS-255, but granted, I've heard little at all about them.

This is the first thing that popped into my head, but you must remember, shotguns operate at ~12K psi, a lot less than the ~60K a .308 operates at. Plus, I think they might have a shield, but its hard to tell.

Balrog
February 24, 2010, 08:22 PM
I am pretty sure they have a shield.

Nick5182
February 24, 2010, 08:27 PM
I've never been a fan of revolving carbines until I saw Taurus was coming out with this http://www.rossiusa.com/2010newcatalog/?catalog_page=5 and I have to say that I am very intrigued by this carbine, and am seriously considering getting one when they come out.

GunsBeerFreedom
February 24, 2010, 08:30 PM
This is the first thing that popped into my head, but you must remember, shotguns operate at ~12K psi, a lot less than the ~60K a .308 operates at. Plus, I think they might have a shield, but its hard to tell.

Hence my question. And they do have a shield.

VA27
February 24, 2010, 09:28 PM
With the right steel the pressures wouldn't be a problem. Base the design on the Nagant revolver and the cylinder blast problem is solved.

Draw yer money gun and start shootin' out hunnerd dollar bills 'til yer gunsmith says "Whoa!"
(Make sure you've practiced your speedload!)

Col. Plink
February 24, 2010, 09:32 PM
I don't mind tellin' you that Circuit Judge is one sexy gun! I don't go out for looks much with firearms but that's a fetching piece right there.

Nicodemus38
February 24, 2010, 09:38 PM
the true issue is mechanical in nature, not a function of structural strength.

the mechanical issue is that when the cartridge goes up in size and pressure, the cylinder must go up in size and weight. there then appears a mechanical issue between cylinder, hand, and cylinder bolt. slow operation would be ok for a reasonable round count. however as some people have discovered with SOME models of taurus judge is that the longer and heavier cylinders have to much mass to be stopped in time for proper alignment with barrel and firing pin at moment of ignition. that makes issues appear.

madcratebuilder
February 25, 2010, 07:47 AM

Rifle pressures would make the blast worse. It's even a worst idea with a cap and ball revolving rifle. If you get a chain fire you're supporting hand gets hit by up to 5 balls. That would be a surgeon's nightmare trying to put it back together.

You well only place your hand in front of the cylinder one time.

If your shooting a true revolving rifle with a rifle length barrel you pretty much have to hold forward of the cylinder, back in the day heavy gloves with long gauntlets were used.

If shooting a carbine or pistol length barrel a two hand hold at the grips works very well. These are a blast to shoot.

http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d37/madcratebuilder/rcarbine01.jpg

Lovesbeer99
February 25, 2010, 09:00 AM
http://www.rossiusa.com/2010newcatalog/?catalog_page=4

This one is built on a taurus judge frame.

BsChoy
February 25, 2010, 10:15 AM
Taurus is actually making a judge rifle this year....A revolving rifle!

If you enjoyed reading about "Revolving Rifles" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!