Arsenal SGL31

PDA

LoneRider
February 24, 2010, 08:38 PM
I was recently skimming the magazine rack at my installation's Post Exchange and saw an article in Special Weapons about the Arsenal SGL31. Has anyone bought one or owned one at all? When it comes to good AK derivatives I've heard good things about this particular rifle.

Any input would be appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arsenal SGL31" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Kurt_D
February 25, 2010, 12:58 AM
Yes I have one. Very good quality. Kind of expensive but 100% brand new and where else are you going to get a Russian AK-74M?

LoneRider
February 25, 2010, 02:07 AM
The price is reasonable from what I've seen. Is it true that it can accept any AK-74 mag by any manufacturer? I plan on purchasing 30 round magazines in addition to the 10 round mags the weapon comes with.

Kurt_D
February 25, 2010, 04:02 PM
Yup, should use all 74 mags. I only have East German bakelites and Circle 10 poly mags, they work fine. The SGL has a feedramp riveted in. Of course, there's several people who've reported the regular 5.45 Saigas with out feed ramps work with surplus mags too.

mshootnit
February 25, 2010, 05:25 PM
I had one and sold it. Wasn't quite happy with the front sight alignment, or accuracy. She wouldn't hit a 8.5X11" sheet of paper at 200 yds very often even with a 9X scope. Paint on the rifle strips off with Wal mart cleaner. Also even if you are shooting non corrosive ammo you better blue or do something to the muzzle face under the flash hider. That sucker gets ugly fast. At that price too many other good rifles around. I would definitely get the RAA saiga 5.45 or 308 then do the conversion myself. Better rifle in the end. The action is hell-for-stout and will kick cases 20 feet or more.

Gelgoog
February 25, 2010, 07:09 PM
Well I can't speak for the Arsenal Saigas, but their bulgarian guns are top notch. I have two of their SLR-106s and could not be happier with their performance.

LoneRider
February 25, 2010, 07:18 PM
Being somewhat of an AK newbie I'm curious as to how readily available 5.45x39mm is as opposed to 7.62x39mm?

Gelgoog
February 25, 2010, 07:31 PM
Most of the 5.45x39 is surplus being imported. There are a few state bound manufacters right now. Manufactuers are not going to start making 5.45x39 until the surplus starts to dry up because they can no compete. So you really do not have to worry about availability, because someone will fill the void.

7.62 is alot more available because there are alot more of them 7.62x39 AKs floating around. However do not let that be a deciding factor.

When AKs were first being imported, finding 7.62x39 was difficult, but soon the dirt cheap ammo started floading in and people began to take a look at the AK becuase it was so cheap. Prices however of 7.62x39 have gone up as the surplus dried up, where as 5.45x39 is still in the cheap surplus stage. That is why I advocate buying a AK74 because people are really starting to catch onto the 5.45x39 for it accuracy and cheap price point.

As the saying goes. With 5.45x39, but it cheap stack it deep. In a few years people will be complaining that they bought thousands of rounds of 5.45 at 8 cents a round and now have to pay 20 cents, just like they have done with every other import gun when surplus ammo dries up.

If you enjoyed reading about "Arsenal SGL31" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!