Now That I have a rifle coming,

PDA

grubbylabs
February 24, 2010, 09:34 PM
What scope to I get. I think I am going to have to get a cheap one for now and then get a really good one. So for now about 150 with 200 being on the very high end.

If you enjoyed reading about "Now That I have a rifle coming," here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
patsygarret
February 24, 2010, 09:42 PM
dont know what type of shooting you will be doing but burris,nikon, bushnell elite 3200 and even leupold could get you a 4x or 3x9 for roughly that price. you will hear spend as much as you can on glass, and its true. dont skimp on the scope. i would personally stay away form chinese made optics. Have Fun.

PT1911
February 24, 2010, 09:45 PM
and the rifle is? and the purpose is? sorta important things to know..

Birddog1911
February 24, 2010, 09:50 PM
I would also recommend looking at the Super Sniper scopes. Horrible name, but darned good glass starting at $300. A little over what your thinking to start, but I bet it would be a scope you would stick with.

mljdeckard
February 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
Purpose, barrel length, cartridge?

grubbylabs
February 24, 2010, 09:52 PM
OOps forgot to mention, it is a hunting rifle and will be used for that. Elk, Deer, bear. Will have a possibility of 200 plus yard shots regularly. I know I should spend as much as possible but for right now I need to stay on the cheep just so I can shoot it and then is a few months I will spend the dough and get a good one. I really want something like a Leupold 4X12 but they are just out of range at the moment.

PT1911
February 24, 2010, 09:56 PM
Look into the bushnell elite series (I have 2)... Great scopes that are well worth the money... there are also great options available from Nikon in your price range... I would go with a 3x9 or possibly a 4x12 for your stated purposes. DO NOT SKIMP on the rings and mounts!!!

patsygarret
February 24, 2010, 09:57 PM
I would look into the leupold rifleman line. it is right at the top end of your limit but i just checked SWFA and the 3x9 is around 199 and the 4x12 is 239.00. Other than that i would have no problem with the other i listed but you will have a thousand replys on whats the best. These are just scopes that i have felt were worth my money, good light gathering and above all consistent.

PT1911
February 24, 2010, 10:05 PM
Nothing wrong with the riflemans, but I think they are a bit overpriced for what they are... the new Redfield line comes in at a cheaper price and good quality... I actually picked one up myself today... I would take it over the rifleman at the same price and it is 50 bucks less... for 200 bucks, I would DEFINITELY take a 3x9 Bushnell Elite 3200 over the rifleman.

hometheaterman
February 24, 2010, 10:08 PM
After having 2 Leupold VX-I's I wouldn't buy a Leupold unless you got a super duper price on one. That being said if you want one I have 2 I'd like to sell. One is a 2x7x33 that just went into Leupold for repair and will be for sale when I get it back. The other is a 3x9x40mm I'd like to sell too.

Honestly, the best scope I've tired is a Burris Fullfield II. I absolutely 100% love it. It's way clearer than the Leupold VX-I's, way better in low light, and seems to actually hold zero when shooting. I'd highly recommend it. You can get them right under $200.

Another option I haven't personally used but wouldn't hesitate to try is the Vortex Diamondback. I've read nothing but great things about them.

If you want really cheap you could go with a cheap Simmons to get you by. However, I think the Burris or Vortex would be a great choice that you probably wouldn't ever need to upgrade.

hometheaterman
February 24, 2010, 10:10 PM
Nothing wrong with the riflemans, but I think they are a bit overpriced for what they are... the new Redfield line comes in at a cheaper price and good quality... I actually picked one up myself today... I would take it over the rifleman at the same price and it is 50 bucks less... for 200 bucks, I would DEFINITELY take a 3x9 Bushnell Elite 3200 over the rifleman.Isn't the Redfield supposed to basically be re badged Rifleman? I wouldn't purchase on those either. If you read the Redfield thread here you can see Snakum on here has had problems with his changing the POI with different magnification levels. Then when they did a review of scopes under $200 the Redfield was one of them. They also had issues with it changing the POI at different magnification levels. Personally I wouldn't want a scope that did this when I could get a much clear, much better scope like the Vortex or Burris for not all that much more.

hometheaterman
February 24, 2010, 10:11 PM
BTW I should also mention that Amazon has a great price on the Bushnell 4200. It's like $230 or $240 or something for the 3x9x40. That's a heck of a scope too.

airbus300
February 24, 2010, 10:16 PM
swfa.com had Nikon Team Primos (which is a rebadged Nikon Monarch) for
$199. I have one and love it. I put it on an Thompson Icon .243.
I had about the same price range. It has the bdc that takes some getting use to.

PT1911
February 24, 2010, 10:24 PM
rifleman's are chinese made with Leupold's name stamped on... the Redfields are US made in Oregon and ring in at 150 bucks... for that price, I think it is ahead of most. For another 50 bucks.. I would opt for the bushnell elite offerings or possibly a nikon.

i am personally not a fan of the burris but that is just my preference.

Big Bill
February 24, 2010, 10:41 PM
Hey GL - I have a Bushnell DOA 600. I sure like it. It's on my 300 wsm; and, I found it locally for $94.

http://www.bushnell.com/products/scopes/riflescopes/trophy/733948B/

Al LaVodka
February 24, 2010, 11:10 PM
Always been a Simmons (44 Mag.) fan.

There is a rule of thumb that the glass should cost you half the price of the gun. I personally don't subscribe to that, but...

PAK

juk
February 25, 2010, 01:01 AM
Nikon Prostaff

hometheaterman
February 25, 2010, 01:43 AM
swfa.com had Nikon Team Primos (which is a rebadged Nikon Monarch) for
$199. I have one and love it. I put it on an Thompson Icon .243.
I had about the same price range. It has the bdc that takes some getting use to. Another good choice I forgot to mention.

grubbylabs
February 25, 2010, 02:13 AM
I found a deer field on evilbay for less than 20. It is a 4x so I think that will work fine for initial shooting and then when my wife recovers from the shock of 3 guns inside of one month I will get a nice scope.

what say you all about Pentax scopes are they as good as their other optics?

Al LaVodka
February 25, 2010, 08:47 AM
You novice! Man-Law 201 is in session...

To a turkey every stump is a man and to a deer every man is a stump. To a women every AR is the same as a Krag. And a scope you can hide in a deep pocket.

Al

cal74
February 25, 2010, 09:29 AM
Pretty easy to pick up a used VXII Leupold 3-9 for 175-200.00

Keep it in good shape and if you change your mind a year or two down the road you'll get your money back out of it fairly easily.

New Redfields or the Bushnells mentioned would be worth considering. Stay away from the off brands.

MachIVshooter
February 25, 2010, 11:37 AM
New, a Nikon pro-staff 3-9x is probably your best bet in that price range.

That said, unless you have another rifle you plan to move that scope to when you upgrade, I'd just save your pennies and buy what you want the first time. It ends up being more economical in the long run. How many times have you bought something cheap just to get by, only to later end up buying the quality product that you wouldn't spend the coin on the first time? You just end up having wasted the initial investment on the cheaper product.

peptoe
February 25, 2010, 11:44 AM
Waever fixed 6X. IMHO when you're buying a a cheaper scope it's best to buy something with the least bells and whistles. I wish Redfield would have come out with a line of fixed powered scopes.

Zerodefect
February 25, 2010, 11:47 AM
Another vote for super sniper.

I have no idea what model it was, I didn't own it.

hub
February 25, 2010, 01:34 PM
Another vote for super sniper.

I own a Super Sniper 10x and I agree it's a great scope for the money. However I wouldn't think it would be good for his application though. First off it is a fixed 10 power, probably not the best idea for hunting ecpecially when your talking about dangerous game. Second is price. I don't understand why but when someone says that $200 is at the very high end of his price range why would suggest a scope that starts at $300? I mean even for the 10x with rear focus that's a third more than he said he is able to spend not including rings and bases. There are plenty of other good choices out there in his price range and quite a few have been mentioned in this thread.

I vote for the Nikon Team Primos, it's a great scope and I really don't think you would need to replace it in the future if you could afford to get some good rings as well. For $199 I find it pretty hard to beat in quality vs price. If that ends up being too much I would go with a 3X9 Nikon Prostaff. It is just as bright as my Super Sniper and holds zero well. I have one on a .17hmr and my dad has one on a .223 and another on a .243. All three have been great scopes.

grubbylabs
March 1, 2010, 04:00 PM
Well I couldn't help it, while I was in Sportsman's on Saturday I bought another scope. It is a Vortex. Any one hear of those, it is supposed to have a life time warranty.

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 04:58 PM
I have been hearing great things about Vortex, I think you made a good choice. Is it a Crossfire or Diamondback?

:)

grubbylabs
March 1, 2010, 05:10 PM
Cross fire.

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 05:19 PM
Not bad. A post-receipt review is expected...with purdy pictures. :D

LEVRLOVR
March 1, 2010, 05:21 PM
And another vote for A Weaver fixed 6x.

grubbylabs
March 1, 2010, 05:39 PM
As soon as I have the rifle in hand and can get some rounds down range I will take pics and post.

Col. Plink
March 1, 2010, 08:13 PM
I'm a bit leary of the 'spend as much as you can on glass' approach, mainly because I think most shooters have enough to make up in accuracy by improving their technique or even their rifle's trigger than quality glass can do. Maybe there are more benchrest-and-sandbag shooters around here than I realize, but it seems better accuracy can be worked on with technique and so-so glass than glass alone. that said, no reason to but something that just flat-out doesn't work. I have have good luck with Centerpoint scopes (which, admittedly, are about half what the OP has to spend so it may not matter in this instance). I suppose if I could justify the cash for a Nikon Prostaff I probably would, though...

bad_aim_billy
March 1, 2010, 08:51 PM
You can get a brand-new Nikon Prostaff for 125 bucks off Ebay. I put one on my XL7 and haven't looked back.

hometheaterman
March 1, 2010, 10:11 PM
I'm a bit leary of the 'spend as much as you can on glass' approach, mainly because I think most shooters have enough to make up in accuracy by improving their technique or even their rifle's trigger than quality glass can do. Maybe there are more benchrest-and-sandbag shooters around here than I realize, but it seems better accuracy can be worked on with technique and so-so glass than glass alone. that said, no reason to but something that just flat-out doesn't work. I have have good luck with Centerpoint scopes (which, admittedly, are about half what the OP has to spend so it may not matter in this instance). I suppose if I could justify the cash for a Nikon Prostaff I probably would, though..I'm leary of this too. Reason being is that I hunt with quite a few guys and honestly most of them use Simmons or Bushnell or other cheaper brand scopes. They all thought I was crazy for buying a Burris because it cost so much more than their scopes. That being said they are all excellent shots and always have no trouble killing their limit in deer yearly. The scopes work fine for them.
For target shooting I have a rifle with a Simmons and I can shoot sub moa groups with it at 100 yards. Now it's not as clear in low light but works fine during the day which is when 100% of my shooting and most everyone's is done. Do I like my Burris better? Yes. However, if on a budget I don't see much of an issue with some of the decent cheaper scopes.

That being said the most expensive scope I own is a Leupold VX-I and it also happens to be the worst scope I've had. It's not very clear and the Simmons appears clearer to me. I had a $30 Tasco and I couldn't tell the difference between that and the Leupold. A few buddies looked and said they thought the Tasco was clearer. The Leupold also had to be sent in for repair 2 times in 2 years while the Tasco worked fine. The Simmons have also worked and to me they do look slightly clearer than the Leupold and they sure seem to hold up better. That being said the Burris blows both away. That's just to show you it's not all what you spend though. More the quality of the actual scope. If I could afford a Burris or something decent it's what I'd go with. However, if not I think there are a lot of cheaper scopes out there that would get the job done for the majority of people out there which are a lot cheaper. I know a lot of shooters and I don't personally know anyone else that uses a Leupold. I knew 2 but both got rid of them after having issues with them. I also am the only one I know with a Burris. Now a few have Weavers, and Redfields(older ones), and decent scopes like that. However, the majority of them have Tasco's, Simmons, or Bushnells and the majority of them don't seem to have the desire or need for anything more.

Yet when you read online people talk like anything under $200 is horrible for everyone. I don't think that's always the case.

WYcoyote
March 1, 2010, 10:44 PM
Under $200
First choice- Vortex Diamondback
Second- Burris Fullfield II
Personally I'd bite the bullet and get a Bushnell Elite 4200 for around $240 and just keep it as the "good" scope.

bogus mcall
March 2, 2010, 08:26 AM
Burris Fullfield II, 3x9x40. I have 4 and love them. Rugged and dependable. Never have had to rezero, even when my rifle fell off the shooting bench. $200.00 or less.

thomis
March 2, 2010, 08:37 AM
PT1911-

Can you tell me where you got your info regarding your claim that Leupold Rifleman scopes are chinese made with the Leupold stamp? I called Leupold customer service and they claim all their scopes are USA Made.

Does anyone know where the Vortex scopes are made?
Bushnell?
Burris?

I could call them too I reckon.

grubbylabs
March 2, 2010, 11:08 AM
I will look at my Vortex stuff again in a few hours when I get out of class and post what I find.

But the shop just called so I think my rifle is in Yea!!!!!

grubbylabs
March 2, 2010, 07:58 PM
The shop I got my rifle from said they are maid in the USA

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 08:10 PM
So...do you have a rifle? If so we need pitchurs. :D

http://i642.photobucket.com/albums/uu141/Maverick223_album/ThreadPitchers.jpg

Maverick223
March 2, 2010, 08:17 PM
Nvm, I see you have posted a new thread about it...nice rifle.

:)

grubbylabs
March 2, 2010, 08:18 PM
Thanks I was just going to post the link for you

Here it is for anyone else http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=509010

If you enjoyed reading about "Now That I have a rifle coming," here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!