Glock 26 vs. Ruger SR9c vs. S&W M&P9c

PDA

chuck pullen
February 25, 2010, 08:29 PM
I am looking to buy a sub-compact (for lack of a better term) 9mm for IWB carry and have so far narrowed my choice down to these three pistols. I own a full size version of each, so I'm familiar with and like each platform. Each has its pros. Here is how I size them up so far:

Glock 26-smallest of the three in every dimension. Glock reliability. Accessories abound. Not the best-looking of the bunch, but I like the way Glocks look. Again, there's that Glock reliability.

Ruger SR9c-largest in every dimension. Questions about barrel peening and lousy trigger due to full size SR9 issues on some guns. My full size has been fine but the trigger does need work. The biggest positives are a great-feeling grip and this, in my opinion, is the best looking of the three.

S&W M&P9c-this one splits the difference between the Glock and the Ruger size-wise in virtually every dimension. Plus, it's a Smith and I've always had VERY good luck with all my Smith and Wessons. Plus their customer service is second to none. The changeable backstraps are a plus. This is the capacity champ, w/ 12 rounds standard. Pretty cool looking too.

The prices on these here are pretty equal. I like them all, but I'm really interested in everyone else's experiences with any of these or just your thoughts. Let me know what you think.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 26 vs. Ruger SR9c vs. S&W M&P9c" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
LawofThirds
February 25, 2010, 08:36 PM
I've been exceedingly happy with my M&P 45c, the crimson trace attachment is pretty awesome as well.

HoosierQ
February 25, 2010, 08:38 PM
S&W 9c. Great ergonomics...great gun.
Glock. Terrible ergonomics...great gun.
SR9c. Good enough ergonomics...untested by time.

chuck pullen
February 25, 2010, 09:44 PM
HoosierQ:

We think alike.

lilidiot
February 25, 2010, 09:57 PM
There just ain't nothing as durable or reliable as the Glock 26 and 19 as far as I am concerned. Anything else is just a untested imitation.

19-3Ben
February 25, 2010, 10:04 PM
Ruger SR9c-largest in every dimension.

Not really. It's the thinnest of the three and thickness is a big part of concealability.

(Don't believe the measurements on websites spec pages. They sometimes have funny ways of measuring. They measure the Ruger across the safety which is the widest point of the gun. But the rest of the gun is notably thinner.)

chuck pullen
February 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
19-3Ben:

I've noticed that as well. Do you know the grip width, not counting the safety levers ?

KAK
February 25, 2010, 10:14 PM
Glock.

then Ruger.

then Hi-point :D

then S&W :barf:

RobMoore
February 25, 2010, 10:20 PM
^ Any other order than what he said

BlayGlock
February 25, 2010, 10:22 PM
http://www.ghostinc.com/c=FeFs5KRFEdNVywxj1PkM5f7MT/

These guys seem to think that the Ruger is the "heir apparent" to the Glock. I find that interesting. That said, if the G26 fits your hand that would be my vote. The tennifer finish is better than the melonite from my personal experience. The G26 will be easier to work on and has more aftermarket support.

I have never shot the Ruger so I have no opinion.

distra
February 25, 2010, 10:43 PM
M&P9c is a great little gun. Nothing wrong with the 26, but I chose the 9c.

easyg
February 26, 2010, 12:03 AM
The Glock 26 is practically a modern classic when it comes to sub-compact autos.
It has a well proven track record....unlike the other two contenders.

Plus there are tons of holsters and accessories easily available for the Glock.

NG VI
February 26, 2010, 06:05 AM
I've got a 27, it is, alongside my FNP-9M, my favorite gun.

I will always take Glock when it comes to subcompacts. That 'un-ergonomic' grip socks itself into a man's hand perfectly, and it shoots better than any other size of Glock, it has a great trigger, and is easy to work on. And the finish is unbeatable, except for looks.

Mastifflover
February 26, 2010, 07:16 AM
Glock 26. For some reason the subcompact Glocks fit my hand great. Super reliable and in the odd case something does break, the replacement parts is usually less than $10 and if you can assemble a toy for your kids you can work on a Glock.

19-3Ben
February 26, 2010, 07:29 AM
19-3Ben:

I've noticed that as well. Do you know the grip width, not counting the safety levers ?

According to gunblast, it's .92 across the slide (grip would be approx the same.)

Kingofthehill
February 26, 2010, 09:05 AM
I prefer the M&P compacts over the Glock compacts but thats just me.

the M&P is just smooth.

JOe

19-3Ben
February 26, 2010, 09:25 AM
Agreed on the M&P.

Smooth. Feels natural. Extremely reliable. Super accurate. Unusually low recoil for some reason.

Sauceweed
February 26, 2010, 03:38 PM
You know what you are getting with the Glock. The S&W is very nice but still new to the market.

Quoheleth
February 26, 2010, 03:49 PM
19-3Ben is correct. I held three compact guns yesterday morning: the M&P9, the XD9sc and SR9c. The SR9c has the thinnest slide. The frame is just slightly thicker than the slide, so the 1.2" width is across the safety tabs. Even at that, it is thinner than the M&P across the frame. The SR9c is almost exactly the same OAL as the M&P9. The heighth of the M&P and SR9c are almost equal. I didn't put the extended mags in to compare them. The XD9sc is slightly shorter OAL, IIRC, but width is greater than M&P and SR9c. I'm not a Glock man so didn't even look at the -26.

IMHO, the SR9c trigger is pretty nice. It feels a bit heavy, but it breaks cleanly. I didn't feel any grit as has been reported in the full-size SR9 trigger. They got this fixed, finally. The XD trigger also breaks clean, and is a little lighter. I think the M&P has a "smooshy" trigger and just don't care for it that much.

Q

DERGLOCKINMEISTER
February 26, 2010, 04:01 PM
I have many different brands of handguns in my safe , I count on only one for my protection and that of the people in my life . When it absolutely has to go bang everytime you pull the trigger...... count on a GLOCK .

JAV8000
February 26, 2010, 04:38 PM
Glock 9mm's are unbeatable, if you're willing to master the operating characteristics and can manage the ergonomics. I've handled the m&p and they feel, and look, sweet. That said, I wasnt impressed with the trigger.
It just wasn't built like a glock (block:rolleyes:).
I don't have any experiane with the Ruger. My Ruger products are all based on old tech that's been refined (gp100, 581 mini14, p90). A plastic ruger just seems odd to me, though it seems the growing pains have been worked out. Again, not built like a glock.

I find it easy to bet my bacon on a glock. I don't say that for many autos, especialy compact ones.

jon_in_wv
February 26, 2010, 05:06 PM
Wow am I tired of the "Glocks are time proven and nothing else is so its better" blah , blah, blah. Smith revolvers, 1911s, etc....have been around a lot longer. How did you guys ever pick up a Glock when it was "unproven"?? I WOULD wait a year or so to see how the Rugers shake out but the M&Ps and Glocks are just fine. Pick your preference on the two. They are too similar to knock one over the other. The M&P fits my hand better and I shoot it better than the Glock and I have "time tested" mine with over 5000 rounds and it works just fine. I wouldn't feel the least bit bad if I had to carry a G26 either.

StephenT
February 26, 2010, 05:44 PM
It's nice to hear that the SR9C has a decent trigger, meaning that Ruger has responded to customer complaints about the lousy SR9 trigger (at least mine was). I traded my SR9 because I couldn't stand the trigger. I'm going to have to take a look at the compact model at the gun show tomorrow....

bds
February 26, 2010, 06:32 PM
If you want an actual comparison, try shooting the three guns (wonder why SA XD was left out) using the same ammunition/multiple targets/staging in both slow aimed and rapid/multiple shots.

We have done several full size/compact/subcompact comparison shootings at different ranges. I do like the ergonomics/grip of M&P better, but usually get the fastest time, most accurate/smallest groups out of Glocks.

Maybe you can round up the guns from different shooters and arrange a comparison shoot.

Disclaimer: I used pearce grip extensions for 3 finger grip on G26. YMMV

JLaScala
February 27, 2010, 12:34 PM
I know it wasn't one of your listed choices, but you should consider the Springfield XDsc or XDM3.8. I would definately put it ahead of the Ruger, and on par with the Glock and S&W. I have 1000rnds through mine without a single hiccup, and accurate. My friends SR9 while a good quality firearm seemed to have excessive recoil for a 9mm, and left a little to be desired in the accuracy department.

chuck pullen
March 2, 2010, 07:06 PM
After handling and considering all 3, I went ahead and got the Glock 26. Any suggestions on a thin kydex IWB holster ?

NG VI
March 2, 2010, 07:16 PM
FIST #1AK, it looks like buttvomit but it works soooo well and is soooo thin.

stchman
March 2, 2010, 07:39 PM
The SR9c is not a direct competitor to the G26 but the G19. The G19 is a 9mm compact and the G26 is a 9mm sub compact. The SR9c is a 9mm compact.

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 10:21 PM
Fobus.

NG VI
March 2, 2010, 10:51 PM
Fobus? Are you kidding? The only Fobus holsters I have ever seen were oversized, thick, belt carry holsters, I don't believe they were Kydex either, not thin at all, or IWB.

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 11:00 PM
Like I said Fobus

Look again my skeptical friend:

http://www.fobusholster.com/catalog/Inside_Waistband_Holsters-51-1.html

Just wait till you try it.......:D

Autolycus
March 2, 2010, 11:53 PM
I would suggest changing the trigger on your Glock 26 to a smooth faced trigger like on the Glock 17. It was annoying for me and less enjoyable for me to shoot the Glock 26 with it so I replaced it and it is now a joy to shoot. You can buy parts at Glockmeister.com and change them out yourself with a Glock armorers tool which costs $10 or so.

The Glock is a great gun and you can tinker with it because it is such a simple design. I love it and I suspect you will to.

NG VI
March 3, 2010, 01:43 AM
Weird, never seen anything but the "classic" line of Fobus holsters, though I'd still pick the #1AK over any other holster available.

The Lone Haranguer
March 3, 2010, 01:50 AM
I've only owned the mini-Glock and the M&P, no experience with the Ruger. Although a little larger than the Glock - and therefore may not fit into some places that the Glock would - the M&P compact has superior hand fit and recoil control, even with the flat-base magazine.

NG VI
March 3, 2010, 02:07 AM
Yeah on both my Glocks (a 23 and a 27) I changed out the serrated triggers for smoothface triggers and also used a half-round file to make the safety bar more contoured to the face of th trigger. Gun doubled in awesome in a few minutes.

ntg
March 10, 2010, 03:51 PM
I've shot a SR9c and I own the XD9sc. The SR9c will be easier to conceal. It shot well. They've improved the trigger from what the old SR9s had. Is it a great trigger, no. It's decent and may be fairly good once broken in. The SR9c I shot was less they 200 rds new. I like how you feel the reset on its trigger. My XD9sc you bairly feel anything. However, I love my XD9sc and still feel its a better trigger, plus 13rds in a compact is hard to beat. My 2 cents.

mordechaianiliewicz
March 10, 2010, 04:19 PM
I like the Glock or the Ruger most myself.

legion3
March 10, 2010, 05:26 PM
One thing a Glock 26 can do the other can't,

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x49/roman3/IMG_5058.jpg

Of course it makes concealment difficult!

jon_in_wv
March 10, 2010, 05:36 PM
Other than the availability of a 30 round mag there is nothing mechanically stopping either the SR9C or the M&P from using the higher capacity mag. My M&P 9C works perfectly withe the 17 round mags of the full size. Once again, a GLock fan telling everyone that only Glocks can do something that other guns can do too.

NinjaFeint
March 10, 2010, 06:20 PM
Other than the availability of a 30 round mag there is nothing mechanically stopping either the SR9C or the M&P from using the higher capacity mag. My M&P 9C works perfectly withe the 17 round mags of the full size. Once again, a GLock fan telling everyone that only Glocks can do something that other guns can do too.
Easy there big guy, it'll be ok.

People generally fans of what they own and a lot of people own Glocks.

legion3
March 10, 2010, 07:40 PM
Other than the availability of a 30 round mag

Well that's why they can't do it. Eventually I guess promag or ramline will make a 30 round mag for one or the other...maybe.

And its a 33 round factory mag, not a 30. ;)

wild cat mccane
March 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
P99c. AS 9mm.

There is a 30 round mag for it too. :) just to be fair

Autolycus
March 10, 2010, 07:55 PM
I think he meant use a 33 round magazine, not use the magazines of its larger brother.

legion3
March 10, 2010, 08:02 PM
P99c. AS 9mm.

There is a 30 round mag for it too. just to be fair

Is there a factory mag? Does MecGar make walther mags?

I know that National Magazine company makes one, how does it work?

http://www.waltherpistols.com/item/72676_National_Magazines_Inc_High_Capacity_Magazine_NATMAG_P30-0074_WALT_P99_.aspx

http://www.gearstuff.com/national-magazine-round-black-walther-p999mm-p-65564.html

Full Metal Jacket
March 10, 2010, 08:19 PM
glock or m&p is good to go.

wild cat mccane
March 10, 2010, 08:23 PM
National. Works okay. No issue. What the purpose of these mags are... :)

HK and Walther both use Mec don't they? They get stamped together....

MattDFW
March 10, 2010, 08:26 PM
You should be happy with your Glock 26. I recently traded my S&W MP9c for a Glock 26. Two trips back to S&W for repairs was enough for me. First time for a rusting slide. Second time was for failure to extract issues. I should have stayed with Glock. My Glock 19 has been 100% with nearly 5000 rounds through it.

jon_in_wv
March 10, 2010, 10:08 PM
Wow, Glocks can take a 33 round mag in a concealment pistol. That seals it. It IS better. You guys are SO smart.

Easy there big guy, it'll be ok.

People generally fans of what they own and a lot of people own Glocks.

No kidding. And I'm a fan of the M&P but I don't make claims that it will do things that other guns CAN'T. That is what I was addressing. How you concluded my statement implied that I didn't know that a lot of people own Glocks and are fans of what they own is beyond me.

Volfy
March 10, 2010, 11:39 PM
33rd mag in a subcompact concealment pistol is like a 100gal fuel tank on a Mini Cooper... fantastic to the point of being absurd.

No offense, but when I hear in the news about 30+rd mags being used in a pistol, it is usually by somebody who's bent on going to hell, and tried his best to drag a whole bunch of innocent poeple along with him.

NinjaFeint
March 11, 2010, 12:20 AM
Wow, Glocks can take a 33 round mag in a concealment pistol. That seals it. It IS better. You guys are SO smart.

Wow...This is awesome.

No kidding. And I'm a fan of the M&P but I don't make claims that it will do things that other guns CAN'T. That is what I was addressing. How you concluded my statement implied that I didn't know that a lot of people own Glocks and are fans of what they own is beyond me.

You might want to sit this one out. You are taking this way too personally.

Also, your gun can't take a 33 factory mag because none is offered. People who own Glock's (me included) think it's pretty cool and realize it is not practical in a concealment pistol.

I apologize on behalf of Glock owners for liking our pistol better than the ones we chose it over. Also, on behalf of Coca-Cola drinkers for liking it better than Pepsi, PS3 owners for liking it better than Xbox360 and Droid owners for liking it better than the IPhone.

legion3
March 11, 2010, 05:19 AM
33rd mag in a subcompact concealment pistol is like a 100gal fuel tank on a Mini Cooper... fantastic to the point of being absurd.

No offense, but when I hear in the news about 30+rd mags being used in a pistol, it is usually by somebody who's bent on going to hell, and tried his best to drag a whole bunch of innocent poeple along with him.

WOW...I never thought about it like that (bet no one else has either)!

:what: Guess I should get rid of them...mmmm maybe not :uhoh:

legion3
March 11, 2010, 05:23 AM
HK and Walther both use Mec don't they? They get stamped together....

They probably do, Mec Gar's are high quality mags who make many "factory" mags for many companies. And make better than factory replacements for many guns as well. An excellent European company.

National I have had no real experience with and probably won't. Just was asking.

Full Metal Jacket
March 11, 2010, 01:19 PM

sorry to shatter your perception of reality, but i use a 33round mag in my glock 19 for home defense. it most likely negates the need to reload.

i'm not "bent on going to hell", or trying to hurt any innocent folks.

i just like to have the tactical edge against someone who is threatening my life.

Volfy
March 11, 2010, 07:07 PM
Hey, don't get me wrong. I don't think there is anything wrong with owning 30+rd pistol mags. They are available for several different handguns (BHP, CZ75, etc.). I personally don't see the need for one for handguns, but hey... more power to you if you do.

I don't see it as a tactical advantage for HD, or any proper use of a handgun for that matter. If I'm attacked at home with that many threats such that I need more than the typically 15-17rd hi-cap mag before reload, I chose the wrong weapon. Either a carbine or AR would be a far better bet in that scenario.

Didn't Glock make the 33rd mag mostly for their selective-fire pistol?

What I find absurd is NOT the 33rd mag itself. It is the fact that the 33rd mag is touted as an advantage for one mfr's subcompact pistol over other makes, all of which are marketed primarily for LEO backup or citizen CCW.

Volfy
March 11, 2010, 07:13 PM
They probably do, Mec Gar's are high quality mags who make many "factory" mags for many companies. And make better than factory replacements for many guns as well. An excellent European company.

National I have had no real experience with and probably won't. Just was asking.
I bought a National for CZ-75 from Cabela's once. Promptly returned it. I have never seen a worse quality (fit and finish) mag anywhere. National makes Pro-mag look like Rolex watches.

Ben86
March 11, 2010, 07:44 PM
Out of the three you have listed I would go with the S&W M&P for accuracy alone. I had a M&PC9 (sold it just because I accidently bought one with the mag disconnect, plan to buy another) and its accuracy was astounding. I could easily keep all 12 rounds from a magazine between the eyes at 10 yards. That is fantastic for a subcompact. Add to that the great ergos, and reliablity. It might actually be the thinnest of the three you have mentioned as well. I know its thinner than the glock.

As a side note I have switched completely to single stack for CC because I have decided that double stack just doesn't fit in my pants because I don't like buying 2 or more sizes bigger. :) So its Taurus 709 and lcp for me.

230therapy
March 11, 2010, 07:56 PM
Glock 26 advantages: Ergos are fine, somewhat tunable trigger, excellent reliability, lots of parts and gear available. No gun smith required; just a manual and low cost parts.

M&P 9c advantages: Completely tunable trigger. Short history; not sure about parts availability. Gear is available.

Ruger SR9c: Awful trigger. No history. No parts. No accessories. No trigger work. Recall on previous version.

The choice is obvious: either the G26 or the M&P. Rent both and buy the one you shoot best.

Cpt. America
March 11, 2010, 08:35 PM
I vote for the Ruger SR9c. I just got the SR9 full frame and so far so good.

jkulysses
April 10, 2010, 07:12 AM
I've also been considering the SR9c the last couple weeks. Been reading as much as I can about them and I've got it down to the Ruger or the Glock 26 but I haven't found one in a store yet to even hold the Ruger. I've always been a Ruger fan and like to support American made products as much as possible but the Glock has a lot of appeal one being the availability of accessories and parts. As I'm preaching about buying american I realize I just bought a new Rossi snub nose revolver less than 24 hours ago lol. Sometimes a good deal makes me change my mind I guess.

HOWARD J
April 10, 2010, 11:06 AM
I carry a glock 26 in the wintertime--
Carry a Kel-Tec P3-AT in summer.
Stay safe.........................................:)

ohwell
April 10, 2010, 11:16 PM
I have an SR9C trigger is very good slide is slimmer than a glock otherwise the guns are about the same size I bought a Bianchi Glock 26 holster to carry mine in. Clean the trigger group and slide with trilube or breakfree before first use and you'll love the SR9C.

Kingofthehill
April 11, 2010, 12:53 AM

Yeah, im one hell bent individual. You caught me.

You are painting with a pretty wide brush there buddy. I happen to get a big ol' smile when i have 2 glock 19's and 66rds of ammo double fisting shooting at plastic bottles.

Watch out!...

OH, and can you point any of us to one of these Hell bent individuals bringing as many innocent people to hell with him? Since you know of them, it should be easy i would think.

and these are mine by the way and they have taken no lives and never will because they are just Objects.

http://i45.tinypic.com/29dfhjt.jpg

lions
April 11, 2010, 10:54 AM
Just be careful KOTH, everyone know it is the reloading one or two more times that keeps us from losing our minds and going on a rampage.

Maybe that is because the news has no interest in covering law-abiding citizens doing legal activities.

Zerodefect
April 11, 2010, 11:03 AM
Glock 26

Hands down the best double stack 9mm subcompact. Easy to tune trigger, cheap parts, easy to change sights. Full size magazine compatability. Easy to shoot, good speed, cheap feeling but effective stock trigger.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glock 26 vs. Ruger SR9c vs. S&W M&P9c" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!