Trick to setting the expanding die.

PDA

Victor1Echo
February 25, 2010, 10:08 PM
I am reloading for a 32s&wlong. This is my first time reloading and I am having trouble adjusting the bell of the case. It is eiter not enough or too much. I follow the instructions but I cannot get it right. I am going to try again--so any tips?
Thanks in advance.

If you enjoyed reading about "Trick to setting the expanding die." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
thorn-
February 25, 2010, 10:12 PM
What press? Is it a separate expander die, or integrated into the powder measure?

thorn

loadedround
February 25, 2010, 10:30 PM
My suggestion would be to take your expander die and raise the expander plug stem and allow the sized case to comlpetely enter the die as far as it will go and hold it there. Slowly lower your expander stem until it makes contact with the case mouth and proceed turn it in no more than a half turn at a time until you get the proper belling. The proper belling is when the lead or jacketed bullet will just start into the case. Lock your adjustment nut and your die at that point and you're done. Remember you don't have to bell a case to look like a funnel, just enough to start the bullet. It's rather simple once you get the hang of it.

JDGray
February 25, 2010, 10:56 PM
^^^^What he said^^^^

Less is best, and your brass will last longer:) Having your brass trimmed to the same length, will also help.

Drail
February 26, 2010, 10:09 AM
Look into the Lyman M step expander die. It will not allow over expansion and case life is greatly extended. (it may not be available in .32 though) Trimming all cases to a consistent length is a huge help also.

Scrapperz
February 26, 2010, 10:36 AM
Look into the Lyman M step expander die. It will not allow over expansion and case life is greatly extended. (it may not be available in .32 though) Trimming all cases to a consistent length is a huge help also.

They should make this caliber.....I use the universal (comes w/ interchangeable inserts) Lyman powder through die for all my loading, 460 Mag, 454 Casull, 45 Colt, 40 S&W, 9mm Luger.

Victor1Echo
February 26, 2010, 11:46 AM
I am using a Lee classic press, and a seperate expander die. They ended up looking like funnels.
Question 2
Should you be able to push the bullet into case with your thumb after reloading? I made some adjustments, but I could then push the bullet down into the case. Assume this still too much of a bell?

Scrapperz
February 26, 2010, 11:55 AM
I don't think you should be able to push the bullet in with your thumb,(depending how strong you are). Are you loading for an semi-auto pistol? If so you do not want to be able to just easily push this bullet in the case.

Are you using lead bullets?

243winxb
February 26, 2010, 12:52 PM
Case length is important, set up the die using the shortest case of the lot. Powder through expander die adjustment

The quickest and most accurate way to set this die is to put the shell holder or shell plate at the top of the stroke and turn the die in until the bottom of it touches the shell holder or shell plate. At that point, back it out a half turn which should set the die to begin giving you the proper flare to the case mouth.

It is important that when attaching a powder measure to the die, that it be tightened so that the expander plug cannot move up into the die defeating the purpose of setting it in this fashion.

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi Should you be able to push the bullet into case with your thumb after reloading? I made some adjustments, but I could then push the bullet down into the case. No , makes sure your FLRS die is sizing correctly. Also measure you expander, it should be .002" or more under bullet diameter.

mongoose33
February 26, 2010, 01:31 PM
What Win243XB said.

Cases are not all the same length; a shorter one won't bell as much as a longer one.

That may be your problem right there.

zxcvbob
February 26, 2010, 01:57 PM
Put a fired, unsized case under the expanding die, and lower the die until it is snug against the case mouth. Tighten it another 1/4 turn for good luck. This should be really close to the right adjustment. If you're using the Lee "universal" case expanding die, first try it without the extra 1/4 turn.

rcmodel
February 26, 2010, 02:12 PM
In any case, you should never be able to push the bullet all the way in the case with finger pressure.

Follow 243winxb's advice and insure your sizing die is sizing below bullet diameter.
And that your expander is .002" - .003" smaller then bullet diameter.

If it isn't, make it so with a strip of emery paper and an electric drill spinning it.

rc

If you enjoyed reading about "Trick to setting the expanding die." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!