M1A magazine loading problems.

PDA

Almond27
February 26, 2010, 12:42 AM
Hi,I am having serious trouble inserting the twenty round magazines in my rifle I've tried both I have and I can't get the magazine in period. I know at least one of them worked before I field stripped the rifle. Now I can't get either to work and I'm almost 99 percent positive I have my trigger group back in properly. Because I lined the groove in the trigger group with the groove on the inside of the rifle goes right in and the trigger group latches down. sounds like everything is working properly when I dry fire. The mags are unloaded when I attempt to load them, should I try to put a few rounds in them? Both of the mags are a grey looking finish with no marking at all. The one that came with the rifle was in it when I bought it so it fit at one time. It has me stumped and yes I've double and triple checked I'm putting in the mag properly. I feel like a fool this is the first rifle that has ever stumped me like this before. When I tilt the mag in the front and try to get the cut out square into what looks to be the latch it will not go all the way up. I forced one in there and had to yank with force it back out. Thanks for all your suggestions I'm new to the M1A and my dad hasn't touched one since 64 he laughed and said I can try and help ya but haven't had a chance to make it to his house yet.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A magazine loading problems." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Almond27
February 26, 2010, 01:01 AM
Anyone have a guess?

mljdeckard
February 26, 2010, 01:06 AM
Hmmm. It's tough to say without looking at it personally. I will recommend DON'T FORCE ANYTHING, and get it to a shop that sells and services them. Likely something silly, but better than breaking it.

cottonmouth
February 26, 2010, 01:15 AM
Try it with the bolt locked to the rear.

J.B.

Birddog1911
February 26, 2010, 01:29 AM
Post some detailed pictures of the magazines. While I have no issue with inserting a fully loaded USGI mag in my rifle, something is up with yours. I suspect not USGI, but hard to say for sure. Try with just 18 rounds, as many folks do this thinking that it is better for the magazine, and makes seating the mag easier.

longdayjake
February 26, 2010, 01:35 AM
Mine were difficult at first as well. Are you rocking it front to back correctly or trying to stick it straight in like an ar15?

Almond27
February 26, 2010, 01:38 AM
I had a fella I knew on another board tell me to disassemble the rifle then put it back together. I did that, one mag works but the other one is still not working. I'm throwing the one mag in the junk pile I'm assuming its one of the grey chinese lookalike USGI mags since it has no marking at all. The original mag that came with the rifle is the one that is working but it doesnt have any marking either.

Z-Michigan
February 26, 2010, 08:50 AM
I find the M1A to require a very special and finicky technique to get mags in. I generally start them into the magwell vertically until they are about 1/4" to 1/2" from the fully seated position, then I angle the bottom of the mag forward to get the angle needed to engage the front lug, push up while angling until that lug clicks in, then rock back to get the rear lug clicked.

When I first got an M1A I had tons of trouble getting mags inserted, like you describe. It was all in my technique. Now with a lot of practice it's generally quick and easy. I do not find it anywhere near as simple as the rock n' lock mags on an AKM, FAL, or Mini-14.

Al LaVodka
February 26, 2010, 09:34 AM
+1
Al

loadedround
February 26, 2010, 10:26 AM
Almond27: Are you aware that you can insert an empty magazine in place and load your M1A with ten round stripper clips thru the top just like the old Springfield 03's. However if you removed the clip guide and/or mounted a scope, this loading mehod won't work. Ten round stripper clips are available on the net and are fairly cheap. Much easier to load your rifle this way and you don't have to remove and insert mags.

Almond27
February 26, 2010, 02:57 PM
Loaded, I hadn't really thought about that before I've got 10 round stripper clips I haven't used for years I might use this method. I also want to get the hang of inserting mags, I'd hate to have a $1300 rifle and couldn't insert the mags lol.

nbkky71
February 26, 2010, 04:30 PM
When you re-assembled the rifle, did you put in the spring guide upside down?

Ronsch
February 26, 2010, 04:44 PM
Mine rock right in. I used to have trouble with some of the after market mags, so I have been sticking with the USGI only. A little more expensive, but never have problems.

Sheepdog1968
February 26, 2010, 06:10 PM
If everything was working fine before you disassembeled then you must have put together not quite right. I would take it apart and reassemble. If a wood stock, it's possible the stock has changed dimensions with a weather change. Synthetic stocks are more stable. If reassembly doesn't work, I'd take it to a local smith after trying several magainzes. If the problem existed before you took it apart or was difficult before, the dimensions may be off. I know of one friend who's receiver was so tight he could barely remove an inserted magainze. It was like this from the factory. The local smith couldn't fix it so he sent it back to Springfield and they fixed the receiver as it was out of dimension.

If you enjoyed reading about "M1A magazine loading problems." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!