Where does the Brady Campaign get its money?

PDA

Golden_006
February 26, 2010, 10:01 AM
Is this really a grass roots organization? I know some elitist mucky muck like a Soros is behind it no? I went to their website and am offended and disgusted. Further I can't believe there are still some Federal courts ruling the same way they always have even after Heller pretty much ascertained that the 2A is for self-defense purposes.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where does the Brady Campaign get its money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TexasRifleman
February 26, 2010, 10:23 AM
Google something called "Annenberg Foundation". Several hundred thousand a year comes from there.

No, they are not "grass roots". They do list some individual contributions but those are smallish numbers.

Avizpls
February 26, 2010, 10:24 AM
me! hahaha

Trebor
February 26, 2010, 12:37 PM
I believe the Joyce Foundation is one of their biggest supporters. Google 'em up for more info.

Nico Testosteros
February 26, 2010, 12:48 PM
The Annenbergs were great friends of the Reagans.

Edit: I guess James Brady was a buddy of Reagan's also.

alohachris
February 26, 2010, 01:06 PM
The ironic part is that the Brady Campaign is obsessed with carbines, riflles and certain types of ammunition that they brand as "assault-type" when, if I recall my history correctly, both Regan and Brady were shot with a .22 caliber, 6-shot revolver.

glockmon
February 26, 2010, 01:36 PM
Our Government gives a bunch to both Pro and Anti Gun Lobbies.

TexasRifleman
February 26, 2010, 01:46 PM
The ironic part is that the Brady Campaign is obsessed with carbines, riflles and certain types of ammunition that they brand as "assault-type" when, if I recall my history correctly, both Regan and Brady were shot with a .22 caliber, 6-shot revolver.

Incrementalism. They started out as "National Council to Control Handguns" in 1974. Then they became "Handgun Control Inc" and realized that they would never get handguns banned so they changed again to "Brady Campaign to Control Gun Violence".

So, they made a move to try to demonize a subset of gun owners and get us to infight about whether or not AR15s are hunting rifles. While we griped among ourselves they felt they could come in with sweeping legislation. Didn't work out, but that was their thinking.

That's why it's important not to get into that whole thing about what type of guns are good for what. Just doesn't matter.

devildog32713
February 26, 2010, 01:56 PM
The Joyce foundation has these signs that goes into your window, and it says "We call Police". Think about that for a second, If I was a crook, that is a big billboard saying "Come and rob, steal, kidnap from this house! We are 100% defenseless!!!"

http://http://www.joycefdn.org/Programs/GunViolence/ViewSubProgram.aspx?SubProgId=14

Check out that kid in the window, I feel so sorry for him. This website is full of lies, wanna say something else, but I'm doing my best to comply with the Gramaw rule.

ilikepancakes
February 26, 2010, 02:54 PM
Just visited the Campaign site. In addition to violating 2nd it also violates just about every rule of effective website design. I'm surprised people who struggle with the concept of a barrel shroud can even navigate this thing.

FROGO207
February 26, 2010, 10:26 PM
Don't be surprised if the BG type willingly give some of their illegal gains to the anti gun movement.:banghead::cuss:

Texas Gun Person
February 26, 2010, 10:29 PM
From a lot of companies that don't really announce that they are giving money to anti's because they are scared they will lose money.

oneounceload
February 26, 2010, 11:03 PM
Don't forget George Soros, Bloomberg, and most college "literati", along with soccer moms too dumb to know better, and many other groups bent on a "one world order"

Elvishead
February 27, 2010, 01:43 AM
NV has a Brady tax of $25 per handgun sold. So, I've given about $300 to the Brady Bunch.

Chuckleberry
February 27, 2010, 02:06 AM
Elvishead -- if you haven't left the building, could you elaborate on the NV tax? Not saying you're wrong, just curious. Seems like it would be illegal the govt to take money and give it to a campaign like this.

lykoris
February 27, 2010, 12:51 PM
The Brady Campaign are low down, the real powerhouse is IANSA and they are funded by the following according to their website

IANSA’s work has been supported by funders including
the Governments of UK, Belgium, Sweden and Norway, as well as
the Ford Foundation,
Rockefeller Foundation,
Compton Foundation,
Ploughshares Fund,
John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation,
Open Society Institute,
Samuel Rubin Foundation
and Christian Aid.

There are a number of errors on their main web page document - laws on civilian ownership of handguns in 16 countries. But then since when has the truth been adhered to in transmiting their message. :p

http://www.iansa.org/

marv
February 28, 2010, 01:37 AM
FWIW I think donations to hci are tax deductible while donations to NRA are not. Can you say double standard?

ants
February 28, 2010, 03:15 AM
NV has a Brady tax of $25 per handgun sold. So, I've given about $300 to the Brady Bunch.

NO. The $25 is the Highway Patrol's fee for running the NICS background check.

The background check is frustrating called the Brady check, but it's certainly not a check written to the Brady committee. Nevada is one of the most gun friendly states in the nation. Four of our five members of Congress are gun owners: Titus, Reed, Ensign and Heller. Only Shelley Berkeley is a non-gun owner.

-eaux-
February 28, 2010, 03:24 AM
they deduct it from my paycheck.
same as the rest of the "save me from myself" folks who need funding to convince me that i am not competent to swing a hammer, let alone own a firearm. i'm just glad they are there to alot my earnings to feed those who elect not to work. gosh, otherwise i might have enough left at the end of the week to buy groceries for my kids.

71Commander
February 28, 2010, 08:22 AM
FWIW I think donations to hci are tax deductible while donations to NRA are not. Can you say double standard?

It's a good thing. The NRA and the NRA-ILA doesn't need Gov't regulators looking over their shoulders.

navyretired 1
February 28, 2010, 07:53 PM
Ants- What does Harry Reed owning a handgun have to do with him being anti-gun and anti-fed land use and anti-anything for normal folks but rich elitist can do. Harry reed was a _ick when he was an autorney in Vegas and he's a bigger D-ck since he went to Washington.

enbloc 1953
February 28, 2010, 07:55 PM
Brady bill suporters are the usual suspects..... Liberals, mostly the likes of George Soros.

TexasRifleman
February 28, 2010, 08:54 PM

Nah, no double standard, just stupid tax codes.

They are treated just like NRA and other groups. Depends upder what portion of the tax code the group organizes.

There are different Brady groups, same as there are different NRA groups.

Brady Campaign is the lobbying group and is not tax deductible, Brady Center is the tax deductible charity. They claim to be a legal charity mainly, representing victims of "guns" in court, whatever that means.

NRA's charitable organization is called the "NRA Foundation". It mainly promotes the shooting sports, gun safety, and hunting activities. Donations to that are tax deductible.

35wailen
February 28, 2010, 11:15 PM
The good part about the recession is that the gun ban groups have seen their funding cut. Meanwhile, NRA/GOA/SAF have seen obama related donations INCREASE-hence the successes we're seeing :evil::cool:.

The simple way to put it is that the gun ban groups get their $$ from the establishment, which the pro gun groups get their $$ from the PEOPLE.

Jonah71
March 1, 2010, 12:59 PM
ACORN may have helped them a bit too. One of the sleeziest organizations in the Nation's history.

Trebor
March 6, 2010, 05:22 AM
"One Eyed Fat Man" posted this info on VPC and Brady over at, of all places, Democratic Underground! Good info:

Quote:
12. VPC, aka Brady, aka HCI, and Joyce Foundation
Edited on Mon Mar-01-10 10:58 AM by one-eyed fat man

As long as the Joyce Foundation keeps funneling money to Helmke they will stay afloat.

One way to determine if an organization has true public support is to see if they garner a certain amount of membership dues. For example, if an organizationís total annual revenues is $1 million and $750,000 of that came from membership dues, then one can reasonably conclude that since dues represent 75% of revenue,the organization represents part of the public. Further, if annual dues are $25, then the organization has about 30,000 members. Such organizations exist to enable groups of like-minded individuals of average wealth to pool their resources, in order to create greater influence with policy makers; a democratic aspect of our First Amendment rights.

Philanthropic Research has a web site named GuideStar, which contains tax returns for many non-profit organizations.A basic (free) member of GuideStar can access the 2003-2005 tax returns of Violence Policy Center. Examining these tax one can see a couple of interesting trends.

Allowing that public support could be partly defined by evidence of membership dues being paid to an organization that claims to promote beneficial public policies. It is telling to note Violence Policy Centerís tax returns as far back as the year 2000 have reported $0 in membership dues.The bulk of their money has ALWAYS come from the Joyce Foundation.

In 2003, VPC reported $1,671,595 in total revenues. The seven top employees, including Executive Director Josh Sugarman and Legislative Director Kristen Rand, earned $654,514, or 39.2% of total revenue.

Joyce Foundation 2010 VPC Grant
http://www.joycefdn.org/GrantList/GrantDetails.aspx?grantId=32325

Looks like the recession is going to affect the Brady bunch too.

If you enjoyed reading about "Where does the Brady Campaign get its money?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!