Glenn Beck and 2A

PDA

84B20
February 26, 2010, 06:44 PM
There is a very interesting discussion on the 2nd Amendment going on right now on the Glenn Beck program. If you haven't tuned in, it will be repeated over the weekend, at least on Directv.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glenn Beck and 2A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
CoRoMo
February 26, 2010, 06:47 PM
I'll listen as it come on later, but be warned, there are plenty of members here who will probably take this topic off into the vitriolic weeds. Some people love guns and the 2nd Amendment, but hate the people passing out the information that protects it.

84B20
February 26, 2010, 06:53 PM
I'll listen as it come on later, but be warned, there are plenty of members here who will probably take this topic off into the vitriolic weeds.

So be it. Anyone that disagrees with our right to bear arms as defined by the 2nd Amendment probably won't be comfortable here anyway. I'll fall short of saying they shouldn't be here anyway because anyone has that right.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 06:57 PM
Glenn Beck only became "pro gun" in the last year or two. He's putting on an act for the fox "news" crowd. He had no guns until recently if I recall correctly.

61chalk
February 26, 2010, 07:01 PM
Here we go...love the message but hate the messanger...CoRoMo has been around THR long enough that he's a THR prophet....an nailed it.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
Well if bill clinton or giuliani started talking the pro gun talk, would you just ignore the hypocrisy and duplicity of the messenger?

84B20
February 26, 2010, 07:03 PM
Glenn Beck only became "pro gun" in the last year or two. He's putting on an act for the fox "news" crowd. He had no guns until recently if I recall correctly.

So what. I have only owned and AR for about 3 months. Does that mean I was against black rifles before that? I really don't want to get into a discussion about Glenn Beck. I just wanted to point out the discussion about the 2nd Amendment. Anytime there is positive, at least in my interpretation of it, talk about 2A it's a good thing.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:05 PM
So what. I have only owned and AR for about 3 months. Does that mean I was against black rifles before that? I really don't want to get into a discussion about Glenn Beck. I just wanted to point out the discussion about the 2nd Amendment. Anytime there is positive, at least in my interpretation of it, talk about 2A it's a good thing.So beck is having a "discussion." What is there to discuss? The 2nd amendment says what it says and the antis hate it. Having a discussion only gives air time to the liars. Is beck specifically pushing the TRUTH in these vaunted discussions or is he letting the antis get a free pulpit (in the interest of equal time of course)?

84B20
February 26, 2010, 07:10 PM
So beck is having a "discussion." What is there to discuss? The 2nd amendment says what it says. Is beck pushing the TRUTH in these vaunted discussions or is he letting the antis get a free pulpit (in the interest of equal time of course)?

If you haven't been listening to the program you probably won't understand my point. The whole program is not just about 2A. The most important part that relates to this site was on the 2A and that was what I wanted to point out here. The whole discussion relating to the 2nd Amendment was positive.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:12 PM
The whole discussion relating to the 2nd Amendment was positive. Meaning what? How much talk time did the liars get? Did the same old sound bytes get repeated or did it move the truth farther along?

CoRoMo
February 26, 2010, 07:13 PM
Well if bill clinton or giuliani started talking the pro gun talk, would you just ignore the hypocrisy and duplicity of the messenger?

I don't believe anyone is beyond redemption.

This thread could go well, or it could go like these:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=477799
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=441279
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=396003

84B20
February 26, 2010, 07:15 PM
Meaning what? How much talk time did the liars get? Did the same old sound bytes get repeated or did it move the truth farther along?

Please, just watch the program. There was only one semi negative comment and that was debunked buy Judge Napolitano.

Zundfolge
February 26, 2010, 07:21 PM

:scrutiny:

No, he's always been pro gun ... he's always been a strict constructionist.

Boba Fett
February 26, 2010, 07:27 PM

So what's your point?

Two things:
1) Let's see some links to your claims. I watch and listen to Beck as often as I can, I've read most of his books, and I can't really recall a time he was anti-2A and then switched to a pro-2A in a "just for the ratings" move. Since you must watch, listen, and read him much more than I, let's have some links.
2) It sounds as though you believe that people who were once neutral or anti-2A and change their minds to a pro-2A view aren't really valid 2A supporters. :scrutiny:

Erik M
February 26, 2010, 07:30 PM
:scrutiny:

No, he's always been pro gun ... he's always been a strict constructionist.
I agree, I became a Beck fan way before he was on TV, as I think he was broadcasting out of Tampa. Ive never witnessed him throwing off on 2A.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:37 PM
I don't believe anyone is beyond redemption.I agree but I just don't trust ENTERTAINMENT personalities.

Please, just watch the program. There was only one semi negative comment and that was debunked buy Judge Napolitano. No, I won't be watching it because I don't waste gun/ammo money by giving it to cable/satellite companies because they mostly broadcast anti gun crap in a variety of flavors (among other trash).

I'm glad Judge Napolitano debunked the lie, but my main view is that Beck is doing this for ratings. I have a feeling that we won't hear any more pro second amendment stuff from Beck for a while after this is over.

Boba Fett
February 26, 2010, 07:44 PM
No, I don't waste gun money by giving it to cable/satellite companies because they mostly broadcast anti gun crap in a variety of flavors (among other trash).

I'm glad Judge Napolitano debunked the lie, but my main view is that Beck is doing this for ratings. I have a feeling that we won't hear any more pro second amendment stuff from Beck for a while after this is over.

So you really have nothing worthwhile to add to this discussion, if I'm reading this correctly.

You think Beck is doing it just for the ratings but you don't watch his show so you really have nothing to base your view/opinion on. And your "feeling" is equally based on nothing. He has discussed 2A at length in his latest book, has discussed it on the radio and on TV...and you still don't seem to have anything to back up your "feeling" or view. You claimed he wasn't pro-2A at some point. That's quite a claim without evidence. You seem to have intimate knowledge of his firearm purchases as well...

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Starts with T and ends with ROLL...

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:47 PM
So you really have nothing worthwhile to add to this discussion, if I'm reading this correctly.That was quite rude. I believe I have already added a good and correct perspective to this discussion, you just don't like hearing it.

You think Beck is doing it just for the ratings but you don't watch his show so you really have nothing to base your view/opinion on. WRONG pal. I said I don't watch his show. I NEVER said I hadn't watched/heard Beck in the past. Your rudeness and desperation is showing by the way you misrepresent my words.

Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Starts with T and ends with ROLL... Oh and here comes the petty and desperate name calling since you cannot defeat my point of view. Typical.

[Pb]
February 26, 2010, 07:47 PM
Glenn Beck does not convince ANYONE to agree with him. He just panders to those who already do to boost his TV ratings.

He acts like a child with a temper tantrum- not someone I want arguing for my constitutional rights. It just makes it easier for those who sit somewhere in the middle or are uneducated about guns to write us off as extremists. I have seen this happen many times.

84B20
February 26, 2010, 07:48 PM
Anyone else thinking what I'm thinking? Starts with T and ends with ROLL...

I definitely am!

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:51 PM
I definitely am! Fine, think what you like. Support name calling. The low road you and your pal boba have taken will get your thread locked and you only have yourselves to blame. I stayed ON TOPIC, and I stayed on my point. I didn't call anyone here any name. Check the thread if you want to see WHO started the name calling.

You guys (84B20 and Boba) degenerated into using the weakest internet argument in the book (i.e. calling someone a troll when you cannot defeat what they're saying).

A troll is someone who makes an incendiary post and then RUNS AWAY to watch the fire. I hung in here and defended by viewpoint and you know it.

84B20 and Boba have become hostile and insulted me in every way they dare, JUST because they don't like my viewpoint. Hey 84B20, if you only want one point of view, don't start threads.

nwilliams
February 26, 2010, 07:53 PM
Glenn Beck does not convince ANYONE to agree with him. He just panders to those who already do to boost his TV ratings.

He acts like a child with a temper tantrum- not someone I want arguing for my constitutional rights. It just makes it easier for those who sit somewhere in the middle or are uneducated about guns to write us off as extremists. I have seen this happen many times.
That about sums up my feelings on the guy.

rm23
February 26, 2010, 07:55 PM

I'd really like a source for those claims. Glenn Beck is a friend of the RKBA cause. He's got a chapter in Arguing With Idiots devoted to the 2nd Amendment.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
rm23, we've been talking about his TV program all through this thread and not his book. Nice try at a diversion.

Funny that you quoted where I said that Glenn "only became "pro gun" in the last year or two." Hey rm, that book was only published 5 months ago, so thanks for helping to prove my point. :D

iScream
February 26, 2010, 07:56 PM
I've been listening to and watching Glenn Beck since about 2002. I don't remember for sure whether he spoke about being pro 2A early on but I sure remember that he never spoke against it.

Personally, I think Glenn Beck is probably the most honest media personality out there. He is very up front about where he stands, nails Republicans nearly as hard as he does Democrats and says what he believes, not what he is told would be good for ratings.

It amazes me how many people fear that guy. Just mention his name and you can count on a wide range of negative statements about him, nearly 100 percent of which are false.

I DVR his show every day so I'll check it out this evening.

-Chris

84B20
February 26, 2010, 07:59 PM
35wailen, I wasn't referring to the name calling, just the comments prior to that but not the tone.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 08:02 PM
35wailen, I wasn't referring to the name calling, just the comments prior to that but not the tone. If you want to split hairs and become nice to save your thread from getting locked, how bout you go remove where you falsely called me a troll. Frankly I think you and Boba have already guaranteed that it will be locked by the tone YOU took with me.

rogertc1
February 26, 2010, 08:02 PM
Glenn Beck has always been a guns right supporter. He has been a speaker at the NRA convention for the last 4 years. Always been 2A....
Just some THE members just don't like Fox and support the other side.
Some posters are subversive..it would be like calling the POPE a Moslem...

iScream
February 26, 2010, 08:06 PM
rm23, we've been talking about his TV program all through this thread and not his book. Nice try at a diversion.

Funny that you quoted where I said that Glenn "only became "pro gun" in the last year or two." Hey rm, that book was only published 5 months ago, so thanks for helping to prove my point. :D
What exactly is your point? Other than you don't like the guy. If you don't watch his show how would you have the slightest idea what his stance is on any issue?

Not trying to be mean but you don't seem to have much in the way of facts to back up what you say...

-Chris

Boba Fett
February 26, 2010, 08:06 PM
Do me a favor 35wailen. Answer the following questions and maybe, just maybe, we won't think your just a Troll as your many contradictory posts indicate:

1) Post evidence to back up your claim of his previous stance that was not pro-2A.
2) Post evidence to back up your claim that he only recently purchased some firearms.

You haven't done this. Instead, when someone mentions that Beck devotes a chapter in his new book on 2A, you say:
rm, we're talking about his TV program and not his book.

A troll is someone who makes an incendiary post and then RUNS AWAY to watch the fire. I hung in here and defended by viewpoint and you know it.

Yeah, you hung in there and defended your viewpoint with more jabberwocky.

84B20
February 26, 2010, 08:07 PM
If you want to split hairs and become nice to save your thread from getting locked, how bout you go remove where you falsely called me a troll. Frankly I think you and Boba have already guaranteed that it will be locked by the tone YOU took with me.

I think I already did that. I said I didn't mean to do any name calling. I think that is uncalled for.

rm23
February 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
35wailen:

Glenn Beck was not the subject of this thread until you derailed it. This was a thread about a 2nd Amendment discussion on his show. Since you did not watch his show, you don't have anything to contribute, so why don't you exit stage left before it gets locked.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 08:09 PM
What exactly is your point? Other than you don't like the guy. If you don't watch his show how would you have the slightest idea what his stance is on any issue?

Not trying to be mean but you don't seem to have much in the way of facts to back up what you say...Oh boy. I've made my point quite clear, in several posts. I've already stated that I have watched/listened to Glenn in the past.

I NEVER SAID "I don't like the guy." I said I don't trust entertainment personalities.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 08:11 PM
Yeah, you hung in there and defended your viewpoint with more jabberwocky. Hmm more veiled insults. This thread is running out of life. Congratulations.

35wailen:

Glenn Beck was not the subject of this thread until you derailed it. Ha ha ha. That is a desperate statement for the record books. Um, look that the title of this thread.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 08:12 PM
I said I didn't mean to do any name calling. I think that is uncalled for. Whether you "meant" to do it doesn't change the fact that you DID in post #20

I agree that what you said in post 20 was "uncalled for."

84B20
February 26, 2010, 08:14 PM
Oh boy. I've made my point quite clear, in several posts. I've already stated that I have watched/listened to Glenn in the past.

Might I suggest you watch the program this weekend, at least the beginning part about the 2nd Amendment and come back and post your comments about it then? No sarcasm meant.

35wailen
February 26, 2010, 08:16 PM
Might I suggest you watch the program this weekend, at least the beginning part about the 2nd Amendment and come back and post your comments about it then? No sarcasm meant.Like I already said, I don't pay for cable/satellite. I would probably enjoy the program, and if pieces of it turn up in video form on the internet, I would probably enjoy that too. I like seeing the second amendment being supported. I still don't trust entertainment TV personalities though.

atomd
February 26, 2010, 08:17 PM

I disagree. Glenn Beck has definitely gathered a group of people together that think a little bit differently than the Limbaugh/Hannity/O'Reilly crowd. I think he's turned some of their fans into a different sort of direction. He is always recommending reading the constitution and books written about the constitution. I might say constructionist in some ways. He's certainly changing people's minds and doesn't seem to be all about any party line. There are plenty of panderers out there and I would name them by name but I don't want to argue about them. Beck certainly isn't one of them. Not even close.

Like him or dislike him and politics aside, he at least tries to get people to read and understand our constitution. That's ALWAYS a good thing regardless of whether you're a conservative or liberal or whatnot. The more people we can get to sit down for a while and read anything about our history, the less likely we are to repeat the mistakes of the past.

Oh, and he has a pretty good 2A chapter in "Arguing With Idiots". Some of the stuff in that chapter reads almost word for word from what a lot of us have to say on THR.

84B20
February 26, 2010, 08:18 PM
Hmm more veiled insults. This thread is running out of life. Congratulations.

Ha ha ha. That is a desperate statement for the record books. Um, look that the title of this thread.

The subject was the 2nd Amendment or rather the airing of a discussion of it and since I am the OP I should know. The fact it was on his program is irrelevant, at least to me. I would have posted it no matter what program it was on.

Larry Ashcraft
February 26, 2010, 08:19 PM
This one certainly went downhill quickly.

If you enjoyed reading about "Glenn Beck and 2A" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!