Ring around the cylinder

PDA

boatmanschneider
February 26, 2010, 08:03 PM
I recently bought a unused 50th ann. Ruger Blackhawk .357. It had a minor ring scratched around the cylinder by the latch. I have fired 86 rounds and dry fired some and the ring is getting much worse, gouging the metal.

Will it affect the function of the weapon if I use a fine stone on the latch to smooth the edges?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ring around the cylinder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
NG VI
February 26, 2010, 08:07 PM
Gouging? That doesn't sound good, I would say, based on little mods I've done to my guns, that smoothing up a release latch can't hurt anything, just don't go too wild with it.

jad0110
February 26, 2010, 09:10 PM
Could you possibly post some pics?

Sounds like the cylinder stop is out of spec and dragging too hard/too soon.

wow6599
February 26, 2010, 09:22 PM
A faint turn ring is normal......gouging is not

boatmanschneider
February 26, 2010, 09:52 PM
My camera isnt good enough to show the detail.

When I say gouging I mean, not just blueing scraped off. I the middle of each line of lightly scraped blueing the is a a small oval spot with three or so small cuts in the steel, gouges.

At this time it is a small cosmetic issue. But as it is wearing fast I want to get on it right away.

jad0110
February 27, 2010, 12:43 AM
Sounds like it is time to give Ruger a call.

jfh
February 27, 2010, 01:37 AM
I'll second jad0110--both issues sound like Ruger would want to fix them.

Jim H.

madcratebuilder
February 27, 2010, 06:09 AM
Go to the ruger forum and search out the mod to eliminate the turn ring. Cost under a dollar and is easy to do. I do it to all my Rugers and it works great.

boatmanschneider
February 27, 2010, 06:22 AM
Thanks for the input, I'll start with the Ruger forum. If I do end up sending it to Ruger I'll see if I can get a 9mm cylinder made for it.

buttrap
February 27, 2010, 06:58 AM
Most see the cylinder ring and have a fit as it looks like the gun is self destruting..its normal.

jad0110
February 27, 2010, 11:17 AM
Most see the cylinder ring and have a fit as it looks like the gun is self destruting..its normal.

True, but the OP in post #5 stated that in "the middle of each line of lightly scraped blueing the is a a small oval spot with three or so small cuts in the steel, gouges."

Doesn't sound normal to me, but I know what you are saying. :cool:

If you enjoyed reading about "Ring around the cylinder" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!