629 Performance Center Comped Hunter

PDA

monwa
February 26, 2010, 11:05 PM
Does anyone have experience with or an opinion of this revolver?

Do you have any pros or cons in regard to it?

It seems all things PC are kind of expensive but at around $1000 is there something that is a better value in your opinion?

I know this is a way different handgun, but do you think a Ruger Bisley Hunter would be a better way to go for around $600?

It would be mostly for utility/hunting carry in addition to a rifle. I would not do much recreational or range shooting with it. I have no plans to scope it but someday that may change if I have a need and I would like to have the ability to do so. I think either would do what I need but would like your opinions.

Maybe there is another product that I should consider also?

Thank You for you help.

If you enjoyed reading about "629 Performance Center Comped Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Buck Snort
February 27, 2010, 01:22 AM
If its not going to be your primary hunting gun then it seems a waste of money when the Ruger is available for $400 less. However, if you've got money to burn..............

Action_Can_Do
February 27, 2010, 01:40 AM
There are a lot of really good 44 magnums out there. So many in fact, that the best thing to do is decide what your need for the gun is, and hold several different models to determine what type of grip you prefer. For hunting, either of the models you mentioned would be just fine. The S&W will probably be a bit nicer in the fit and finish. You just have to decide if it's worth the cost to you.

earplug
February 27, 2010, 01:54 AM
The compensator is only worthwhile if you miss on your first shot. And you plan to shoot a cylinder full of other shoots. A singel shot Thompson Contender would work fine if you hit with the first shot.
If your using it for hunting A Ruger would be fine.

buck460XVR
February 27, 2010, 12:56 PM
I love mine. Paid around $900 for it and would do it again. Extremely accurate and pleasant to shoot. Very well balanced for a long pipe revolver. I shoot approximately 100-150 rounds thru it every time I go to the range and go there about once a month. Trigger breaks like glass and even with full power hunting loads, recoil is not harsh. My 9 year old nephew shoots it and it doesn't even make him flinch. The comp is unlike magna-porting and works well. Since it was a Lew Horton model it came with wood stocks whick I have since swapped for the recoil absorbing grips that came standard on my X-Frame. I also have the same grips on my 686.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/buckanddot/44MAGa.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v333/buckanddot/100_3782.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "629 Performance Center Comped Hunter" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!