Rifle weight and recoil

PDA

chains1240
February 27, 2010, 11:31 AM
I was reading on a Chuck Hawkes website that a recoil reduction of 10% for an increase of rifle weight of 10% can be achieved. This was a rough estimate. Am I correct in thinking that if a 7.5# rifle shooting 150 grain .308 has 15.8# of recoil then a 9# rifle shooting the same round has about 11.06# of recoil?

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle weight and recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
dirtyjim
February 27, 2010, 12:03 PM
i think stock design and shooting position affects how a gun recoils more than the weight of the rifle does.
i can shoot most big bores from a standing rest all day but a couple of rounds from the same rifle on a bench and i'm done.
several of my rifles also have a lot of drop in the stock and they are great from a standing rest but brutal from a bench.

my 10,75x68mm is scary light for a dg rifle , 9 pounds, but its recoil is very mild.

Water-Man
February 27, 2010, 12:09 PM
Weight of firearm does affect recoil but, as dirtyjim has said, there are other factors as well.

If you enjoyed reading about "Rifle weight and recoil" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!