suppressor sound?

PDA

cottonmouth
February 27, 2010, 12:44 PM
I have read that a suppressed rifle shot will sound like it came from a 90 degree angle from the actual weapon. Is this true and if so why?

J.B.

If you enjoyed reading about "suppressor sound?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BK
February 27, 2010, 02:12 PM
That might be referring to the sonic crack echoing back toward the shooter.

Texas Gun Person
February 27, 2010, 02:17 PM
That would be 180 degrees? ^^

BK
February 27, 2010, 02:26 PM
I meant bouncing from 90 degrees back toward the shooter since sound travels in more than one direction. I experienced this when there was a building or anything out to my side. It sort of sounded like someone else shot from a position 90 degrees to me, but it was only my gun's report bouncing off that object.

Ranb
February 27, 2010, 10:36 PM
It depends on what you are shooting. My subsonic stuff like the 300 whisper sounds like a car door slamming. The high powered stuff is like an air hose being disconnected. All of them are louder when shot under weather protection, with the supersonic loads requireing ear plugs when doing so. The sonic booms echo back unless shooting in a very wide open space.

Ranb

Wingnut13
February 27, 2010, 10:53 PM
You won't hear much from the suppressor, but that sound is directional. However if your rounds are super-sonic the crack from the bullet is non-directional.

Zak Smith
March 13, 2010, 02:10 AM
If a supersonic bullet passes an observer, he will hear the sonic boom and it will sound like it came from the closest part of bullet path to him; the "report" from the sonic boom propagates at right angles from the bullet path.

If you enjoyed reading about "suppressor sound?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!