New Springfield EMP 9mm

PDA

m2steven
February 27, 2010, 03:04 PM
After researching 9mm 1911's, I decided upon the EMP. I've put 100 rounds of WWB thru it and it functions flawlessly. Trigger is pure 1911 style and the match grade barrel produces extremely good results. Shooting this thing is really a fun, wonderful experience. I could not be happier at this point.

I also ran 20 CORBON DPX thru it and those also cycled perfectly, but I don't consider that much of a test for that type of cartridge. This is a finely crafted pistol and I expect many thousands of rounds of mud puddle and pepsi can shooting from it.

If you enjoyed reading about "New Springfield EMP 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
BK
February 27, 2010, 03:07 PM
I love Springfield 1911s. Is this going to be your carry pistol? I've been thinking about an EMP for carry.

m2steven
February 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
Yes, I will carry this. It's quite light even when the magazine is loaded. Not plastic light, but carrying it around in the holster it came with, it's very pleasurable to carry. I took it apart for cleaning, and was impressed with the overall quality of the build and finish.

Shovelhead
February 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
I carry my EMP daily. ;)

BK
February 27, 2010, 03:19 PM
It came with a holster? What kind?

Shovelhead
February 27, 2010, 03:38 PM
It comes with a plastic "Fobus-Looking" OWB belt hoster and a plastic magazine pouch.
I use a Milt Sparks VM-II IWB

czrami9
February 27, 2010, 03:40 PM
Congratulations on your new gun. The EMP is a great carry pistol, and beautiful as well. I have the .40, which is heavier than the 9mm (I believe the 9 uses an alloy frame and the 40 has a steel frame). Anyway, happy shooting!

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/jj256/SR9CCW/guns006-1.jpg

m2steven
February 27, 2010, 03:45 PM
Yes, i believe the frame is aluminum alloy of some type. I've heard of no problems with it. And I was indeed happy shooting it! It fit's my hand like a glove. The trigger is a bit tight for a 1911 trigger, still it has zero effect upon my aim and therefore serves it's purpose extremely well. I'd still have to describe the trigger as excellent. I'm not the least interested in having it bettered.

m2steven
February 27, 2010, 03:50 PM
..and it comes with THREE mec-gar magazines which are really nice.

BK
February 27, 2010, 03:52 PM
...a plastic "Fobus-Looking" OWB belt hoster and a plastic magazine pouch.

Ah, XD gear for the EMP.

Lonestar49
February 27, 2010, 04:40 PM
After researching 9mm 1911's, I decided upon the EMP. I've put 100 rounds of WWB thru it and it functions flawlessly. Trigger is pure 1911 style and the match grade barrel produces extremely good results. Shooting this thing is really a fun, wonderful experience. I could not be happier at this point.

Congrats on a great choice..

My EMP 9mm now has 5700 rounds and each range session always brings home a bigger :)

These little gems are not finicky, quite the opposite, and "very forgiving"

Mine shines using 124 JHP's

Ls

9mmepiphany
February 27, 2010, 07:13 PM
i've had mine a couple of weeks now and only have a couple of hundred round through it so far...so it's not quite ready for carry

i really like it and i'm going to give it some thought before i start changing things on it...but the thumb safeties are sharp and just eat my thumb

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1677.jpg

m2steven
February 27, 2010, 07:45 PM
I have not noticed any sharp edges on my thumb safeties, but if they are there somewhere, I'll find them.

For comparison, Para has a similar 1911 but it has a Kahr-like trigger with a long smooth pull. It's not typical 1911 but it's a very good trigger. I had thought about the Para PDA but after reading a few days decided that the EMP was probably a bit better. I did handle the Para and it was a very nicely made pistol, but they apparently don't like hollowpoint ammo. They might have corrected that problem at this point. I gather they are nearly as accurate as the EMP. They are actually slightly smaller than the EMP but you really have to look to find the difference.

This EMP could become my favorite range pistol. At 75 feet, I'm about as good with it as I am my Sig X-5. Stunning from a 3" barrel.

Warhawk83
February 27, 2010, 07:58 PM
Congrats! I plan on an EMP being a graduation present to myself. It has a certain "drool factor" for me.

9mmepiphany
February 27, 2010, 08:19 PM
I have not noticed any sharp edges on my thumb safeties, but if they are there somewhere, I'll find them.

i expected that the edges would be rounded off...not a big, i was looking at changing to a single sided safety anyway

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n79/9mmepiphany/DSC_1651.jpg

It has a certain "drool factor" for me.
if you haven't seen it yet, i have a photo essay on mine here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=506252

If you enjoyed reading about "New Springfield EMP 9mm" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!