need your help selecting a pistol scope

PDA

Harvey
February 27, 2010, 03:16 PM
I posted this in the handgun forum, but think that the long-gunners might be of help just as well. Maybe better.

I recently purchased a Weatherby CFP (Compact Firing Platform, similar to the Remington XP100) chambered in .243 Winchester. I need your help in selecting an appropriate scope for 100+ yd. plinking, hunting and SHTF defense.

What magnification is appropriate? Is a long eye relief scope a given?

Thanks. Any other suggestions regarding this goofy gun is appreciated.

If you enjoyed reading about "need your help selecting a pistol scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
ArmedBear
February 27, 2010, 03:55 PM
Long eye relief is definitely necessary.

I shoot pistol matches with a Leupold 2x scope. I'd say that there's a balance to be struck between magnifying your target, and magnifying the movement of the pistol. If you're shooting offhand or semi-offhand, I'd go towards the lower end like my scope. If you plan to shoot from a solid rest, I'd consider going higher, since .243 is potentially a fairly long-range round.

It also depends on what your targets will be.:)

If you enjoyed reading about "need your help selecting a pistol scope" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!