Is it possible to limp wrist a revolver?

PDA

w_houle
February 27, 2010, 04:06 PM
IF so how can you tell, and what failures would be a result?

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it possible to limp wrist a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
cottonmouth
February 27, 2010, 04:09 PM
I'd say no, unless it's slapping you in the head when it fires.

J.B.

fireside44
February 27, 2010, 04:26 PM

lol, started choking.

rcmodel
February 27, 2010, 04:50 PM
Yes, and no.

Yes, a single-action revolver like a Colt SAA or Ruger Blackhawk demands a very firm grip to get consistent accuracy out of it.

No, there are no functioning problems associated with limpwresting a revovler.

rc

WC145
February 27, 2010, 05:33 PM

Now THAT'S funny!:D

No, as RC said, you can't limp wrist a revolver. That's the beauty of a wheel gun, fewer potential problems than an auto.

GP100man
February 27, 2010, 05:59 PM
different grips (how it falls in the hand) & different grip (stocks) can change POI .

SG1
February 27, 2010, 06:03 PM
Yes, a single-action revolver like a Colt SAA or Ruger Blackhawk demands a very firm grip to get consistent accuracy out of it.

I was going to say just this. I had a SAA and was trying to fire single handed and couldn't even hit the target. I realized it was because I was limp wristing.

Confederate
February 27, 2010, 06:07 PM
The answer is YES, you can limp wrist a revolver.

BUT...it will not result in a malfunction. Just accuracy problems.

wlewisiii
February 27, 2010, 07:29 PM

Oy! +1 and then some.

William

The Filthy Spitoon
February 27, 2010, 08:55 PM
I never even heard of limp wristing until polymer pistols arrived on the scene. AFAIK, that's the only gun with those problems.

nulfisin
February 27, 2010, 09:56 PM
Why would you want to do that? The gun will go bang. Where the round goes is anyone's guess.

Drail
February 27, 2010, 10:39 PM
Grip it with the same pressure you would use to hold a hammer. You don't need to chicken choke it. Just grip it the same way every time. Handgun accuracy is all about consistency.

Zundfolge
February 27, 2010, 11:13 PM
Actually you can limp wrist a revolver ... a Mateba Unica 6 or a Webley-Fosbery.

:neener:

hmphargh
February 27, 2010, 11:39 PM
Yes, this could happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bCInkw3641w

oasis618
February 27, 2010, 11:42 PM
Is this one of those threads that are started just for the sake of starting a thread?

R.W.Dale
February 27, 2010, 11:53 PM
I remain unconvinced you can limp wrist a pistol, much less a revolver. IMO the phenomena is made up by manufacturers and dealers hoping to get out of warranty work on improperly functioning products

fatfreddiescat
February 28, 2010, 12:32 AM
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159051404

The Filthy Spitoon
February 28, 2010, 10:10 AM
Amen krochus

Guillermo
February 28, 2010, 10:44 AM
you can "limp finger" a revolver

rcmodel
February 28, 2010, 12:02 PM
I remain unconvinced you can limp wrist a pistol, much less a revolver.Oh, it's entirely possible to limp wrest an auto.

When I gunsmithed for an Army AMU unit I saw more then one gun malfunction for a shooter that worked perfectly when we test fired it.
A little coaching on proper grip & locked wrest would get it working for them with no other change to the gun.

It is quite possible with very light compact auto's.
They just don't have enough mass for the slide to push against unless you lock your wrest and add your arm to the "irresistible force" opposing the recoil spring.

rc

R.W.Dale
February 28, 2010, 01:40 PM
It is quite possible with very light compact auto's.
They just don't have enough mass for the slide to push against unless you lock your wrest and add your arm to the "irresistible force" opposing the recoil spring.

This is exactly why I'm unconvinced. I've TRIED to make P32's and various other micro sized pistols locked breach and blowback to limpwrist to the extent of even holding and shooting as if I was holding fine bone china at a Victorian era English tea party. and not once have I been rewarded by a malfunction as a result.......perhaps it's a M1911 thing as limpwristing seems to a most popular excuse amongst such circles.

Ive noticed that if a gun costs $300 and jams it's a "jammomatic pos"
But if a gun costs $800+ and has a grip safety and malfunctions it's either being limpwristed or is still needing a 20,000 round break in

IME if you do actually have a pistol that's sensitive to how it's held the gun is broken and needs to be fixed. It's just like the my jeeps clutch chatter, If it release it a certain way it doesn't do it. But that doesn't mean it's my driving technique causing the problem rather than the leaky rear main seal and flwyheel in need of resurfacing.

Especially with regards to your pistol which tends to be a weapon of last resort. meaning you might have to use it in a stance other than the textbook weaver illustrated in training manuals.

RyanM
February 28, 2010, 02:59 PM
I guess it's possible. I heard of a revolver that was going full auto. The firing pin hole was so big that the primers were blowing out and pushing the hammer back far enough to "fan" the gun.

The Lone Haranguer
February 28, 2010, 04:43 PM
It would affect your accuracy with it, but not its functioning. Cycling the cylinder from one chamber to the next is done purely with the internal mechanism and actuated by your trigger finger, not recoil or blowback, which can be affected by your hold or grip on the gun.

I remain unconvinced you can limp wrist a pistol, much less a revolver. IMO the phenomena is made up by manufacturers and dealers hoping to get out of warranty work on improperly functioning products
I agree to an extent, but it is still possible. Think about how a machine rest functions. Some pistols will not cycle when fired from them but will when held firmly in the hand. When mounted in the rest, the gun is free to recoil with the shot and pivots from underneath, very much like limp-wristing.

w_houle
February 28, 2010, 08:40 PM
I just thought it might explain why some people have issues with the cylinder binding up on them. It was just a thought.

Cosmoline
February 28, 2010, 08:52 PM
IME if you do actually have a pistol that's sensitive to how it's held the gun is broken and needs to be fixed.

I agree, but that would include all 1911's even the high end models. You must hold them correctly in order to disengage the grip safety. That's a design defect in my book.

Cosmoline
February 28, 2010, 08:57 PM
IME if you do actually have a pistol that's sensitive to how it's held the gun is broken and needs to be fixed.

I agree, but that would include all 1911's even the high end models. You must hold them correctly in order to disengage the grip safety. That's a design defect in my book.

oldfool
March 1, 2010, 07:56 AM
IMO
like the guy said... "unless it slaps you in the head"
like another guy said.. no, you do not need a death grip (it is not "grip" per se, it is about your trigger squeeze/pull coming straight back)

as for pistolas... yes, almost any can malfunction on limp wrist, but it is very make/model specific, it is really not about just caliber... and it is far more commonplace in shorter/smaller/lighter... not exclusively so, and it is still make/model specific... but operator error is operator error, not "broken gun"... (see again "if it slaps you in the head")

all a matter of degree

for me the li'l KelTecs and LCPs are a prime example
they ain't broke
they don't malfunction for me, but I have seen quite a few shooters new to them who limp wrist 'em "every time" until they realize why
and that includes a lot of guys who shoot a lot of full size 9s and 40s and 45s
(I just naturally grip 'em tighter than I would a full size 9, just because there is so doggone little handle to hang onto, different than a "full size" all steel 380)
but I think I hold a full size 9 differently than I do a 357 revolver, not because the recoil is less or more, but because the recoil is naturally "different"; it is not something you think about, just something you get used to

YMMV

RyanM
March 2, 2010, 10:24 AM
I thought of something last night. It actually is possible to limp-wrist a revolver, with worse consequences than an auto. If you're shooting a light gun with powerful ammo with heavy bullets with no cannelure and/or not enough crimp, then limp-wristing will make the bullets jump crimp easier, and they could tie up the cylinder.

wombat13
March 2, 2010, 03:12 PM
I am convinced that I have seen limp wristing cause stovepipes. I took my BIL shooting my XD45. We were using CCI Blazer (IIRC). Same gun, same mags, same factory ammo (out of the same box). He kept getting stove pipe jams and I didn't.

The only explanation I can think of is limp wristing, particularly since he was a new shooter at the time.

rcmodel
March 2, 2010, 03:23 PM
then limp-wresting will make the bullets jump crimp easier, I don't believe that to be the case.

The initial very high G-force recoil that pulls bullets is all over and absorbed by your hand before the gun climbs due to limp wresting.

That remaining recoil that raises the gun vertical after the bullet is long gone is relatively low-G, and has nothing to do with bullet pulling.

rc

Zundfolge
March 2, 2010, 03:26 PM
Really the only reason that limp wristing a revolver would have any adverse effect on accuracy or reliability is because if you're limp wristing, you've probably got OTHER bad shooting habits too.

RyanM
March 2, 2010, 04:55 PM
I don't believe that to be the case.

The initial very high G-force recoil that pulls bullets is all over and absorbed by your hand before the gun climbs due to limp wresting.

Hmmm. On second thought, I think you're right. I can't think of anything, then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Is it possible to limp wrist a revolver?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!