Ak47 / ak74 which ak to buy?

PDA

Zack
February 27, 2010, 08:06 PM
I was looking at getting a AK in a few months. I looked at the wasr10, yugo m70. I do not want a wasr10, is there something higher on the rateing scale than a wasr10(your basic ak)? I do not want a kvar or some $900-$1200 ak.....

I have been looking at a Polish Tantal AK-74 It is a 74 correct? some people say it is a 47!?:what::rolleyes: Is this gun still dependable like an AK47? take all the mud and sand and still work? It is polish does it mean it is made in polish or is it made in Russia? The main reason why I am looking at it is because of cheap ammo by the case. Surplus ammo is only $150ish for 1080 rounds. Mags are a bit hard to find but thats ok. The wire folder would be the only thing to keep me from buying one and the BIG price tag at $600. Can you change out the wire stock for a wooden one or will this effect the 922(r) and I would have to add some parts to the gun? Does anyone have a tantal will the wire folder on? does it bother you?:uhoh:

The other thing would keep me away from it is it is made by CAI, which I heard is not so great... But it is an AK it should hold up.

What is the normal price on a Tantal, like a GREAT deal. I know ak47's where like $600 last year for a wasr10 now they can be found for $360-$450. What is the Tantals price? $500? $450?

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak47 / ak74 which ak to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
JDGray
February 27, 2010, 08:12 PM
The AK74s are chambered in 5.45 vs. the 7.62 of the AK47. Polish AKs are nice rifles compared to the Wasr10:)

junho806
February 27, 2010, 08:13 PM
the AK74 is a bit more accurate because of the better round
if you can i would just dish out the extra dough and get the AK74
but i own a WASR-10 and i have no problems with it
in the end its personal preference

Zack
February 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
So you would recommend getting a Tantal? what is a fair price for one of these? I do not want to pay $600++ and find out there only worth $450..... I heard they are heavy in the front? will this effect the aim?

junho806
February 27, 2010, 08:47 PM
I have no experience with that brand but if you check out aimsurplus.com they have several AK's at very good prices. I bought my romanian there. They dont have any AK74 in stock but if you wait a little they might have some in or you could ask them when they will get them in

ghitch75
February 27, 2010, 08:52 PM
SLR-95....was my choice...
http://i45.tinypic.com/sd2np1.jpg

Ughh
February 27, 2010, 09:04 PM
5.45x39 is no as easy to find as 7.62x39. You gotta also how much cheaper 7.62 is....

Zack
February 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
you gotta also how much cheaper 7.62 is? proper english please? I do not understand what you are saying? maybe you are saying you gotta know how much cheaper 7.62 is???????? I thought 5.45x39 is cheaper? spam cans $150 1080 rounds??? 1,000 wolf ammo $230ish??

also can someone answer a few of my questions please?

jobu07
February 27, 2010, 09:08 PM
5.45x39 is no as easy to find as 7.62x39. You gotta also how much cheaper 7.62 is....

http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R
Russian 5.45x39 53grn FMJ 1080rd Can A54539R $129.95

http://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=39
Wolf 7.62x39 Poly 122grn FMJ 20rd Box
SOLD OUT AW76239PFMJ $4.59 $229.50 per case

HOLY DIVER
February 27, 2010, 09:14 PM
i know its a "sporter" but i'd look at a saiga

Maverick223
February 27, 2010, 09:30 PM
It is a 74 correct?Yes, it is basically a revised version of the AKM, chambered for 5.45x39mm rather than the standard 7.62x39mm.

Is this gun still dependable like an AK47?Yes, it is essentially the same firearm.

take all the mud and sand and still work?No, but generally neither will an AK. Reliability is good but grossly overstated.

It is polish does it mean it is made in polish or is it made in Russia?Neither...it was made in Poland.

Can you change out the wire stock for a wooden one or will this effect the 922(r) and I would have to add some parts to the gun?I believe you would...but the wire folders do fine for a light recoiling carbine like the AK-74 (or even the AK-47).

The other thing would keep me away from it is it is made by CAI, which I heard is not so great...Century does put out turds from time to time, but I think your biggest concerns will be mag well slop, canted sights, and general poor quality workmanship. Nothing that will affect operation, mostly aesthetics.

What is the normal price on a Tantal, like a GREAT deal. I know ak47's where like $600 last year for a wasr10 now they can be found for $360-$450. What is the Tantals price? $600.00 is a horrible deal...they are $430.00USD at Classic Arms.

You gotta also how much cheaper 7.62 is....5.45x39mm is NOT cheaper, it is more costly. That said, if it were I, I would stick to 7.62x39 for AK platforms, they were designed for it, it is relatively cheap, easy to find, non-corrosive (typically), hits harder (will work fine for deer in the proper rifle), and available domestically if needed (there are no US manufacturers of 5.45mm). IMO the best rifle that is "AKish" is the VZ-58, just a better all around design and just as rugged (if not more so). A Saiga (if you are willing to restore/convert) is also a good option.

:)

Zack
February 27, 2010, 10:11 PM
already did a convert on a saiga I do not want to do another it was kinda hard. I rather wait and do it on a .410 saiga or 12g saiga.

Maverick223 nailed it! all my questions answerd. I am just confussed how is 5.45x39 not cheaper than 7.62x39? a box of 5.45x39 is $129 aims and a wolf 1,000 case is $220++??

just looking for a ready to go ak no work to be done :)

(how is this non-corrosive? I thought it was because it is sealed in the metal can which my 7.62x54R came it, I thought all these metal cans surplus where corrosive?)

RUSSIAN 5.45X39 AMMUNITION

WHAT A GREAT DEAL. RUSSIAN, STEEL CASE, LAQUER COATED, NON-CORROSIVE 5.45X39 AMMUNITION.
1080 ROUNDS / SEALED TIN, .53 GRAIN W/MOISTURE SEAL. THIS IS THE GOOD STUFF.......
ITEM # RUSSIAN 5.45X39........... $159.95

HorseSoldier
February 27, 2010, 10:15 PM
I have been looking at a Polish Tantal AK-74 It is a 74 correct?

The Tantal has some extremely minor differences from a Russian 74, none of which involve the basic operating system and its reliability.

Does anyone have a tantal will the wire folder on? does it bother you?

I have a Tantal and have used former East German .mil 74s with the same stock. It isn't all that bad, though it's a bit too short for me, personally. Not much of a problem, but occasional minor ouch moments stemming from being right up on the rear sling swivel.

The other thing would keep me away from it is it is made by CAI, which I heard is not so great... But it is an AK it should hold up.

Century is supposed to be using properly dimensioned barrels these days, if I'm not mistaken, but I'd make the following general observation about AKs -- they're quite reliable (though nowhere near as reliable as the internet would lead you to believe) when properly built, but nothing about the AK makes it reliable if improperly assembled. Garbage in will result in garbage out, if you will.

Maverick223
February 27, 2010, 10:25 PM
(how is this non-corrosive? I thought it was because it is sealed in the metal can which my 7.62x54R came it, I thought all these metal cans surplus where corrosive?)...Apparently I was wrong...I thought that most all of 5.45x39mm was corrosive.

...but nothing about the AK makes it reliable if improperly assembled. Garbage in will result in garbage out, if you will.Not trying to suggest that it is impossible to flub up...just that CAI tends to do alright when it comes to AKs, whereas other rifles they hack on can come out pretty poorly. There is absolutely nothing magical about the AK that makes it operate when constructed improperly, eat up sand, or any other internet myths that are oft spread.

grilledcheese
February 27, 2010, 11:03 PM
Maybe I'm repeating what others have said, but...

The cheapest surplus 5.45x39 ammo on the market right now is corrosive and was made in the 70's and early 80's. Good price is $130-$150 per case of 1080. Good example is the aforementioned AIM Surplus offering:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=A54539R
There is also current production non-corrosive 5.45x39 on the market but it is more expensive. From Centerfire:
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/AM545200.aspx

7.62x39 ammo prices are all over the place right now, with easily a dozen different varieties available in a range of prices, but nowhere that I've found sells 7.62 cheaper than surplus 5.45. Please feel free to correct me if I am in error.

While I have no practical experience with the Tantal, I recently picked up this beautiful, well-built, and perfectly functioning Lancaster Bulgarian AK-74 from Atlantic Firearms for $600 (thanks guys!):

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o10/noshpatu/ak74-1.jpg

Surplus Bulgarian thirty-round magazines for AK-74's are also plentiful and cheap right now. Once again, AIM Surplus:
http://www.aimsurplus.com/product.aspx?item=MAK74C30&groupid=15
Price there is $9.95 a piece if you buy four or more. Condition is used, and they look like it,with scratches and annoying little "Made in Bulgaria" stickers on them, but all that I bought so far have functioned perfectly. Several other vendors are selling the same magazines at similar prices. New mags can be had for a bit more.
I also picked up a case of the surplus 5.45 and will likely get more while the price is so low.
I hope this helps.

Jeffrey

Almond27
February 27, 2010, 11:25 PM
Yeah, check out Atlantic Firearms for sure. They have the 5.45x39 Rough Rider AK 74 for a real good deal and will take care of ya. No I don't have any association with them but have heard alot of good stuff about them.

Zack
February 28, 2010, 12:25 AM
what if I didnt want to deal with the online FFL and shipping, I just bought it at a local gun shop. Will the basic polish tantal AK-74 with wirefolder work?

Almond27
February 28, 2010, 12:28 AM
Yes, Polish Tantal's are fine I'd make your dealer hasn't had it sitting around for a couple of years in his shop as some of the older Century built ones did have 5.56 barrels and that is a problem. Also just look it over real well check for sight cant etc. You should be fine just educate yourself before you go to look and buy and you should get a good one.

Maverick223
February 28, 2010, 01:39 AM
Will the basic polish tantal AK-74 with wirefolder work?It'll be fine, just A) Make sure 5.45mm is what you want...& B) Don't pay $600.00 because your getting hosed.

jpwilly
February 28, 2010, 10:22 AM
Don't pay $600.00 because your getting hosed.

Hey Maverick I'd agree with most everything you have said save but as for getting hosed paying $600+or- I disagree. I'll pay extra for Quality. I've owned WASR's but was willing to pay extra for a Lancaster Romanian G build and couldn't be more happy. Just like getting a CIA Polish for $450ish is okay but getting a nicer one like grilledcheese's would be much better IMO and for only $150 extra. That's really not much doe. We all end up shooting more $$ in ammo anyway.

JDGray
February 28, 2010, 11:23 AM
grilledcheese,
Fine looking AK you have there!;)

Zack
February 28, 2010, 11:28 AM
Grilledcheese how much was yours?
what do you mean 5.56 barrel? they make 5.45x39m guns but they put 5.56 barrels on them!???(CIA scams people?):confused::what: I do not want to get taken for.

Also if I just buy from the store, can I add a nice wood stock like yours? or do I need to worry about the 992r? Isnt the wirefolder not made in the US? so it would be ok to put a non us stock on???

Oh its a Bulgarian AK-74 I did not see that part.... opps. Well that is still a nice AK! :)

I was thinking it was a tantal

Quentin
February 28, 2010, 11:58 AM
I'd say you'd better be absolutely sure if you want to deviate from 7.62x39 in an AK. I went with a basic WASR10 then built an AR to get a flat shooting round. Each works very well in its intended application and saved me money. Anyway, do your homework and get the right thing for yourself - the first time.

BTW, if the OP is demanding proper English in this thread he may want to live up to that standard himself before attacking someone trying to help.

Maverick223
February 28, 2010, 02:00 PM
Hey Maverick I'd agree with most everything you have said save but as for getting hosed paying $600+or- I disagree. I'll pay extra for Quality. I've owned WASR's but was willing to pay extra for a Lancaster Romanian G build and couldn't be more happy.I was referring to the Polish Tantal (which he had a price of $600.00 for), for a nicer rifle that would be an acceptable price. Personally I wouldn't spend any more than about $500.00 for a AK variant (milled or not), because I consider the VZ-58 to be a little nicer rifle for little more, but that is a different story.

Zack
February 28, 2010, 09:54 PM
The stock on grilledcheese's gun could that be added to a polish tantal or would 992r effect it?? If I wanted to add a very nice stock to a polish tantal ( If I buy ) do I need to worry about 992r if it is foriegn part? not US made?(the wire folder on the tantal is foriegn or is it US made?)

Maverick223
March 1, 2010, 12:21 AM
...or would 992r effect it?It could...depends upon where the stock was made and what you replace it with.

If I wanted to add a very nice stock to a polish tantal ( If I buy ) do I need to worry about 992r if it is foriegn part? not US made?Yes, you should replace it with US made parts (then you know you're alright)...not the other way around. If the stock is made exclusive of the US (likely, but I'm not sure) you can replace it with whatever you like.

jpwilly
March 1, 2010, 12:33 AM
I went the AKM 7.62x39mm route...here's a pic of my Lancaster Arms AKM Romey "G" build with a Kobra sight:

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/DSC_0069.jpg

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p38/jpwilly/DSC_0070.jpg

Ughh
March 3, 2010, 10:13 PM
you gotta also how much cheaper 7.62 is? proper english please? I do not understand what you are saying? maybe you are saying you gotta know how much cheaper 7.62 is???????? I thought 5.45x39 is cheaper? spam cans $150 1080 rounds??? 1,000 wolf ammo $230ish??

also can someone answer a few of my questions please?

Heheh, didn't realize that I was missing words and had typos. But you got the gist of what i'm saying.

7.62 is significantly cheaper simply because more companies make it and at larger quantities which means competition, which means better value. Business 101.

So what I meant to say is that when your choosing 47 vs 74, then remember to consider the ammo prices and availability. Huge diff when it comes to availability at that. Can't find 5.45 easily in say Bass Pro, Cabelas, or Wally World (which is the cheapest, obviously) where it's most popular among avid shooters. Matter of fact, i'm not even sure Wal-mart sells 5.45.

Don't get too technical in terms of grammar on gun forums as you'll become more and more disappointed then if that's the case. This isn't a forum for the scholarly or academia; as long as you get their point, leave it be.

To get even, I can see grammatical errors on your part too. '......' is not even proper usage. There's only '...' & '....'. Didn't go to a university or college did you? If so, you probably got a C or a D in english composition?

Ughh
March 3, 2010, 10:19 PM
grilledcheese,
Fine looking AK you have there!;)
Indeed :what:

Gelgoog
March 3, 2010, 10:48 PM
http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1014

AK74 built on Bulgarian parts/barrel....$499
for the money you are getting alot.

Dimis
March 3, 2010, 11:32 PM
there are no US manufacturers of 5.45mm

http://www.hornadyle.com/products/detail.php?id=72&sID=147
http://www.hornady.com/store/5.45X39-60-gr-V-MAX-Steel-Case/

hornady does

Skillet
March 3, 2010, 11:37 PM
What's the difference between the two?

I know that may sound like a dumb question but they look the same to me.

xx7grant7x
March 3, 2010, 11:48 PM
i like the look of the bulgarian that jg sales is selling, might swap out the black synthetic for wood later but for 399$ i'll see what it's all about, one on the way now.... nodak spud receiver too...

http://www.jgsales.com/images/1%20BULG%20AK72%20NDS-2%20545X39%20(15-1850).jpg

Maverick223
March 4, 2010, 02:01 AM
hornady doesI'll admit that I didn't realize that they were coming out with it...but it is "pending R&D" so it isn't out yet. That would make the decision a bit easier, but at least for now I would still remain cautious of purchasing a rifle that shoots 5.45x39mm.

Ughh
March 4, 2010, 02:08 AM
What's the difference between the two?

I know that may sound like a dumb question but they look the same to me.
No, it's not a dumb Q, skillet. There are no dumb questions when it comes to learning.

R u asking the diff btwn the two Hornady loads, or do I not get what u mean?

upon first glance, I think the first is nickle plated with perhaps better quality powder. The bullets appear to be the same: 60gr Vmax but the latter cartridge is just steel cased. Overall steel casing is cheaper among the various case materials. In addition, most ranges don't allow steel and aluminum cased cartridges like many of the Wolf stuff and CCI Blazer aluminum simply because of reloading difficulties w/ these materials, and the shooting range not being able to resell them to reloaders.

hope that helped :)

CZUB
March 4, 2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.tnguns.com/shop/index.php...oducts_id=1014

AK74 built on Bulgarian parts/barrel....$499
for the money you are getting alot.
Actually it's $399 shipped. There's a coupon code floating on AK forum in TGI section.

7.62 is significantly cheaper simply because more companies make it and at larger quantities which means competition, which means better value. Business 101.
New production ammo is about the same at $.20/round. ATG has brown bear 7.62 for $200/1,000 and silver bear 5.45 for $150/750.
Surplus 5.45 is significantly cheaper.

Skillet
March 4, 2010, 06:13 PM
R u asking the diff btwn the two Hornady loads, or do I not get what u mean?

No, I was asking the difference between the AK74 and the AK47

Maverick223
March 4, 2010, 07:46 PM
No, I was asking the difference between the AK74 and the AK47There are other minor differences, but the main difference is the ammunition. AK47=7.62x39mm and AK74=5.45x39mm.

Ughh
March 4, 2010, 11:43 PM
No, I was asking the difference between the AK74 and the AK47
*Sigh* stupid me :p

Dimis
March 5, 2010, 05:21 AM
hmm sorry i didnt realize the hornady loads hadnt come out yet i just remembered a guns and ammo review from last year stating that they were releasing them i figured by now it was out i apologize for not looking at the site more thoroughly

i can guess that since we are discussing the AK that it should be common knowledge we all meant 7.62x39

grilledcheese
March 6, 2010, 03:37 PM
Well I've managed to make a horse's rear end out of myself, as in a previous post I referred to the Lancaster Arms AK74 I purchased as "perfectly functioning".
Technically, I guess that would be incorrect. While the rifle does feed and fire every time, many of the bullets come out of the barrel tumbling.

See my post here:
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=491989&page=4

I profusely apologize, and will now put myself out to pasture.

Jeffrey

AmEngRifles
March 7, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hey LOOK! I found 2 pennies right here in my opinion purse! lol.

Search for and find any of the SAR Romanian series.

SAR-1= 7.62x39
SAR-2= 5.45x39
SAR-3= 5.56x45

There are wholly built in Romania and while they aren't the best looking, some of them are not bad either, really depends on the stocks. Most are just plain, ugly wood with no grain. Every once in a while, you find one with some grain to it. Check out this SAR-1. Not a bad price.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=160149143

I have an SAR-2 and it has never given me a day of trouble. I hear that is not the case with the WASR10. I guess the "rebuild" process to a new receiver, just wasn't done with quality or proper jigs and fixtures.

The Romanian SARs are very serviceable guns. I suspect at least the Romanians had some Russian advisers at some point helping them get their manufacturing set up, or at least they had competent people who stole the design and knew a little something about making guns.

This series does not come with any muzzle device, but you can retro fit with a new sight block and have a threaded end which will then take a flash suppressor or a muzzle break.

OR, if you can fin one of the Maadi imports at the intermediate stage. They have thumb-hole stocks and tack welded muzzle thread covers, but most have threaded barrels. These might also be had for about 600, maybe less. These are the 7.62x39 models. I do not believe Maadi ever made 5.45x39 models.

If you had the opportunity to shot one of 5.45x39 models, you would fall in love with it. No recoil at all. Easy, fast follow up shots. Small women have no problem shooting the rifle. The 7.62x39 is certainly not bad recoil, but compared to the 5.45, it is certainly more noticeable.

I think with the "home grown", you do have trouble finding a decent build until you get into the over 800 category. The come block countries have lower wages, so they can build them and sell them for American dollars at a lower price.

One other sage bit of advice. It is not a HUGE deal, but if you think you don't want to deal with corrosive ammo, buy an SAR-3 in .223. Read a little about cleaning up after corrosive ammo. Some people don't care for the extra work. At least with the .223, you can buy American ammo and not have to worry. DO NOT TRUST any Comm Block country ammo in any Soviet calibers. I trusted a box of 5.45x39 that claimed to be "non-corrosive" and it rusted the s*** out of a barrel. I treat ALL comm block calibers as though it was corrosive.

Say, I think that was a three pennies version of my advice! Hope it helps. Have fun and happy hunting!

Maverick223
March 7, 2010, 09:41 PM
Say, I think that was a three pennies version of my advice!Highway robbery...I demand a refund! :neener:

AmEngRifles
March 7, 2010, 11:15 PM
Here is a Maadi to which I refer.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=159723623

averius
March 8, 2010, 09:03 AM
How do the Lancaster AK's 47s/74 variants compared to the arsenal saigas? in terms of quality I mean.

Maverick223
March 8, 2010, 12:01 PM
How do the Lancaster AK's 47s/74 variants compared to the arsenal saigas? in terms of quality I mean.WRT the Lancaster milled receiver version the quality is heavier. IMO there really isn't a better AK pattern rifle than a Saiga (converted in a garage by someone with basic metalworking skills or a company that specializes in conversions).

Ughh
March 9, 2010, 12:26 AM
WRT the Lancaster milled receiver version the quality is heavier. IMO there really isn't a better AK pattern rifle than a Saiga (converted in a garage by someone with basic metalworking skills or a company that specializes in conversions).

Aren't Saigas incapable of accepting hi-cap magazines? I think, if i remember right, Saigas require cutting out parts of the bottom of the receiver to accept hi-cap mags

Please correct me if i'm wrong because i'm considering a Galil if this is the case.

Maverick223
March 9, 2010, 12:44 AM
Aren't Saigas incapable of accepting hi-cap magazines?Yes and no...per 922r they cannot legally accept greater than a 10rnd magazine because it then becomes unsporting. To remedy this you need to replace several (typically 4+) parts to bring the official count (ATF only counts certain parts) down to 10 or less foreign made parts. You also need to install a bullet guide for cheap, reliable commie mags, but this is a simple and inexpensive addition. Saiga is about as good as an AK gets IMO.

The process you are referring to is the conversion of WASRs (most are pre-converted, or if older models have since been converted by a previous owner), where the magazine well is smaller than standard, requiring special 10rnd WASR magazines.

Ughh
March 9, 2010, 07:23 PM
Smart man.

Thnx, Maverick. :D

Maverick223
March 9, 2010, 07:49 PM
NP Ughh, glad to be of service.

bludog_3
March 24, 2010, 12:15 PM
I love my Arsenal SGL-31. With FFL and Shipping I purchased for a bit over $800. I'm getting 2 MOA at 100 yards with iron sights shooting surplus military ammo I get from AIM at 13.8 cents a round shipped. Plan on picking up a red dot for it. Love the looks of the Russian Red (Lancaster) sold by Atlantic Arms. Plan on picking that up as well.

M1key
March 24, 2010, 12:58 PM
Go with the Arsenal '74s and avoid the problematic Lancasters and CAI Tantals...

Balog
March 24, 2010, 06:33 PM
I'm a bit puzzled here. The OP states he already has a converted Saiga. So what is he looking for out of this rifle? Was the conversion done poorly and he wants a replacement for it? Is it unsatisfactory in some way and he wants a different AK to rectify a shortfall?

Ignition Override
March 24, 2010, 09:12 PM
Russia appears to be the only country which produces 5.45x39 ammo, and even though they export the low-cost 7.62x39 which most of us prefer, this caliber is also manufactured down the road near Little Rock.

Will there continue to be enough low-cost 5.45x39 available in the US, in case we ever have some sort of trade war with Russia, or restrict imports?

Quentin
March 24, 2010, 10:26 PM
Good points, Ignition Override! That's the main reason my AK is 7.62x39.

regal
March 31, 2010, 05:43 AM
I'm looking at buying a AK-74, can't decide between a TGI Bulgarian with original barrel or trying to convert a Saiga. Those seem to be the best low cost options. I want to make it look like a romanian with a wire folding stock and donkey dick forearm. The Wasr-2 would be perfect but they are too expensive now. I am afraid the WASR-2 has issues with the non-dimpled reciever and others.

The Saiga 5.45x39 for $300 is such a deal, I just have zero gun smithing skills, hate to ruin it.

TEC
March 31, 2010, 07:01 AM
Bought this Valmet years ago. It is .223 Rem. But I fear it was more expensive than your stated price range even back in the 1980's. And don't know if it is Kevlar, but it definitely has a plastic stock.

http://i306.photobucket.com/albums/nn270/tcups/P1020375-1.jpg

Atlantic Firearms
March 31, 2010, 08:41 AM
The Arsenal rifles are not totally free of problems but have a excellent track record and are a good solid rifle for the money !! We just got a few of these AK 54 R Dragunov Style Carbines in from Waffen Werks they are pretty sweet !!

http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/data/default/images/catalog/large/AK54R.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "Ak47 / ak74 which ak to buy?" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!