52 gr BTHP bullets

PDA

ole farmerbuck
February 27, 2010, 09:06 PM
I was at the gunshow today and found some 52gr BTHP bullets w/cannelure. Who makes em like that? The vendor said they were Hornady but mine dont have cannelures. Anyway, i bought a bunch and they shoot just fine out of my 16" AR.

If you enjoyed reading about "52 gr BTHP bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 27, 2010, 09:23 PM
whoops. never mind.....

Oh ...with cannelure....dunno. :o

billybob44
February 27, 2010, 09:44 PM
I was at the gunshow today and found some 52gr BTHP bullets w/cannelure. Who makes em like that? The vendor said they were Hornady but mine dont have cannelures. Anyway, i bought a bunch and they shoot just fine out of my 16" AR.
You have shot some already-after just purchased today?? Wow you're a fast processor..

ole farmerbuck
February 27, 2010, 09:59 PM
No need of wasting any time! I have it pretty good as far as reloading goes. I step out of the reloading room and go about ten steps to the bench. Which is why i've never seen a range. None around here.

Come on Walkalong, tell me the brand. There is no way they're Hornady is there? He had them with 40 and 55 v-max bullets. I didnt notice the cannelure till i had them in the pickup. Oh well. Only one vendor had even heard of IMR 8208 so there was no chance of finding any there.

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 07:52 AM
Wow. I cant believe i have bought such rare bullets!:D Anybody know who could have made them? Maybe i'd better go get more?

Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 09:16 AM
Factory "oops" perhaps, sold off as blemish's etc?

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 11:54 AM
They might be i guess. I called the guy i bought them from this morning. (just happed to have his cell #) and he swears they're Hornady. I havent tried any in my 20'' AR but they shot good in the 16" AR. Day off today Walk?

JimKirk
February 28, 2010, 12:14 PM
I looked at every major bullet makers web site. As far as I can tell no one makes such a product, are you sure they are even real bullets? Just joking! :D

Really, I have not found any listed, they could have been an over run for some special private reloader. If you can purchase a "large" enough run, most makers will make what ever you can afford.

If they shoot good, that all that counts... If they shoot out the truck window... at ten mph and a 40 mph cross wind ... they are good enough!:D

Jimmy K

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 12:23 PM
Well the wind is up to about 30 and gaining. About time to test em i guess. I will call Hornady tomorrow and ask about them. I guess i'll head back to the show and get a few more.

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 12:25 PM
Here's a cell ph pic.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/bullets.jpg

wcwhitey
February 28, 2010, 07:44 PM
Put em on the scale. Maybe they are 55 grainers? Bill

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 09:28 PM
Put em on the scale. Maybe they are 55 grainers? Bill
I checked them. All real close to 52.0 Does anyone make a 55gr BTHP? I bet Walkalong is right, they forgot to turn off the cannelure maker after they made 55gr sp w/c. mMe dunno. :) I have some loaded with IMR 8208,Reloader 10x and BLC-2 for testing tomorrow if weather permits.

Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 09:34 PM
What if they turn out to be the best dang bullets you ever shot? You'll never be able to get more! :eek:

:neener:

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 09:36 PM
That would be my luck! I ended up with 1750. Got the last he had.

Rollis R. Karvellis
February 28, 2010, 09:48 PM
Is your 16" a 1x9 what kind of groups did you get?

NCsmitty
February 28, 2010, 09:52 PM
I have some similar to those type of bullets that were blemish buys from Midwayusa. I never did figure out their maker, but they shoot well and that's what counts. I found that the cannelure position varied some between bullets, and was visible if you lined some up on their bases. I guess that's what made them blems. I don't use the cannelure so it's not a issue.

NCsmitty

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 10:15 PM
Is your 16" a 1x9 what kind of groups did you get?
With 25.0gr of 335 yesterday I had 3shots touching and 1....well, the wind must have blown it to the left 1/2". I was happy with them so went back today and got the rest of what he had.

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 10:16 PM
Oh yea, this AR is 16 and 1 in 9. Sorry bout that.

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 10:20 PM
I have some similar to those type of bullets that were blemish buys from Midwayusa. I never did figure out their maker, but they shoot well and that's what counts. I found that the cannelure position varied some between bullets, and was visible if you lined some up on their bases. I guess that's what made them blems. I don't use the cannelure so it's not a issue.

NCsmitty
I seated these to 2.245 which was at the bottom of the cannelure no crimping. The cannelures are all in the same place in the bullets. The man i got them from stands by what he told me, they came from Hornady. I dont know but like you said, if they shoot good, who cares.:)

Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 10:24 PM
I guess when you run out you'll just have to call Hornady and ask em to cannelure a few more 52 Gr match bullets for ya. :D

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 10:31 PM
I guess when you run out you'll just have to call Hornady and ask em to cannelure a few more 52 Gr match bullets for ya. :D
You mean 'screw up' some more for me? ha I'm going to call them tomorrow. I do find it hard to believe they're Hornadys. Come to think about, hard to believe they're any companys.

NVMM
February 28, 2010, 11:05 PM
This interested me. I scrounged around my bullet stash and the only bullets I had with cannelures were Remington's. I looked in some old Hornady books and they did (maybe still do) make a 55 gr. FMJ.
Hey! as long as they shoot well...
Let us know if you find out what they are.

ole farmerbuck
February 28, 2010, 11:08 PM
I sure will. I have a bunch of Hornady 55gr soft point bullets w/c but these look just like their 52grBTHP w/o cans.

JimKirk
March 1, 2010, 12:38 AM
Here is some 10X data:

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/powderlist.aspx?type=1&powderid=24&cartridge=46

Jimmy K

ole farmerbuck
March 1, 2010, 06:40 AM
Thanks JimKirk, i have 4 each of 22.0, 22.5 and 23gr. loaded and ready.

Rollis R. Karvellis
March 1, 2010, 08:33 AM
I have picked up about 5-600 Hornaday FMJBTC over the last year or so. They shoild be new becuse their in the fancie 3-D boxes.

ole farmerbuck
March 1, 2010, 08:36 AM
HP's? Thats whats going on here.

ole farmerbuck
March 1, 2010, 11:40 AM
Well the mystery is solved. They are Hornady bullets. Only sold as bulk. This info came from Hornady.

counterclockwise
March 1, 2010, 11:50 AM
Delete

Roccobro
March 1, 2010, 12:10 PM
How many is "bulk"? If they are dandies, maybe we need to open up a group buy to meet a small run from Hornady.

Justin

ole farmerbuck
March 1, 2010, 09:42 PM
It was cold this evening and the ole eyes were watering so i gave up. Suppose to be nicer tomorrow so maybe i can try again but this what i did tonight with the 52's. I know, unacceptable but we'll see what happens tomorrow.
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/badshot.jpg

JimKirk
March 2, 2010, 12:17 AM
Could it have been from the 40 mph wind blowing sand out of the floor board of the truck in to those eyes?:D

Jimmy K

ole farmerbuck
March 2, 2010, 07:58 AM
Could it have been from the 40 mph wind blowing sand out of the floor board of the truck in to those eyes?:D

Jimmy K
Well JimKirk, believe it or not, not this time.:) It was cold though and these were shot with the 16" carbine. Carry handle with scope up in the clouds! My hands get cold it the temperature falls below 40* and the eyes start watering. Yep, i'm a wimp but i wanted to give them a fare test.

ole farmerbuck
March 2, 2010, 10:47 PM
Well about the same ole thing this evening. 4 shots with 24.5gr of 8208 out of the 16" AR. Maybe i need some wind.:)
http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/nn88/farmerbuck/fiftytwo.jpg

If you enjoyed reading about "52 gr BTHP bullets" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!