help with new to me powder throw

PDA

bomb dropper
February 28, 2010, 04:17 PM
I picked up a RCBS powder measure at a garage sale real cheap. its missing its lever/arm on the side but other than that its complete. The problem is I cant get it to move. it wont budge at all its got a little rust but its doesn't look like thats whats stopping it. I put a couple screws in the side the wedged a screwdriver between them but still nothing

any help?

If you enjoyed reading about "help with new to me powder throw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 04:30 PM
Kroil, or some other penetrating product to loosen it up. The tolerances on it are tight, and all it takes is a tiny bit of rust/crud to lock it up.

bomb dropper
February 28, 2010, 04:51 PM
is there any way to take it apart to clean it good?

mbopp
February 28, 2010, 05:45 PM
I read somewhere that automatic transmission fluid and acetone mixed 50/50 was a cheap, effective penetrating oil. Save a few ounces of this mix the next time you mix a batch of Ed's Red.

Friendly, Don't Fire!
February 28, 2010, 05:47 PM
Problem is you don't want to destroy the green plastic cylinder.

Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 06:59 PM
is there any way to take it apart to clean it good?After you have soaked it well overnight, and have it moving, remove the metering drum and slide the drum out the side.

JimKirk
February 28, 2010, 07:44 PM
Soak it in Kroil, keep it off the green plastic, remove the metering stem. Bump the center rotor part out with a hammer, don't go wild and beat the crap out of it, but it may take some force to get it out. Then sand it smooth with a very fine sandpaper or emory cloth. If you have a buffing wheel use that to polish it up, just make sure you don't take any metal off, because it has to fit fairly tight to work right.

I am speaking from experience, all my reloading equipment got wet after a storm blew the roof off my reloading building. Dies, press, trimmer, everything except my scale got rusted.

Go to the first page of this link and down to post # 22 to see for yourself:

http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=500593&highlight=RCBS+paint

This product is one of the best penetrating fluid out there, works better than Kroil which is dang good, this stuff stinks like concentrated Owl crap.

https://www.essentialube.com/shop/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=2

Jimmy K

Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 08:54 PM
Book marked that Essential Lube JimKirk

Marine Pal (http://users.techline.com/palfac/index.htm#1) is the best penetrant I have ever tried personally. Magic stuff.

bomb dropper
February 28, 2010, 09:05 PM
Well after a little looking I found out how to take it apart. I pulled it all apart and cleaned it with CLP (i know that stuff removes rust) the took a soft wire brush and knocked off the bad spots and cleaned the rest with an AP brush then I wiped it all down and let it dry out.

After I put it all back together I threw about 15-20 charges set at 2 different weights a 25gr and a 4.5gr then weighed each one on my RCBS 304 and it held to less then a 1/4 of a grain. not bad for a powder measurer that has been in a barn for at least 10yrs (owner wasn't sure) and some old unique that doesn't usually meter well.

Walkalong
February 28, 2010, 09:30 PM
Excellent. The RCBS measures are good stuff.

JimKirk
February 28, 2010, 11:57 PM
Glad you got it going, I think you like it too.

Jimmy K

If you enjoyed reading about "help with new to me powder throw" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!