Powder Problem

PDA

greg1
February 28, 2010, 06:44 PM
I bought a pound of IMR 4895 several years ago and it's been kept in a climate controlled condition. I attempted to load some .300 Savage loads today and noticed the powder had a red color. The can had rusted on the inside. Is this due to the powder decomposing and reacting with the inside of the can? I guess I need to dump it. This is my first post on this fine web site. Looking forward to contributing what I can.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Offfhand
February 28, 2010, 06:53 PM
Yep, it's worthless. Flush it. It 's amazing how a can of powder can go bad even when kept in controlled environment. It's like a bad apple in a barrel causing it. I've had powder go bad when the same powder in identical can next to it remain fresh and good.

Shoney
February 28, 2010, 07:01 PM
greg1

WELCOME TO THR!!!

Another sign that the powder is bad is the smell. If it smells acrid or "unpleasant", it is probably bad. Powders that smell "sweet" from the solvents, alcohols and acetones, it is good to go.

Good Shooting!

7.62 Nato
February 28, 2010, 07:06 PM
I've heard powder is a good source of nitrogen. Put it in your garden if you have one.

greg1
February 28, 2010, 07:59 PM
I had a friend tell me the same thing about the garden. Thanks for all the replies! Sure hurts to throw away a pound of powder though.

Randy1911
February 28, 2010, 10:15 PM
The inside of the can being rusted should have been your first indication that something was wrong. It got moisture inside somehow. If it was in a metal can, how old was this powder? I have not seen a metal can in years.

medalguy
March 1, 2010, 12:48 AM
I just finished up a couple of metal cans of Unique that I bought waaaaay back about 1980 or so. The powder was fine and shoots great. I'm not sure when the metal cans went away but it was quite a few years back.

If you enjoyed reading about "Powder Problem" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!