Got attacked by a huge dog

PDA

8Balls
January 21, 2003, 05:59 AM
Im into extreme sports. (Jogging.) On sunday I was running my usual 10 km (5.8 miles) run. I was like 500 meters from my home when i heard a running dog behind me. Then it jumped and paws and eyeteeths tore my jacket to pieces. I have some small scars in my back and a nice set of bite marks on my left side. I managed to get a grip and threw the dog (Believe me, it was a big one!) to general direction of the owner and ran like hell. I was unarmed at the time (actually ïm unarmed 6 days/week). I had my gerber knive but i would have been practically useless if against the angry dog. Careless dog owners should be minced to dog food... :cuss:

Sorry for my bad English.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got attacked by a huge dog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Climb14er
January 21, 2003, 06:21 AM
when I was twelve. Ripped up my arm.

Now, if a dog ever attacked me or the family again, I'd either shoot it or take a baseball bat to it. Self defense.

CASE CLOSED! And I'm very animal friendly.

JOE
January 21, 2003, 06:29 AM
carry a kel-tec p32.......

Kahr carrier
January 21, 2003, 06:46 AM
File a police report,then SUE.:what:

8Balls
January 21, 2003, 07:06 AM
Sue? Finnish system just doesnt work that way. I could probably get 170$ max for pain and suffering.. Not worth the trouble.

NewShooter78
January 21, 2003, 08:43 AM
Same thing happend to a friend of mine back in college. He was jogging as usual in his neighborhood, but he had is CCW with him. He didn't want to shoot the dog but it was a big pit bull and it was right on his tail. Now he's the biggest dog lover I know, but he was ready to shoot this animal with no remorse. But his gun jammed on him as he was running. Luckily he was almost home and he managed to jump his fense before the dog could take a bite out of him.

FPrice
January 21, 2003, 08:59 AM
Glad to hear that it was not worse. I was attacked by a big dog when I was about 10. Was riding my bike past it's yard when it ran out and grabbed me around the knee, then let go. Some punctures but nothing bad. Turned out the dog had been tortured by some other kids on bikes and it felt it was defending itself.

Luckily it did not make me scared of dogs. In fact, I seem to get along with them quite well. However, if another dog ever attacks me, or my family, or anyone near me I will probably end up seriously hurting said dog. With whatever is at hand. Dog attacks are nothing to take lightly.

cordex
January 21, 2003, 08:59 AM
New_Shooter,
His gun "jammed on him as he was running"?
Was he shooting over his shoulder or something? Or was he trying to load it on the run?

Waitone
January 21, 2003, 09:10 AM
I don't know your laws but here in the colonies we can obtain chemical repellants such as pepper spray, tear gas,etc. A new version features a sticky foam that holds the chemicals on the face. Looks unpleasant to say the least.

They come in small hand held containers. I just purchased three for my daughter. One for her keychain and two for the hotel desk she works at after hours. Company policy is no guns and last week across town a badguy walked in and murdered the nightwatch clerk.

NewShooter78
January 21, 2003, 09:18 AM
Cordex,
He was trying to load a round by pulling the slide back all while he was running full speed while pointing the gun down and behind him at the dog. When he told me this (almost 4 years ago now) I didn't know too much about guns, so the details went in one ear and out the other. It was a small .380 and I don't know what manufacturer is was either. I guess I shouldn't say jammed but failed to fire. It happened in a matter of seconds from the dog first running at him and him making it over the fence.

DamnedDirtyApe
January 21, 2003, 09:30 AM
usual 10 km (5.8 miles) run.

Not to be a know-it-all (I am!) but 10k is 6.2 miles.

Maybe the dog was a math major!!

DDA ... training for a half-marathon in March.

COHIBA
January 21, 2003, 10:53 AM
i sprayed a lab last year w/ fox labs. he bolted as i sprayed so i really didnt get him "good" but he stuck his face in the dirt trying to rub the stuff off then kept running thru bushes trying to do the same howling the whole time like i had a hot poker to him. i saw him a couple of weeks ago walking up the street and when he saw me he took off running full blast in the other direction.
a lasting impression is what that dog needs.

10-Ring
January 21, 2003, 10:55 AM
I had once been chased by a dog while on a run...not a terribly big dog, but aggressive non the less. I turned around and looked for the owner. I spoke w/ him and informed him of the behavior of his dog and to keep it leashed or on his property. I also added that if his dog came after me again, I would have to defend myself.
THE NEXT DAY :fire: (dispite sounding cooperative, the owner still left his dog loose), the dog came after me again, but this time I was prepared. I used a good amount of pepper spray on it. I haven't seen the dog since :scrutiny:

bogie
January 21, 2003, 11:03 AM
When I was a kid, kept getting chased by one farmer's dogs while I was on my bike. A piece of pipe taped to the handlebars solved that one...

A while back, I got home late at night, and was confronted by a pack of strays (the college kids get pets, then they go home for the summer, so they ditch 'em, and they run in the park, kill zoo animals, etc...), and basically backed into my apartment building - all I had on me were knives, and I was darned worried.

Mike Irwin
January 21, 2003, 11:16 AM
Supposedly here in Fairfax County a few years ago a jogger was attacked by a dog and bitten pretty badly.

The owner denied it to police, etc., but it finally came down to a canine dentist taking bite impressions from the dog and matching them to the bites.

Blackhawk
January 21, 2003, 12:02 PM
I'd definitely choose OC over a gun for dogs. IMO, it's more effective with a much less complicated aftermath.

"Just dogs" not on their own property can usually be deterred by charging them with arms stretched wide and high and screaming at them. Not knowing WHAT is attacking them, they'll usually turn tail. If you scare them once, they won't mess with you.

Pit bulls and trained attack dogs aren't "just dogs." They don't seem to feel pain or fear, so if one's after you, you've got a problem.

Anything running away from a dog is something to chase, so jogging is a provocative behavior, and you should be ready and alert.

4v50 Gary
January 21, 2003, 12:19 PM
Glad you got away without any major injuries. Is it legal to carry a fixed blade knife in Finland? If so, I would and next time the dog comes, gut it. Vicious animals are only good for feritilizer.

PATH
January 21, 2003, 12:19 PM
I carry pepper spray for such situations. Fortunately I have never been attacked. I guess there is always a first time.

Steel
January 21, 2003, 12:42 PM
IMHO:

pepper spray sucks unless it is the "bear" deterrent type & size.
Perps sometimes just wince in pain when sprayed, then get peeved and come back in a fury -- maybe that 120# pooch will do similarly (assuming you hit you target's eyes or nose!)?

[as a funny aside (impractical)...if you want to freak an animal out, try spraying some Endust through a small flame (i.e. lighter) -- it make for a small flamethrower and the dogs will run in fear -- there is just something about fire and the animal world]

Blackhawk
January 21, 2003, 01:01 PM
[as a funny aside (impractical)...if you want to freak an animal out, try spraying some Endust through a small flame (i.e. lighter) -- it make for a small flamethrower and the dogs will run in fear -- there is just something about fire and the animal world]This is funny in retrospect, but it wasn't at the time. As a kid, I was reading the label on a can of hairspray and noticed "flammable". Hmmm.... Did what you suggested, and had a fine flamethrower.

Then I began to feel weird. Got out of that room in an instant. Turns out that that particular stuff formed phosgene when burned. Later I found out what phosgene is -- a deadly gas....

TarpleyG
January 21, 2003, 01:10 PM
Sue? Finnish system just doesnt work that way. I could probably get 170$ max for pain and suffering.. Not worth the trouble.
Should be that way here too but we have more ambulance chasing lawyers than common sense in this country...

Blackhawk
January 21, 2003, 01:19 PM
Should be that way here too but we have more ambulance chasing lawyers than common sense in this country...The lawyers aren't the problem. The juries are. If juries quit awarding ridiculous amounts for piddling damages, the lawyers would be out of business or have to find some useful work to do like maybe washing cars....

Waitone
January 21, 2003, 02:04 PM
Somewhere in our legal system there needs to be a step where the court determines that a suit has merit and therefore can proceed.

The other problem has to do with the ability of plantiffs to shop for a jury. Key areas in the US are prime suit territory because the jury pool is pliable.

MitchSchaft
January 21, 2003, 02:43 PM
i sprayed a lab last year

A full-blood lab? Are you sure it was going to attack you?

Guntalk
January 21, 2003, 02:50 PM
>>A full-blood lab? Are you sure it was going to attack you?<<

Our full-blooded chocolate Lab bit our 1-year old son in the face.

Labs do bite.

The big, white Lab on the floor behind me as I type this is a pussycat, as are most, but there are individuals of any breed which will bite.

MitchSchaft
January 21, 2003, 02:55 PM
Yikes, I guess I shouldn't think of them as big teddy bears anymore.

HS/LD
January 21, 2003, 03:06 PM
People, without realizing it, are far more dangerous than dogs, yet they are conditioned to being afraid of a severely limited quadruped.

Remembering that dogs are pack animals and understanding their basic biomechanics. It is, or rather should be, that no able bodied adult could not quickly defend themselves against a single dog.

Any Pitbull or German Shepard that attacks me won’t be alive long regardless of whether or not I am armed.

Oh, BTW I am a dog owner. A beautiful German Shepard for 13 years and another for 6 years now.

Regards,
HS/LD

Skunkabilly
January 21, 2003, 03:09 PM
Glad you're OK for the most part...can you use OC in Finland?

Edward429451
January 21, 2003, 03:14 PM
All these pistol packers on this forum and no one had a gun when attacked by a dog? For shame!

Just dogs" not on their own property can usually be deterred by charging them with arms stretched wide and high and screaming at them. Not knowing WHAT is attacking them, they'll usually turn tail. If you scare them once, they won't mess with you.

In my experiance, this is not necessarily true. My dog attack (1st) thats what I did, stretched out arms yelling, splashed him with hot coffee. Did the trick, no bite. 2 to 3 days later the same dog attacked me again. One 45acp in the ground in front of the dog turned him though.

I feel that pepper spray in defense of a dog is like a 32acp against a huge hopped up on drugs felon...iffy at best. Me no like those odds...:scrutiny:

tetchaje1
January 21, 2003, 03:22 PM
I think it is more of a force continuum, Edward.

No need to shoot a dog (or a person for that matter) that could have been stopped with OC. If OC doesn't work, then move up to the next level. If you are ever placed in front of a jury you can show that you wre trying to use the non-lethal means first, and that you then had no choice but to continue up to the next level.

Funny that I say that, though, considering I just usually carry my piece without any OC backup. I may need to rethink my carry tactics...

cordex
January 21, 2003, 03:24 PM
New Shooter,
A good reason to carry a round in the chamber, I think.

Edward429451
January 21, 2003, 04:12 PM

interesting theory. But what happens when the dog continues his advance after being sprayed? Wrestle with an OC wet dog? Shift gears dropping OC and drawing pistol? I agree that the mathematics on paper of the theory sound good, but when was the last time a plan fell into place as theorized? (Not often enough to count on.)

My theory of force continueum is draw early, put one in the GROUND to try and non-violently turn dog, if not, its only milliseconds instead of 2 seconds to get a gun trained on the beast.

Not meant as advice, but I refuse to put myself at greater risk to try and satisfy the poo poo and the threat of jail. I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. First things first.

(Besides, one round of 45 is cheaper than OC.)

Bahadur
January 21, 2003, 04:27 PM
>>A full-blood lab? Are you sure it was going to attack you?<<

Our full-blooded chocolate Lab bit our 1-year old son in the face.

Labs do bite.Dogs of all breeds can bite. Sure, certain breeds are more protective or aggressive than others, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO excuse for a dog that attacks a human without provocation (by provocation, I mean something like trying to attack the owner in the presence of the dog).

A dog that bites and does to repeatedly without provocation is a product of poor breeding and poor training/socialization and possibly a product of human abuse. It should be destroyed immediately.

In most jurisdictions, a dog that bites so WILL be destroyed. The key is to report such incidents to the proper public organizations (like animal control).

Most municipalities also have leash laws. Owners who do not maintain proper control of dogs that bite humans are in for a costly civil suit and possibly for criminal prosecution.

BTW, I am a certified dog nut. I own two that I rescued, trained and re-socialized. Dog ownership can be extremely rewarding. But like all things it comes with something. It's called individual responsibility - people ought to have some if they are going to have animals that have prey instincts.
People, without realizing it, are far more dangerous than dogs, yet they are conditioned to being afraid of a severely limited quadruped.You ever see a bear take off in a hurry upon seeing a dog? Why is the bear - with much greater physical attributes than a human - afraid of a dog? Because dogs are pack animals, where there is one, there is another, and then another and so forth.

I own two dogs. One of them comes from a breed that is rarely any heavier than 50 lbs. Yet, this breed has been known to kill mountain lions alone. There are reports of this breed killing Siberian tigers in packs of three or six. They also routinely kill wild boars.

Dogs CAN be very, very dangerous. I would NEVER underestimate the ability of a dog to impart some serious damage on a human being no matter how strong or well-trained the person is. But dogs can also be loving, cuddly, helpful animals. The difference is usually based on... the owner's responsibility and the exercise of it.

tetchaje1
January 21, 2003, 04:31 PM

interesting theory. But what happens when the dog continues his advance after being sprayed? Wrestle with an OC wet dog? Shift gears dropping OC and drawing pistol? I agree that the mathematics on paper of the theory sound good, but when was the last time a plan fell into place as theorized? (Not often enough to count on.)

Interesting (and valid) points, Edward.

Perhaps the same reason why I don't carry bear OC when up in the backcountry -- if it doesn't work the first time you are really up the proverbial creek.

Anybody else care to comment on this?

igor
January 21, 2003, 04:34 PM
OC is considered a highly concealable firearm (not kidding) in Finland - it's plenty easier to get your licence for any decent handgun than OC. In practice it's only available if you work odd hours, security, in a bar or club or a 24 hr gas station or such. And even then the licence will prohibit carrying not in conjunction with your work (to and from, in the general area... ).

Edged weapons are a strictly no-no, carry in public only for purposes as a tool or as part of the traditional attire, i.e. folk dance groups or such :p .

As the saying goes, one should try everything once except for the little sister and folk dancing.

---

Re: dog defence, to my great sorrow I happened to see TV footage from last summer, where a madman had barricaded himself in a gas station with a shotgun... the guy was in the pump area spraying gas around when a police dog was sent in.

The Alsatian hung on to his arm very nicely, only a plain looking leather (?) jacket in between, no effect on the freak... after just a couple of twists and turns he managed to turn the shotgun in his right hand against the dog. :cuss: :(

Apparently he was going for suicide by police - didn't succeed, though. They rarely do.

Bahadur
January 21, 2003, 04:39 PM
Too bad one can't carry spears around in most civilized areas. "Walking" sticks will do, though...

ball3006
January 21, 2003, 05:14 PM
Was walking around the block, one mile, and a setter type dog came running out of an open gate right at me barking. I turned toward the dog and pulled out my Benchmade. The owner heard the noise and came out to see what was going on. I was slowly backing away from the dog in the street. The woman saw me and said if I cut her dog she was going to call the cops. I told her to call the cops because if this dog bites me it is dead. She ran out and grabbed the dog by the collar and gave me a dirty look. I told her that I was going to file a complaint with animal control. I haven't had a problem since....chris3

FPrice
January 21, 2003, 05:54 PM
"Perhaps the same reason why I don't carry bear OC when up in the backcountry -- if it doesn't work the first time you are really up the proverbial creek.

Anybody else care to comment on this?"

At this point it is time for the last great act of defiance. Douse yourself with the OC spray and try to give the bear a bad case of heartburn.

:fire:

OF
January 21, 2003, 06:11 PM
He was trying to load a round by pulling the slide back all while he was running full speed while pointing the gun down and behind him at the dog.It happened in a matter of seconds...A fine example and commentary on why you should carry your gun with a round in the chamber.

- Gabe

standingbear
January 21, 2003, 06:22 PM
as mentioned before.if you run,itll chase you(though some dogs just dont get it about running alongside cars as they pass by-until they get run over )that mace spray is good stuff,sprayed a dog getting in the trash one early morning after cleaning it up countless times, waited for it inside the garage,blasted it good with its face buried in the overturned trash can-one blast musta hit his backside as he backed out to run away,it yelped all the way down the block until the yelping faded off in the distance-never saw it again or had problems with the trash..the dogs owner should have at least tried to make it right by paying damages the dog had done and had better conrtol over the dog(like a leash)

Blackhawk
January 21, 2003, 06:32 PM
Waitone wrote:Somewhere in our legal system there needs to be a step where the court determines that a suit has merit and therefore can proceed. There is. In federal court, it's a Motion for Summary Judgment, and every other court has something like it. It is, however, a pretty dumb lawyer who can't draft a lawsuit that can't pass an MSJ hearing.

In addition, a defendant can at any time file a motion to dismiss based on frivolity. Again, it's a dumb lawyer who can't draft a lawsuit that has judiciable merit.

There's no way around it. Our courts are a really screwed up mess because juries are often gullible and prone to make people rich just because life happens to them.

The old Accidental Death & Dismemberment insurance policies specified so many bucks for loss of an eye, finger, arm, etc., to the policy limits for death. Juries, however, are quite happy to award $millions for the accidental death of somebody with a remaining lifetime earning potential of a couple of hundred thousand dollars. And if it's a guy on dialysis who dies because of a screwup by the hospital staff, that's worth many $millions despite the fact that the guy was a diabetic whose kidneys had failed, which is why he was on dyalysis in the first place.

Lawyers somehow convince juries that punitive damages get paid out of an unlimited supply of money, but they don't. Every dollar that gets diverted unfairly is made up by higher prices or higher taxes. Tort law is to compensate people with money for damages, not to make them rich beyond any possible dream they had. The abuse has fostered the lawsuit craze and lawyers have no incentive to exercise restraint.

Reform is up to plain, ordinary folks. They need to exercise wisdom and discretion in the jury room. Fat chance.... :rolleyes:

rick458
January 21, 2003, 08:17 PM
My nieghbor has a psychotic dog, (and being a good nieghbor he keeps it inside the fence when he is not around),this thing defends its property with a vengence (makes a good watch dog) problem is he is a little fuzzy about the part where property on MY side of the fence is mine and he charges the fence and gate
with hate in his 65lb heart, he became MUCH calmer when I started carrying a Taurus 85CH in my pocket,
I thought I was going to have to shoot MY dog a few years ago
the Meter reader was in the back yard, ON TOP of my shed ,and holding a cabinet facing, the dogs (Mine and the nieghbors were pitching a fit).
so I, freshly awoke from sleep during graveyards take the five inch
into the back yard, shorts on crooked, and bad case of bed hair,
and now said Meter reader is really starting to worry, he says if I will be so kind as to hold the dog he will leave thusly, I went to grab "Sparky" (boxer ,lab, Bull terrier mix, about 70 lbs) when he stands his hair up and curls the teeth My face is about 12" from his buisness end when he did this, I shoved the barrel in his ear and dropped the safety and informed him I was going to blow his MF en head off and he calmed down quick. I safed the pistol picked up Spark and let the meter man out, I think the dog was either maced OR whacked with the cabinet facing MR was holding but he was not his usual self, as he is quite a gentle animal under all other conditions.
You must let the dogs KNOW that when SHTF that YOU will be doing the killing not them. they fully understand that, but you must be fully commited to stopping or killing the animal and let them know that Via body language.
As for the OC I think Shooting Times was testing Bear grade OC at the dump at Anchorage Alaska, the author said that after the first application of OC "The Bears refused to submit themselves for further testing" I LMAO at that line :evil:

Beav
January 21, 2003, 08:42 PM
It's a shame that in most cases the animal suffers because of the irresponsible owner.

DAL
January 21, 2003, 11:31 PM
The other problem has to do with the ability of plantiffs to shop for a jury.

I couldn't agree more. The ability to pick out jurors sympathetic to one's case is a true travesty of justice. Once it has been determined that the prospective juror is not related to either party, then a truly random selection process should be used. Yeah, like we'll ever see THAT. I fear jury stacking is here to stay. Plus, when a judge tells a jury they have to decide on a case using HIS interpretation of the law, not the law as it's written, well, brother, good luck. Personally, I'd rather take my chances with 12 randomly selected people off of the street than a tailor-made lynch mob.

Whenever I go jogging, I take my pepper spray, my S&W 642 .38 Spl., and my 70lb. Black Lab/Rottie mix dog to run interference should some one or some thing attack me.
DAL

P.S. Tom, nice to see you here. Keep up the good work with the show.

January 22, 2003, 12:04 AM
I personally wouldn't count on pepper spray. Several years ago I was getting ready to take my dog out for a walk. I told him to sit next to me on the porch while I locked the door. While my back was turned I heard a hissing sound and turned around to find the mailman pepper spraying my dog. The dog had never moved from the position of sit, and didn't move after being pepper sprayed. He didn't blink, growl, or react in any way to being pepper sprayed.

I asked the mailman why he pepper sprayed my dog and he said that he didn't want to take a chance with any dog. I was standing within two feet of the dog and the dog was on a leash. He could have simply said something to me. I would imagine that since this guy was obviously an idiot, the total lack of effect of the pepper spray was lost on him.

Bahadur
January 22, 2003, 01:50 AM
While my back was turned I heard a hissing sound and turned around to find the mailman pepper spraying my dog. The dog had never moved from the position of sit, and didn't move after being pepper sprayed. He didn't blink, growl, or react in any way to being pepper sprayed.Your dog is either supremely confident and does not mind "minor" annoyances or competely devoid of any protective tendencies.

Either way, the mail man is lucky that you had a complete control of the dog.

Some people do have an irrational fear of dogs that are plainly under complete owner control. Once, I was walking a dog, a Siberian Husky (naturally on a lead), on a sidewalk. She was heeling nicely to my left. It just so happened that two guys were walking toward me on the same side of the street. One of them suddenly looked down on my dog, screamed "IT'S A WOLF DOG!" and ran away at high speed! :confused:

My dog and I looked at each other (my dog had that "Did I do something wrong?" face). We were both very confused. The remaining man looked at me, looked at the dog and walked away rather briskly.

I will never figure out what was going through their minds.

rick458
January 22, 2003, 02:16 AM
Vacuum was going through their minds Bahadur

8Balls
January 22, 2003, 04:48 AM
"Glad you got away without any major injuries. Is it legal to carry a fixed blade knife in Finland?"

I think it is if the blade is under 8 cm long. (>8cm, "vaarallinen teräase"=assaultknife :D ). Gerber E-Z-OUT 450 is not a fixed blade knife...

8Balls
January 22, 2003, 04:52 AM
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The lawyers aren't the problem. The juries are. If juries quit awarding ridiculous amounts for piddling damages, the lawyers would be out of business or have to find some useful work to do like maybe washing cars....
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So thats it. We dont have juries and are doing just fine..

quote:
Glad you're OK for the most part...can you use OC in Finland?

Yep if get the permit... Why bother, our law says that OC-spray=gun when it comes to selfdefense. You have better chance of getting away in court if you use for example somekind of anti-corrosionspray or something... (I was in fear for my life and all had was this can. How could I have known that this thing melts his/her eyes out?

XLMiguel
January 22, 2003, 09:23 AM
10-4 on the irresponsible owners. I have heard some of the lamest excuses as to why they aren't controling their animals, when the dog laws are VERY clear in Fairfax County.

I have no desire to hurt someone's pet, but I have less desire to be a chewtoy. I respect a dog in its own yard, but on the street, off the leash, behaving badly, well, I 'll do what I have to do (who knows what goes thru the minds of hirbags?). I'm big and loud, and that's usually enough, but I've resortred to kicking or a stout stick on occaision. Thankfully, I've never had to shoot.

January 22, 2003, 12:23 PM
"Your dog is either supremely confident and does not mind "minor" annoyances or competely devoid of any protective tendencies.
Either way, the mail man is lucky that you had a complete control of the dog."

Based on other experiences, I would say it was the latter. First of all, I spent a lot of time training my dog. I mean like an hour a day, 365 days a year. In fact, when I got the dog at 7 weeks of age I was fortunate enough to be able to take the dog to work with me for over six months. During that six month time, my dog was never away from me for more than maybe 10 minutes at a time. This obviously made him a very social dog. I put him though a basic obediance class when he was around six months of age mainly to socialize him with other dogs since he already knew all the commands that were taught in the course. After he was one year old I participated with him twice a week in a schutzhund club for a couple years. He is confident to the point of arrogance. When walking him down the street, other dogs bark at him and he totally ignores them (they arn't even worth looking at or acknowleging in any way) unless it is another Rottweiler. If another Rottweiler is encountered, he stops dead in his tracks and turns to face a possible opponent worthy of his time and attention. As far as being protective, I had two break-ins that occured when I was not there. One at my house, and one in my pickup truck. Both burglers were severely savaged after which the dog stayed right where he was supposed to, dispite the fact that the door was now open because of the break-in.
Contrary to what most people believe, a dog is a product of his training. This includes bite work. A dog that has been trained to attack on command, or to aggressviely hold someone in place is a much safer dog than one that does this by instinct. The dog knows that this behavior is only tolorated when the dog is told to do so; not when the dog decides to do so.

Bahadur
January 22, 2003, 04:07 PM
Contrary to what most people believe, a dog is a product of his training.I agree completely unless exceptionally bad breeding is involved.
This includes bite work. A dog that has been trained to attack on command, or to aggressviely hold someone in place is a much safer dog than one that does this by instinct. The dog knows that this behavior is only tolorated when the dog is told to do so; not when the dog decides to do so.However, having trained to bite, this tedency has to be continuously trained and maintained.

If you enjoyed reading about "Got attacked by a huge dog" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!