Tumbler question

PDA

gdcpony
March 1, 2010, 04:29 PM
I have found a "VIBRA-TEK" vibrating tumbler. It looks in good shape, but has an unusual design mounted on some kind of a board with a spring steel plate? and a bucket for the media and cases.
Is this thing worth anything? I want a tumbler cheap, and it works, but is this type reliable? It would be about $25 and if it is a good deal I'll pounce, if not then I wait.
Thanks

Oh, I'll bookmark this so that if I find another one in my range I won't have to post a new thread to ask about it.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbler question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
gdcpony
March 1, 2010, 06:50 PM
Anyone?

lwknight
March 2, 2010, 01:43 AM
I think most known to be good tumblers cost about fifty bucks or more.
Get cheap media at the pet supply. Its called Lizard litter. They probably have both walnut and corncob if you hunt around. Much cheaper than buying it from a reloading supply.

otblue
March 2, 2010, 05:02 AM
Wow, that's an oldie (but not a goodie).

Works by having an electromagnet in the wooden base that cycles with your electricity supply and causes the pan to vibrate up and down. Predates the common use of todays vibratory cleaners which use an out of balance motor.

Had one, worked OK for awhile but the magnet gets hot quickly and burnt out. The company replaced the magnet and I've had it sitting in a cupboard for decades now. It really isn't worth anything as modern tumblers are so much bigger, better and quieter.

For just a bit more you can get the Cabelas/Berrys unit complete with a warranty. You will be much much happier with one of those.

nm3
March 2, 2010, 09:21 AM
I bought a vibratory tumbler at Harbor Freight for about $40 with a 20% off coupon. I've used it for a couple hours so far. Relatively quiet and did a great job on ~350 cases. I even picked up a spare tub for about $8 on sale with 4# of walnut shells. figured it was worth a try without spending $60+.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93252

gdcpony
March 2, 2010, 04:31 PM
Thanks. I won't pick it up then.

If you enjoyed reading about "Tumbler question" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!