Sako Vixen .223

PDA

ElToro
November 20, 2003, 01:03 PM
Can someone tell me the desirability of a pre '72 (pre Garcia ?) Sako Vixen ?
i understand its a short action .223 L461 serial # 1392xx its been offered to me with a vintage Leupold 1.5-5x scope for $850 i was told it has a bofors barrell... otherwise a clean 98+ it doesnt look shot up and abused. has a plastic buttplate. its a lovely rifle and im seriously considering it... a quick search on the gun auction sites turns up severel from NIB for 1200 to used for 750. anyone with a Sako serial number chart give me an approx year of manuf. ? any link to a sako chat board ?
bofors (sp) barrell desirability
my dad has a sweet sako Finnbear in .30-06 he bought new when he was about my age (about 1968) and ive put more rounds through it <50 in my life than he has ! he claims he doesnt like the stock... i think i need this little brother to it...
TIA
Tim

If you enjoyed reading about "Sako Vixen .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
TCHanson
November 21, 2003, 12:31 AM
Tim,

I fell for a Deluxe .223 with the fox head wood insert and engraving recently. I haven't got to shoot it yet.

I emailed Sako in Finland and it took several days for the girl to answer back. She was pretty informative. Meanwhile, before I heard back from her, I used the 10-10-9-8-7 and telephoned the factory directly and they put me through to a gunsmith. I enjoyed speaking to him but he had sketchy information.

Rich

By the way mine serial number starts with 888 and it was made in 1996.

Gordon
November 21, 2003, 01:50 AM
BUY IT ! BUY IT! THEY ARE THE BEST .223 case sized rifles ever made!!!!!:)

Clemson
November 21, 2003, 09:09 AM
I have a Sako L461 action with a .222 barrel on it. I bought it from Herter's in 1967 along with a semi-inletted stock. It looked a little like a "first attempt" at rifle building, but it would shoot 1/2 inch groups all day long. I still have the action, contemplating building another rifle on it. I used the barrel up and did not care for it well. The bore is pitted. The action, however, is a true jewel.

I would highly recommend your buying the rifle that you have offered to you.

Clemson

If you enjoyed reading about "Sako Vixen .223" here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!