I lost a friend from a gunshot.

PDA

ole farmerbuck
March 1, 2010, 09:52 PM
I've known her for about 33 or 34 years. We dated for a long time but havent seen her for a few years. I dont know all of the details since it just happened yesterday but from what i was told, she was in the front seat passenger side and was shot by a guy sitting in the back seat with a 9mm. I was told it went through the seat and through her heart which means she died rather quickly. Unnecessary, unexcusable and completely wrong. He should have never had the gun out messing with it. I'll get more details tonight hopefully.:mad:

If you enjoyed reading about "I lost a friend from a gunshot." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!
Mad Magyar
March 1, 2010, 10:09 PM
Sorry for your loss....Any more details to share?

ole farmerbuck
March 1, 2010, 10:10 PM
Thanks. Nothing till later i guess. What i wrote was what i heard from her Sister.

Flint Ridge
March 1, 2010, 10:40 PM
I work safety and sometimes it is really weird the accidents people walk away from when there is no way they could survive. Then others all the factors just happen to be lined up against them, the specifics are impossible to imagine.

Again sorry, nothing can really help now. I can't imagine being on the other end of this - causing someone else harm.

Pray for the family...

leadcounsel
March 1, 2010, 10:43 PM
Sorry for your loss. We just had a guy in my unit get shot by some thugs following him and his friends home from the club. Thugs shot, from a moving car, into a moving car, through the trunk and into the car where our guy was seated. 9mm killed him.

Freak accidents sometimes...

Gunfighter123
March 1, 2010, 10:49 PM
Sorry to hear of your loss ---- we will pray for her and her loved ones. May she R.I.P.

Hatterasguy
March 1, 2010, 11:32 PM
Sorry for your loss. I'll pray for your friend.

lilidiot
March 2, 2010, 12:17 AM
Sorry for your loss. The 9 mm is a very lethal round indeed.

Confederate
March 2, 2010, 01:13 AM
I also would like to know the details.

Although I'll probably get slammed for this, I believe autos like the Glock ought to have safeties. I'm disturbed by the high number of accidental discharges (even among cops) with Glocks and other polymer guns that are easy to set off. People buy them, but many are ill equipped to use them. Back in 1998, the Washington, D.C., Police Department had a real problem (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/local/longterm/dcpolice/deadlyforce/police4page1.htm) with trying to train its police. Every police department and agency that has switched to the Glock has had an increased number of accidental discharges.

I love Glocks as a gun, but they require rigorous training to use safely, and it's just not taught. Anyone can walk into a store, buy one and carry one with a permit.

If a polymer gun was not involved in this tragic shooting, then I apologize for my soap box rant, but putting a safety on a trigger is like putting a brake on an accelerator.

At any rate, my condolences.

chris in va
March 2, 2010, 04:37 AM
Oh wow, that has to be painful for you. 34 years is a long time to know someone. I'd say I'm sorry, but considering I just went through a death recently myself I really don't want to hear anyone say that to me anymore.

Was the guy arrested I take it?

beezy25
March 2, 2010, 04:48 AM
so sorry:( makes me scared that i just bought my first gun

aHFo3
March 2, 2010, 04:55 AM
I'm sorry for your loss. That is a horrible event to happen to anybody. I'll pray.

Beezy, welcome to the forum. Train to become familiar with your gun, and follow the rules. Accidents do happen, but preventing carelessness greatly reduces the frequency of accidents. As others have said, "the best safety is between your ears."

Autolycus
March 2, 2010, 05:27 AM
I am sorry for your losse.

Confederate: Lets not go into that in this thread. If you start a new one please post a link and we can debate the merits of safeties in a new thread.

ole farmerbuck
March 2, 2010, 07:43 AM
Thank you to all of you again. Yes 30+ years is a long time. Her Brother called lastnight but he wouldnt go into much detail yet. He said they were on their way to his house when it happened. He said the guy who shot her is not in jail....yet and is not sure whats going on for sure. He said it brings back old memories from when he was younger. He always looked up to me and he still does. Its about 150 miles away but i used to travel it every weekend so i'm going to see if i can get away to go to the funeral. Again, thanks for your thoughts and prayers.
I told him i know how he feels since i just lost another Sister from fighting a Glioma brain tumor for 2 years. She was only 47 with 7 kids the youngest in 7th grade.

Gouranga
March 2, 2010, 08:38 AM
Horrible man. I am very sorry for your loss. Definitely keep you guys in my prayers.

Without the details, all I will say on the safety front is this, all it takes is a second of complacency from an otherwise extremely safe gunner to have a horrible accident. Know your weapon, know its features/quirks and never fail to take them seriously. I could not imagine being the guy responsible for doing this to a friend or relative.

mcdonl
March 2, 2010, 09:18 AM
OP, sorry for your loss and I hope this is not disrespectful....

Beezy said.....
so sorry makes me scared that i just bought my first gun

Dont be:

Rule #1 - Assume all guns are loaded (Suppose this was violated)
Rule #2 - Dont point at something you dont want to destroy (Violated)
Rule #3 - Dont put your finger on the trigger unless you are going to shoot (Uknown, but probably this rule was violated too)
Rule #4 - Know your target and whats beyond it (Violated)

If you follow all of these simple rules, this would not have happened unless of course it was a murder.

Just One Shot
March 2, 2010, 10:17 AM
Prayer sent for all involved.

19-3Ben
March 2, 2010, 10:30 AM
Darned shame. My condolences.

ole farmerbuck
March 2, 2010, 10:50 AM
I just talked to her Mother. As expected, it is being investigated as we speak. I'm planning to go to the funeral and will hopefully learn more. Sad deal.

mcdonl
March 2, 2010, 11:58 AM
Every parents biggest fear. It is so unnatural to outlive your children. Thanks for keeping us posted and I hope that our collective shoulder will help as you deal with this.

BlayGlock
March 2, 2010, 12:22 PM
Sorry :( Ill say a prayer for you.

dom1104
March 2, 2010, 12:27 PM
I am confused.

It was accidental? or murder?

Either way, condolences. Tragic.

All that matters now is her standing with the Lord.

ljnowell
March 2, 2010, 12:35 PM
Losing a friend in a tragic way stinks. On september 19, 2009 my best friend, shooting buddy, reloading buddy, and generally only guy I could count on, took his own life. It left me reeling, looking for some sense in it. I have still not completely come to terms with it. Its a hard thing to deal with, no doubt.

My sincerest wishes for you to find some peace. Its not an easy thing to do in light of such a tragic occurence.

Confederate
March 2, 2010, 02:49 PM
It's almost certainly accidental. If the bullet went through the back seat, it most likely was an unintended discharge. If this is the case, it's entirely understandable that we would be angry at the shooter, but it's something he'll have to live with for the rest of his life.

My firearms instructor told me years ago that's one reason home defenders should never fire in the dark. It's much better to be injured or killed than to shoot a loved one by mistake.

It's tough to imprison a man for a second of negligence; however, if one has been drinking or is criminally negligent, he'srossed the line.

I had a friend whose two kids found the loaded 1911 that belonged to him. He hadn't carefully hidden or secured it, and after one of the kids accidentally discharged it, the shot went wild. Fortunately it jammed, and the kids couldn't fix it. My friend found the gun stuffed haphazzard into the holster and a bullet hole in the wall, and he got the truth out of his kids. One of the kids, years later, told me that the bullet missed his brother by mere inches.

It was tough on the father and the boy who shot the gun.

rha600
March 2, 2010, 02:52 PM
Wow that sucks.

I had to look at where you are from because this same EXACT thing just happened to a girl down here in FLA only it was (I think) a .22 pistol the passenger in the back seat was "playing with".

btw, the one down here I read about, I didn't know the people at all.

shootr
March 2, 2010, 03:18 PM
So sorry to hear of this senseless loss and prayers for those involved.

Many years ago when still a boy my younger brother's best friend was killed in an accidental shooting - neighbor kid showing off and playing with a gun in the basement.

These things are just tragic beyond words.

usp9
March 2, 2010, 04:29 PM
My condolences. It isn't easy losing friends to violence. I've lost seven coworkers and one neighbor that way. Don't try to make sense of it, just live your life as if it may end today.

Spencer_OKC
March 2, 2010, 04:51 PM
Very sorry for your loss.

It never ceases to amaze me the number of people who cannot follow a few basic, simple rules.

The gun is loaded. Keep your finger off the trigger. Don't point the gun at anything you don't want to destroy.

figment
March 2, 2010, 05:00 PM
bad news, very sorry.

orrwdd
March 2, 2010, 05:13 PM
beezy25: so sorry makes me scared that i just bought my first gun

Don't be sorry. Be responsible and get some professional training on handgun safety. The 4 rules stated earlier are a good start.

Get to know your gun, and Practice often. Many accidents are caused by people not familiar enough with the controls fumbling with the gun. For this reason I always recommend a beginner start with a revolver no larger than a 38/357.

Get to know the rules of when to use a gun and when not to. If your life or someone elses is not in danger, don't pull it out.

With a little preparation you can be like many of us that have spent 40 - 50 years or more with handguns without harming anyone.

Bill

Boulder
March 2, 2010, 07:33 PM
My condolences.

Tim the student
March 5, 2010, 02:32 AM
I very rarely come here to this sub-forum, and this is the last thing I wanted to see.

I'm so sorry for your loss.

My condolences.

ole farmerbuck
March 5, 2010, 06:42 AM
I went to the funeral the other day and i'm glad i did. Her Mother and Brothers were very glad to see me as i was to see them. She's at peace now. I havent heard anything except for that she was clean, nothing in her system that wasnt suppose to be there. Thanks for all of your kind words.

SSN Vet
March 5, 2010, 04:38 PM
Sorry to hear of the loss of your dear friend Buck....

May the God of all comfort be with you and her family.

Enachos
March 5, 2010, 04:55 PM
Sorry to hear this...

Everytime someone asks to see my pistol I ALWAYS clear it properly, inspect the chamber, and I ALWAYS tell them to keep the finger off the trigger (even when I know it's not loaded)... they always reply with "Yeah, yeah, I know" but I don't care what they think. If they want to handle my gun they better abide by my rules!

psyopspec
March 6, 2010, 12:33 AM
I'm disturbed by the high number of accidental discharges (even among cops) with Glocks and other polymer guns that are easy to set off.

Those are negligent discharges. The gun functioned as it was designed to do, and the errors are completely on the user.

Farmerbuck, my thoughts are with you man. Condolences.

FROGO207
March 6, 2010, 02:16 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with you and those impacted by this sad event.

Dobe
March 6, 2010, 08:54 AM
very sorry for your loss.

Mr. Bojangles
March 6, 2010, 08:55 AM
Very sorry to hear that. We will keep all of you in our prayers.

HisSoldier
March 6, 2010, 04:15 PM
All that matters now is her standing with the Lord.

Yep, the time to pray for people is while they are alive.

brassdog
March 6, 2010, 07:30 PM
I am so sorry to hear of your friend's passing.
I will pray for her family and that they can find the strength to continue with life. Losing a parent is very hard on a family. At this point they will need all the support they can get.

Walkalong
March 6, 2010, 09:42 PM
Man that's tough. Stupid careless people really piss me off, and this is a prime example why.

Glad to hear you could be a help to friends during a tough time. AC

ole farmerbuck
March 6, 2010, 11:31 PM
Again, thanks to all for your thoughts and prayers. I didnt hear anything today so i will call them tomorrow.

If you enjoyed reading about "I lost a friend from a gunshot." here in TheHighRoad.org archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join TheHighRoad.org today for the full version!